Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 16th Century Rapier Length Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basically, if you use your longer sword correctly, you will retain the initiative and thus prevent your shorter opponent from utilizing his advantage in close-in fighting.

It's not a case of having your cake and eating it. You'd still be vulnerable if your enemy can get within the arc of your weapon--but if you have any respect for your own life, you'd employ your repertoire of techniques in such a way that the enemy wouldn't be able to force you into this kind of situation. And the extra length of your sword allows you to do this better because it'll keep the enemy at an even greater distance and force him to move even farther before he can put his advantage in close-in situations into play.
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

I think part of the misunderstanding stems from the fact that you are comparing two different ways of gaining reach. The advantages and disavantages that one can get are not the same in both cases.

I believe what has been said is along the lines of:
- to the less tall fencer, a longer weapon is not always an advantage even though it extends reach
- to the taller fencer, a shorter weapon is a relative disavantage even though the reach is still in his favour

You don't get the same effect when you pick a longer sword and when you grow longer limbs, even though you end up with the same total reach. But obviously the second solution is hard to test Happy

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I get it allright; there are THREE factors to take into consideration:
1. the reach of the fencer
2. the length of the blade
3. the biomechanical relation between blade and fencer

I can understand 3. and also that is not one single magical number.
1. and 2. is where I get ' confused' as both have their advantages/disadvantages on either end and within the margins of 3. there is quite a bit of play in the trades-offs.

peter
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My primary rapier form is case. I also hold my rapiers further back on the handle so I gain some extra reach. I normally use a 36" in my leadhand and a 40" in my rearhand. The shorter rapier in the leadhand gives me a better leverage. The longer rapier in the rear hand allows me the same reach as the lead rapier and also hides my true range. During the course of the fight as my opponent gets use to the range of the 36" in my leadhand I may switch up and lead with the 40". My opponent is usually taken by surprise at the additional range. If fencing another 40" I usually lead with my 40" from the start.

I have enough strength to use a 40" the same as a 36". They only weigh 2.5 lbs but a longer weapon is harder to handle. Most people do not have the strength and have to fight a different fight with a 40". With a 36" they will generally keep the point in line and move the hilt to parry. With a 40" you will often see people move their body and the hilt. Moving the body is slower, so most people fence better with a 36". A 40" favors angled attacks. A 36" is often too short for that. Another popular method people use with a 40" is to aim the point high and let it drop to the target.

These are my preferred instruments of death. My ring and pinky fingers sits in that second tier on the grip. No cup hilt or swept guard for me. My hands are fast enough that they rarely get hit. Holding the grip further back is my hand protection. I do not advise these Alchem rapiers for beginners.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
I have enough strength to use a 40" the same as a 36". They only weigh 2.5 lbs but a longer weapon is harder to handle.[/img]

Even with the same p.o.b. the longe blade will still have a tip at a longer ' arm' and this tip will also be moving at a higher speed at the same angle speed.

Thanks for the comparative example Vassilis: 4" difference equals to pubic zone and navel per example Laughing Out Loud

Peter
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have not tried any rapier technique, only longsword. That said, momentum (~represented by mass X PoB) might also become a factor in this. If a longer sword is proportionally heavier, it begins to gain an advantage in being more likely to upset (set it aside, stop or break through the opponent's swing) the strike of the shorter sword. A person who is not tall, but is fit and strong, might want to beef up their blade weight (depending upon their speed and style of fencing) in addition to making sure the length is comfortable. Ultimately, the entire design of the sword could be tailored to the traits of the fencer, not just scaled in proportion to their height.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been able to read Thibault again, I can try to sum up what he says about the length of the sword. There is a whole section about that Happy It starts in Book I, Table I, page 14. I'm trying to translate from French, here are the most relevant parts:

Girard Thibault wrote:
Let us speak now of the Sword, and of its true length, which is proportionnate and convenient for all the motions of the human body, and consequently the best of all.

It is astonishing, that among those who have professed the Arms during their whole life, and published their writings accross the World, so few discuss this subject [...] Some did speak about it, and even determined the length of the sword, but more according to the taste of some cowards, who like to have very long weapons, so as to remain always at a distance, than to any demonstration of Science. And such is the opinion of those who want that the blades be equal to two full arms, such that setting the point on the ground beside the man, the pommel comes to his armpit; which is rather the length of an Espadon than that of a Sword: besides, it will necessarily be unsightly and inconvenient, as much to carry at one's side, as to draw out of the scabbard, and also dangerous and unwieldly to use.

[...] I say that there are occasions more favourable for longer swords, and others for shorter ones. And so if we must assign a length, it has to be between the extremes, such that it is average; neither too short against long swords, nor too long against short swords, and in every occasions suitably handy. And as it is necessary that such a length be proportionnate to the person, we deduced and demonstrated it out from the measure of his body; [...] that is to say, the tip being on the ground between the hollow of his feet, the quillons reach exactly the height of the navel; [...]

Thibault then goes on describing several figures that illustrate his points. You can see them on Plate I here, all around Thibault's circle, labeled A through K.

- Figure A (top, left) shows how the proposed length does not hinder when carried at the side.
- Figure B (top, middle left) shows the starting position for drawing the sword.
- Figure C (top, middle right) shows how to draw the sword. The caption specifically says "It appears that our blade is so long, that it cannot be made longer without notable inconvenience [in this situation]."
- Figure G (bottom left) and H (bottom right) show how the length is still convenient for short distances, allowing the user to repel the opponent with either foot or hand and thrust at him at the same time.
- Figure D, E, F, I and K are just generic properties of the chosen proportion: relation to the height of the body, to the step, to the circle, and how to stand in guard so that the reach is maximal.

All in all, pretty much every argument he makes has already been mentioned in this thread, but I thought it could be useful to include the explanations of one of the old masters for reference...

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I have not tried any rapier technique, only longsword. That said, momentum (~represented by mass X PoB) might also become a factor in this.

I also think this is in part why the proportion recommended for cutting swords generally gives a shorter blade than for thrusting swords.

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:

- Figure A (top, left) shows how the proposed length does not hinder when carried at the side.
- Figure C (top, middle right) shows how to draw the sword. The caption specifically says "It appears that our blade is so long, that it cannot be made longer without notable inconvenience [in this situation]."

Thank you Vincent.

These two stand out to me as down to earth logical limitations on rapier blade length. A taller guy can in both cases carry a longer blade.
I LOVE these kind of basic selective conditions Laughing Out Loud

So, how long should a rapier blade be? As long as you can still swiftly draw (and comfortably wear). Brilliant!

This is also btw a very neat logical indicator about the how and why of the belt carriers or baldric, belt clip for rapiers and their devellopment Idea

peter

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 16th Century Rapier Length
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: