Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > @$%#&! I dropped my sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy,
Maybe some photographs of the damage would solicit a selection of practical solutions, possibly from some of the Industry Professionals on the Forum, that will solve your dilemma.
Regards,
Norman.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy,
My Sovereign got knocked over into some other swords a while back and the blade got a good-sized knick in it. The knick/ding/roll was a few inches from the guard where the blade curves out to meet the guard.

I wouldn't have tried to fix it myself, so I sent it back to Albion. They did a great job on it. They took out the knick and worked the edge profile on that side to make it less obvious.

You can find more info here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8258

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chad,

I do recall your positive experience with Albion and your sword. I am hopeful that this can be done in my case also- this would be quite ideal. Unfortunately, as I wrote before for some reason the responses I have received have not come across as strongly positive or encouraging.

To be honest I believe this tone may have come from the fact that mine is a second-hand sword and so may carry and different level of- I can't think of the best word for what I am looking for.

Nevertheless the folks at Albion are very skilled and I am sure they may be able to atleast make some improvement to my poor injured Duke.

Thanks, Chad for your input,
Jeremy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy,
I'd think they'd work on any of their swords, second-hand or not. They get the money for fixing it either way. Happy

Seriously, I think it's worth looking into. Whose responses haven't been positive? Has Albion mentioned they might not be able to fix it? Or have other people expressed doubts about the damage's "fixability"?

I was pretty fortunate in where my damage occured, since they were able to fix it and then flatten out the curve a bit to make it less noticeable. Mine was fixed by Jason Dingledine before he left Albion. If Albion can't tackle it for some reason, it might be worth contacting Jason directly.

Happy

ChadA

George Davidson

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Davidson wrote:
dropped, fell over and bent/twisted the basket on my 4 day old schiavona ... that was 10 days ago.

Meant to post this earlier ... scurried round to ArmourClass last week (they are just 4 miles from my house). Held my head in shame as i explained what I had done. By the time I had explained what I'd managed ... it was fixed. Big Grin
All I can say is ... ArmourClass - top blokes!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know that I could maintain self control living just four miles from Armour Class, it's tough enough being under 18 miles from www.kultofathena.com Exclamation Those are some gorgeous swords at Armour Class.
I once scuffed the pommel on my Albion Berserkr when it made contact with the concrete sidewalk in the front of my townhouse. After cussing myself out royally, i got the fine file, honing oil, sandpaper grits from 180 to 2000 and made it disappear. I was very lucky the damage was small and it was quite a sigh of relief when I finished the repair to the pommel scuff which was on the top surface.
I had been trying to do too much too fast in setting things up to cut jugs in my driveway and "Haste makes Waste" took place Exclamation

Best of Luck to All Who have an accident to a collectable!

Bob
Sammy Jackson

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: hey guys         Reply with quote

Intresting thread! im so sorry Jeremy. that just sucks. but now you know what it can take.. And Honestly thats what bothers me.

Hasnt anyone wondered why the Albions have been having these issues? is it bad tempering? i expect alot from my blades and i use them hard and well.

my old Atrim leafblade's tip bent once. as i was plunging it into a 16G brast plate. (very cool Experiment btw) and i was still kinda upset. My Vinland didnt do half that. Albions suppose to be upper eschelon in this industry, the only sword i ever bought from them bent after cutting into soft wood...the replacement did aswell.

sih'

sammy the man
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: hey guys         Reply with quote

Most people would consider chopping wood as sword abuse, something many historically-based (and antique) swords wouldn't have held up to.

Albion tempers their swords to a much harder edge than historical swords and uses more consistent steel than available in-period. Their blades have similar amount of hardness as the rest of the big makers on the market. Their lead designer has spent more time examining, handling, and measuring antiques than most people ever will. I would imagine they know what they're doing. Happy Not that occasional clinkers ca't get through.

Many antiques in museums show nicks on the blades and/or evidence of the edges being honed to fix nicks. Many swords will bend (or worse) chopping wood. Thrusting into a breastplate will similarly cause damage to many swords.

Swords are not indestructible, after all. Happy

Your Vinland is a Viking sword with flex to the blade that's normal for the type. If you smash into into something hard and not terribly yielding, it will likely bend it, which is better than having it break.

Happy

ChadA

Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the subject of tempering - A couple weeks ago at the Chivalric Weekend in Sandy Creek, Dan Maragni had an interesting discussion about how some swords weren't even tempered at all to prevent a brittle failure. The reasoning behind this being that a bent sword could be straightened, whereas a broken sword isn't much good. There was an early Crusades era sword there as a demonstration of this; it had a brittle failure after about 8 inches of blade...the rest was missing in action :P
To relate this back to the topic, a period sword would probably have had the same issue, if not more so.

In my opinion, swords are not intended for chopping wood - that's what axes are for. Especially in a soft wood, a flexible blade could be caught and twisted fairly easily.

Swords aren't really for "plunging into breastplates" either, so I would say the damage taken by both blades is reasonable.

www.addisondelisle.com
Vay Duong

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Albion Ritter has two edge rolls around the COP area. My cutting stand has a 9/16" thick steel rod instead of a wooden spike sticking out of it. My friend tried to squeeze an extra cut out of a mat once and hit the spike. The edge rolled on the blade but it also left a very decent cut into the rod. I wanted to show him how it was done and ending up doing the same thing on the other edge. Both around the COP. This also left a cut in the rod about maybe 1/8" deep. I was able to send the sword back to Mike for repairs and now it looks fine. You can tell where the nicks were, but only at certain angles. But the damage to the rod compared to the edge of the ritter was a testament to Albion's excellent temper.

Just a note, another friend of mine hit that same rod with a PPK once and a huge chunk of edge just chipped right off. Maybe 1/4" into his blade and 1/2" long.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you should feel absolutely horrible about this. After all, real medieval swords were never, ever damaged this way and stayed pristine and perfect throughout their entire service life. In fact if a medieval warrior dinged his sword like that he'd probably just throw it away and order a new one.

Happy Happy

I was like you once. Your condition is not incurable. Happy

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
I think you should feel absolutely horrible about this. After all, real medieval swords were never, ever damaged this way and stayed pristine and perfect throughout their entire service life. In fact if a medieval warrior dinged his sword like that he'd probably just throw it away and order a new one.

Happy Happy

I was like you once. Your condition is not incurable. Happy

Happy once again Mr Edelson has amused me.

" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just want to remind folks that though I am annoyed that my edge was damaged I did drop it on a metal dumb bell so I am not surprised that the edge was damaged. This was my blunder and not related to albion's craftsmanship. I feel that my albions have sufficiently hard edges.

Once I order a box from albion I will send it to them and see what they can do.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know how you feel man. I was working on a Paul Chen practical plus tanto a few months ago. it was sitting on the edge of my couch. I sat down (without thinking) and when the couch lowered the blade fell off right onto the tile floor. The blade shot out a burst of sparks, and I had a nice tiny little fracture taken out of the tip. Luckily, damaged kissaki are pretty easy to fix on Japanese blades as you only nned to curve the edge a bit more into a tip with sharpening stones, then polish and sharpen up.
How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know how I would feel if it were my sword....................angry - with myself for letting it happen ! But, accidents do happen.

But spare a thought for Professor A.Z Freeman of the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA. He was a noted collector of Japanese swords. He dropped one of his blades, a late 13th century nagamaki, onto a piece of petrified wood by accident, and two inches of the edge fell out !! Eek! Luckilly on closer inspection he saw that in fact it was a piece of the petrified wood that had chipped off. The blade was quite untouched. He named the blade Ishigiri ( stone cutting sword ) after the incident ! That blade he sold at Sotheby's, London in 1997 for Ł30.000 !! Eek! How would you have felt about dropping that one !!??

Regards,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cannot imagine dropping an antique- and from the 13th c.!!!

This would be tragic.

Jeremy
Bobby Siecker

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Swords are tools of violence. Not delicate pieces of art.         Reply with quote

I think I must agree with the "more caracter trough damage" side of the debate. It seems that many people tend to forget that swords are tools of violence and abuse. Ofcourse, hacking concrete blocks is never a good idea, and not an action where the weapon was intendet for, but battering steel armour plates and flesh is. A pristine sword hanging at the wall is like the best apple pie you have ever backed. Looking and smelling so delicious you acually do not want to eat it. A pure waste. In stead of tasting it you keep looking at it and pondering how wonderfull it is and how delicious it would taste.

A blade at the wall is nothing more then a dull mirror. So go out and be violent with it. although I suggest you vent your wrath on plastic bottles rather than your fellow human.

As for the workmanship of Albion... One should not forget that they try to come as close to the original swords as possible. During the battles it was certiantly not uncommon for the swords to get some pitting. Or worse, breaking! Swords are in the first place tools, not works of art.

And if you want a sword that does not pit or chip or break. Perhaps it is wise to start looking for a swordmaker that uses titanium blades or space age steel alloys.

Bobby Siecker

The blade is only as sharp as your own personality.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would agree that if one uses a sword one should expect at least some minor but acceptable damage. It is still all right to keep it pristine but one can't do both 100%: If one limits oneself to soft targets a little easy to clean up scuffing of the finish is the least one should expect and although one can restore the finish to very similar to what it was unused it's still no longer pristine.

Actual battle use would have caused at the least some dulling of edges and minor nicks, none of which making the sword unusable and would be reparable with a good refinishing and resharpening.

Oh, and Titanium is a " soft " material at least compared to hardened steel and would nick and notch much more deeply than steel. Titanium is very strong for it's weight and almost completely corrosion proof and is used in blades used to find or defuse mines or IEDs as it is non-magnetic. It will take a decent edge and is easy to sharpen but edge to edge contact would be very damaging to a Titanium edge.

A space age metal/material might one day be develop that would be better than steel but today it would be called
" Unobtanium ". Wink Laughing Out Loud

A memory metal that might notch but would heal itself after a day. Wink Laughing Out Loud

But I do get what you mean about a sword being considered a " work tool " in period and only breakage or bending with a set would relegate it to the junk pile I think. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Everyone else has already said this, but I think that you might need to just treat it like a used car and call the nick a shopping cart dent. I have several swords that are really nice, including one I hilted up around a Del Tin blade, and the problem with them is that I obsess over scratching them up. My self-done Del Tin "Federschwert "(see my post under Historical Arms Talk for details) came to me rusty, nicked and loose all over, and after the appropriate clean up it is now my favorite, as I don't have to worry about getting it messy. If you don't enjoy your sword, you won't practice with it, and if you don't form a muscle to metal bond with it, it'll never be a part of you. Nobody is physically perfect, and no sword is, either. Just enjoy your new baby and don't sweat the ding. Happy
"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Jaroslaw Dominski

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there,

Jeremy, I can understand your sadness and pain at damaging sword, but I cannot agree with such a look. If your sword is 'broken', and you do not have idea how to fix it just use it for training, and then buy another to put it on the wall!
It is joke but who knows?

Sword is not just ordinary furniture, I think, and any scraches, nicks or other damages could be its history. That nick on blade could be your own mark, your own history which is related to history of the sword.
From time to time I take a part in parrying and inscenization of battles (besides regular training), and my rapier (Igiełka - which means: tiny needle) couldn`t be a sample of beauty, but I know every mark on it, like every scar on my body - in fact I don`t have any scars from fencing, but it is just example Happy

It is you who must decide if you want to repair this sword.
Barbarous thing but... take hammer, and rattle off nick, if there would be any deficency, use tin to fill it and then file - i belive that on the wall nobody will see your amends.

And please excuse my ordinary and simple english, my native language is polish. I belive that my reply is understandable Wink

Attachment: 102.05 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 92.4 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > @$%#&! I dropped my sword
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: