Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > CAS Hanwei - No more hollow pommels Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
B. Pogue
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: CAS Hanwei - No more hollow pommels         Reply with quote

Hello,

Some of you may not be aware of the hollow pommel issue affecting some of our european sharp and practical models. In short, a (poor) change was made to pommel design at some time in the past to compensate for blade changes in the line. In some instances the pommels were hollowed to decrease weight. The issue came to light after we ran across some posts at SFI and later SBG (linked below), if you would like the full back story it is the place to start:

http://sbgswordforum.proboards70.com/index.cg...1174255940

We've gotten our first run of solid pommel Bastard Swords in with details in the link above.

We've also confirmed that all pommels on our european swords will be solid going forward. As with the Bastard Sword the switch to a solid pommel on the other affected models may warrant slight blade changes... won't know for sure until we start getting prototypes.

Blake
Luka Borscak

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to this change. I would have bought Bastard or Albrecht II if they had solid pommels but I couldn't wait for this to happen and ordered a Del Tin (better definitely but much more expensive)... But when they come I will probably get one.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad you guys are addressing durability and handling issues. I should point out, though, that a properly done, historically-based hollow pommel could work well in some cases.

From what I've seen though, simply running the wood grip up through the pommel and having the tang only meeting the pommel at the peen would create shearing stresses and other bad things.

In situations where a designer feels a hollow pommel would address handling issues, it might be good to follow the historical examples we know about.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is indeed good news.

The Bastard Sword in particular sounds like it's receiving a much needed revision. Durability aside, the balance felt considerably nose-heavy before. A weightier pommel is just what this piece needed.

Are you guys taking trade-ins for upgrades? Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As much as I want to say "Oh well, shame it broke" and move on, this is a really serious issue to me. With what these swords claim to be and their intended use, someone could have gotten seriously hurt or worse. While I fully aware that any sword can break why vastly increase the chance of catastrophic failure for the sake of cutting corners for profit margin. And that's what to me this comes down to. The swords need to come in at a certain price point so compromises are made and the end result is this and other failures I've seen in swords such as these. Wouldn't it be better to charge a little more and deliver something that will under normal circumstances function as intended without undue failure caused by design flaws? I know nothings perfect but really this is the fourth Paul Chen I've seen fail in one way or another. So please if your reading this do the right thing with these swords or one day someone will be seriously injured needlessly by a sword failure that could have been prevented at the design stage. In this country an incident like that could seriously set back HEMA and could lead to who knows what else. Let's hope that Hanwei will step up to the plate here and do it right the first time next time they release a sword model. Their nice looking and handling swords and I'd rather pay $300 for it knowing it's done to the best of their abilities and with my safety in mind.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you go to this thread and scroll down you can see what the new pommel will look like, as well as stats on the redesign.

Jonathan
B. Pogue
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
As much as I want to say "Oh well, shame it broke" and move on, this is a really serious issue to me.

Hello Mike, I assure you these issues are indeed being worked on, if you read the thread in it's entirety you will see that it has been addressed and changed for the Bastard Sword and in the works for the other models. In fact I have just finished destroying one of the new models and will be posting pictures of the tang / pommel etc once I return home (I work for CAS remotely and am setup there).

Once the issue was found we put a halt to the production of these swords until a suitable solution was put into place and the culmination of that process are the redesigned swords we just got in house.

Take care,
Blake

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > CAS Hanwei - No more hollow pommels
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic