Go to page Previous  1, 2

Michael Edelson wrote:

In the 15th century, one of the techniques of scabbard making was to use very thin slats of wood pressed to the sword and wrapped in linen, then leather. This resulted in a scabbard that would flex rather than break. It's a neat idea.

That's actually a very interesting nugget of information - are there any sources that describe this technique, as I might be interested in trying this out?
Jason G. Smith wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

In the 15th century, one of the techniques of scabbard making was to use very thin slats of wood pressed to the sword and wrapped in linen, then leather. This resulted in a scabbard that would flex rather than break. It's a neat idea.

That's actually a very interesting nugget of information - are there any sources that describe this technique, as I might be interested in trying this out?

There's a site that has a step by step guide with photos. Brian has it...I'll get him to email it to you.

It's very easy...you take two thin slats of wood and cut them to shape on either side of the sword. Protect the sword (oil, plastic) then wet or steam the wood and press it around the sword and wrapit tight to dry. When it dries, wrap it in linen (while on the sword) soaking in glue, let dry. Once dry, cover with leater and add chape.

You get a very thin and felxible scabbard that will bend rather than break.
Hi, could I get that link as well please?

Nice work on the scabbard as well.
Michael Edelson wrote:

There's a site that has a step by step guide with photos. Brian has it...I'll get him to email it to you.

It's very easy...you take two thin slats of wood and cut them to shape on either side of the sword. Protect the sword (oil, plastic) then wet or steam the wood and press it around the sword and wrapit tight to dry. When it dries, wrap it in linen (while on the sword) soaking in glue, let dry. Once dry, cover with leater and add chape.

You get a very thin and felxible scabbard that will bend rather than break.

That's sweet. I definitely want to try this out. Thanks, Michael. I await the link, Master.
Michael Edelson wrote:

Could you also PM or e-mail me this link? Mention of it has definitely piqued my curiousity!
Is there a reason not to post the link for everyone to benefit from? It seems silly to do all this privately.
Yes, I'd like to benefit from the linkage as well! :-)
Chad Arnow wrote:
Is there a reason not to post the link for everyone to benefit from? It seems silly to do all this privately.

Hi Chad and Shamsi,

I have every intention of posting the link, but my friend hasn't responded yet. Holidays and all that.
No problem, I'm patient. :D

Happy (belated) holidays!
The link is http://www.medievalwares.com/scabbards/scabbardconstruction.html and is a speculative method of historic scabbard reconstruction, the FAQ is courtesy of Gaukler of Gaulkler's medieval wares.
Brian Hook wrote:
The link is http://www.medievalwares.com/scabbards/scabbardconstruction.html and is a speculative method of historic scabbard reconstruction, the FAQ is courtesy of Gaukler of Gaulkler's medieval wares.

Cool - thank you.

BTW, Michael - in my excitement I forgot to let you know that I think your new scabbard is quite well done. Good work!

Some thoughts now -

Could the wood have been profiles a bit more to the shape of the blade, or would that interfere with the shaping process? And the linen - could it be soaked in glue? Just meandering here, stop me if I'm not making any sense.

And since this comes from Brian, Michael's historical-correctness fascist ;) I'll take it as being at the very least plausible construction, if not probable.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: