Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tomahawk use Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Malcolm A

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Tomahawk use         Reply with quote

Some low level research turned up some info to the effect that the tomahawk was used by American forces in Vietnam, and is also now being used in Iraq. The usage it has been put to was listed as an entry tool / weapon and also hand to hand fighting.
Col Rogers of Rogers Rangers fame was an advocate of them as well, apparently urging his men to close with the enemy after an initial musket volley and use their 'hawks.
I was wondering if anyone here could direct me a book or preferably a web article that gives informatoin on how one would use a tomahawk in combat. Was it a case of hack and slash wildly or were people given some formal training in the use of their tomahawk?

I did find one link that lead to the topic of tomahawk use by the native Amercian tribes Tthe link got caught up with a chap who took some bad press for his claim that he was intorducing a long lost native American "martial art". He was pilloried quite a bit for this [and other actions] and I would not wish to get dragged into that.

Hope you can help me

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself
Matthew D G

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hello Malcolm

Cold Steel has a video that teachs you how a tomahawk can be used in combat. I've never watched the video but i hear its a good way to learn how to fight with a hawk.

hope that helps Happy
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Crazy Crow (yes, the folks that sold you beads when you were a Cub Scout) has a small book on the topic.
http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/merchant.m...54-150-000

I have not read it, so cannot attest to its helpfulness.

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Allen Reed

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tomahawk use         Reply with quote

Malcolm A wrote:
Some low level research turned up some info to the effect that the tomahawk was used by American forces in Vietnam, and is also now being used in Iraq. The usage it has been put to was listed as an entry tool / weapon and also hand to hand fighting.
Col Rogers of Rogers Rangers fame was an advocate of them as well, apparently urging his men to close with the enemy after an initial musket volley and use their 'hawks.
I was wondering if anyone here could direct me a book or preferably a web article that gives informatoin on how one would use a tomahawk in combat. Was it a case of hack and slash wildly or were people given some formal training in the use of their tomahawk?

I did find one link that lead to the topic of tomahawk use by the native Amercian tribes Tthe link got caught up with a chap who took some bad press for his claim that he was intorducing a long lost native American "martial art". He was pilloried quite a bit for this [and other actions] and I would not wish to get dragged into that.

Hope you can help me

I can recommend Dwight McLemore's book from Paladin Press on how to use a tomahawk, a whole lot cheaper then the vidoe set from Cold Steel.

Also, a recent book from Paladin titled "Tomahawks: Traditional to Tactical" can help you pick what kind of tomahawk you want to use.

Allen
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The 'tomahawk' goes way back to the germanic Franks. Among the fist written mentions is Greogorius of Tours who mentions the 'franscisca'.
You can probably find a wéalth of information on this handy multipurpose 'throwing axe' if you look anywhere within the 15 centuries of history of the 'tomahawk'.

I particularly liked the descriptions of the germanic Franks all throwing their axe on command at close range while attacking their enemy. The mass of projectiles landing just before the impact of the attack. Véry effective.

peter

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tomahawk use
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic