Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking advice on dealing with a maker Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman is absolutely 100% correct, additionally, his description of the conduct of businesss was most eloquent Exclamation

Respectfully!

Bob
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on dealing with a maker         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Hi Chad

I don't have any advice for you, however, I do want to mention something from a manufacturer's standpoint. Not to make excuses, just to give an idea of the headache involved........

Third party suppliers involved really make a mess out of things sometimes. This is not what could be considered a profitable business, so when you're stuck between a customer and a supplier, its not always possible to pull things from said supplier, and take it elsewhere. So, you're stuck, have an understandably upset customer, and a very difficult situation in trying to take care of the problem.........

Your vendor is probably trying to do all he can to rectify it....... and it ain't happenin'.

Maybe your vendor has something else in stock that you'll take instead? Just a thought...........

Gus,
I'm sure it's sucked for them. On a personal level, I feel badly for them. However, it's their business to deal with unfortunately. My concern is my end: paying what I owe them and getting the wares.

As far as taking something else that's in stock, that won't remedy things in this case. I need one part of a weapon...

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could the good components be recycled into something else?

Could a set of alternate parts be created?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since this maker has changed the nature of the item, even though you are not the original buyer- they accepted the item and attempted a repair, I think they should compensate you in a manner you both agree on. If communication has broken down you may need an attorney to send them a note. Something to "turn up the heat" a bit, anyway.; 10 months is long enough, you've been more than reasonable.
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on dealing with a maker         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Jonathan Blair wrote:
I know you feel strongly about this, but in our "buyer beware" culture, it's not a bad thing to let people know that a vendor is having difficulties, so that potential buyers can weigh this against their wish to purchase.

Jonathan,
As I said, that's not going to happen. Happy This supply issue only affects a very, very small portion on their product line because of the material involved.

I agree it sounds like a special case and does not reflect badly on their product or their everyday/normal customer service, so a " heads-up " about it naming the maker would be unfair and not information or a warning we need to know.

Maybe, they sort of shouldn't have initiated an attempted repair without being sure they could pull it off: They assumed extra responsibility by making it worse and it then became their problem of finding a solution. If they had done no work on it then their only fault could be the time it has taken so far and there not just sending it back to you sooner with an explanation why they couldn't do the repair.

Seem like a very special case since you got it second hand and the problem wasn't their problem until they accepted to try to fix it: I don't think this case is the best example or test case representing the type of general customer service problems you mention in your original post. It may be a case of cumulative frustration with the general customer service culture predisposing you to see this one as more of the same ? Lack of proactive communication and repeated missed dealines might qualify though !

Their mistake was on receiving the piece they made an error in estimating how easy it would be to fix and accepting to attempt it. They probably let their desire to help you out influence their decision to try in the first place. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on dealing with a maker         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:
Hi Chad

I don't have any advice for you, however, I do want to mention something from a manufacturer's standpoint. Not to make excuses, just to give an idea of the headache involved........

Third party suppliers involved really make a mess out of things sometimes. This is not what could be considered a profitable business, so when you're stuck between a customer and a supplier, its not always possible to pull things from said supplier, and take it elsewhere. So, you're stuck, have an understandably upset customer, and a very difficult situation in trying to take care of the problem.........

Your vendor is probably trying to do all he can to rectify it....... and it ain't happenin'.

Maybe your vendor has something else in stock that you'll take instead? Just a thought...........

Gus,
I'm sure it's sucked for them. On a personal level, I feel badly for them. However, it's their business to deal with unfortunately. My concern is my end: paying what I owe them and getting the wares.

As far as taking something else that's in stock, that won't remedy things in this case. I need one part of a weapon...

Thanks Chad, for posting this thread. As I "reboot" my business over the next four months, I intend to add a lot of the lessons learned here to the business.............

swords are fun
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chad.

Just to clarify at this point. Did the company in question ask you for permission to have a go at the repair themselves, or did they go ahead and attempt the repair without contacting you, once they realised that they would not be able to get the part from their original supplier? I'm thinking that maybe they would have been better advised to return the piece untouched, rather than attempting a repair which has actually made matters worse. I would say that, second-hand or not, as soon as a repair was attempted, then they made themselves responsible for the condition of the piece.

I'm sorry if this doesn't actually offer a solution at this stage, I'm just trying to clear up the sequence of events for the sake of clarity.

Cheers,
Darrin.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hmmm....I see the problem now. Yeah, my original approach won't really work in this case.

So, maybe contact various other manufacturers, describe the problem and ask if they're sure they can fix it. When you find one, ask the original mf to send the piece to the new folks and refund any money you paid up front. This industry isn't so standardized that everybody would know all the solutions to all the problems. Maybe somebody out there will say, "Oh yeah, I've seen this before. What you need is a .......".

You might also find somebody like me who's happy to take in a damaged piece for a project. You wouldn't necessarily take a beating on the price, either. Hard to say without knowing the nature of the item or problem. Some problems would be deal breakers, but I'd just shrug at others. Split grip? No problem. Broken tang end or rondel? No problem. Broken hilt casting? Maybe a problem, maybe not. Of course, if I thought I could fix your problem (doubtful, if even the mf can't) I'd happily help you out.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Steve Sells
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

last month I took on a repair for a broken brass basket hilt on a rapier. During my attempt at repair I melted the arm of the basket. It was too thin to fix the break in it. so I cut it back and replaced 3 inches of what started to be a 1/4 inch repair.

bottom line: I said I would fix it, and I did. If I could not, I would have subbed it out to some one that could, because I said I would fix it for $40, so I felt that it had to be done correctly and for the stated proce. period.

Why can't they have a one-off made? After 10 months, it seems they could have manufactured one part to keep their word?

Steve Sells
http://fenrisforge.com
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chad,

It seems to me that a better understanding of the nature of the piece and the part to be repaired would be very helpful in formulating truly meaningful advice on any potential solutions, otherwise, a lot of speculation on solutions that may be just completely inapplicable or impossible.

Without giving the vendor away, what kind of piece are you talking about? What exactly is this part needing repair? What material is it made of?

Seems like with all the talents and expertise viewing these forums, a viable solution could be available if more details were known.

In any event, without knowing more, its really hard to say, but I would be inclined to say please ship it back and move on, or ask them to purchase it from you at a fair "before they made it worse" price, since they have now put you in a worse position than before they got there hands on it.

Not sure, but from a legal point of view, seems like your damages are based upon a breach of contract for repair and your damages are either (i) what you paid for repair, if anything, plus the difference in the value of the item prior to the attempted repair and its present value (which may be little or none, but since I have no idea what were are talking about, its impossible to say) or (ii) your lost benefit of the bargain, i.e. the difference between the value it would have had as properly repaired (less repair costs you would have reasonably had to pay to get the item fixed and hence worth more once repaired) and the present value.

Any details you are comfortable adding would be most helpful in formulating potential avenues of resolution.

Best regards,

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
In previous eras, people still held people accountable.

Happy

Even more so if the customer was of high rank and was displeased with the maker. Often he suffered more than just a angry customer.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Terry Crain wrote:
Any details you are comfortable adding would be most helpful in formulating potential avenues of resolution.

Best regards,

Terry

Terry,
The inclusion if the details you're asking for would reveal more than I want to about the piece and therefore the maker.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Update-resolution         Reply with quote

Since this thread was posted I've had a lot of communication from the maker. They have found a supplier and have received the part in question. The item should be back to me in a week or so.

They also offered a very fair and generous resolution to the situation and assuming the item arrives in the condition I expect it will, I hope to put this behind me soon.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, folks. I appreciate the support. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Andrew Shultz

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really a lot of things can be excused with honest communication.

If a maker tells me "wow, it's going to take longer than I thought, I can't guarantee you'll get it before (a long time from now), I'm very sorry" that's worlds different than being told eight times over that period that it will be done soon.

Schedules get crushed by the real world sometimes. A good maker apologizes, says they'll do the best they can, says when that will be, and tries very hard for it not to happen again.

People want to work together and if there's honesty they can do that. If not then you can be sure there will be no repeat business from them or anyone they talk to.

I'm on the cusp of such a problem myself, and I hate being a jerk about it in communications but we're really getting to that point.

Just because it's a niche product doesn't excuse bad business behavior.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Update-resolution         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Since this thread was posted I've had a lot of communication from the maker. They have found a supplier and have received the part in question. The item should be back to me in a week or so.

They also offered a very fair and generous resolution to the situation and assuming the item arrives in the condition I expect it will, I hope to put this behind me soon.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, folks. I appreciate the support. Happy

Good that it seems to be back on track. Cool

Unfortunately it seems that even with good makers it takes a little rattling of cages or " The squeaky wheel gets the grease " sort of thing to keep things moving.

It's just very unfortunate to be put in the position of having to use this kind of pressure and I find it " unpleasant " to do even more when I basically like and trust a maker: It's so much better that the maker be pro-active with communication about problems and doesn't leave one in the dark.

Chad: Oh, these are general comments and not necessarily relevant to your specific problem.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too am glad to hear it's getting worked out. Far too often it seems that commissioned work goes unfulfilled or there are other issues. Though apparently it's not just our world of swords and armor, but in any small industry populated by individual artists. I've heard of stories in other areas of interest in which an artist would go silent, after being sent the item to work on and being paid, only to auction off the item on ebay.

Some artists/makers are genuinely unscrupulous. Others are just disorganized, or simply don't communicate well.

I've been lucky to not have been significantly burned by this sort of thing yet. I have armor that was made by a maker who vanished, money and all, sometime after I received my order, so I was fortunate. I had another piece commissioned where I managed to recover my deposit after multiple delivery dates came and went without him even starting the work (so in that case it just wasted my time). Those were my two close calls.

In any case, congrats on getting your situation resolved!

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking advice on dealing with a maker
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: