Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword buyers guide .com Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Southren

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad: True enough - but I cannot (and won't) say that my site is free of affiliations, after all - I have a store where I sell some of my favorite finds to help finance the whole thing! But this any any other deals are no secret, and there is info in my about SBG page that explains my reasoning and approach. It's very transparant really.

Essentially, the needs of my visitors ALWAYS come first. After all, at the end of the day, if someone buys a sword because of my review, and it isn't the same (or within acceptable variances within this price range) - word is going to get out that SBG is full of crap.. Razz

It's not 'perfectly neutral' - though by keeping things honest and always thinking of the end users when I write a review (and consider that many of the reviews now are submitted by SBG members and visitors), I don't see a problem with finding ways to fund it all if the guiding principles that keep it honest are adhered to.

(Hehe, as I write this I have a funny feeling of deva vu. Wink )

Cheers,

- Paul
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hiya Guys, posted my review here ... B-)

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=116954#116954
D. Michael McIntyre

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Arledge wrote:
Back to my point. Your reviews are helpful, but at times I think they imply something stronger than "for under $300 bucks, this is a good sword" and start to imply "this under $300 sword is a great sword" all too often. And I think it goes back to education and handling/viewing of higher end pieces.
I can speak for Paul's intended market niche, and say he reached me just fine. I just bought my first "real" sword from Paul, the Darksword "Medieval Knight" he featured in his destruction test.

What I really wanted was a cool looking, really good beater. No pretense here, no sugar coating. I wanted a beater, because I'm going to do things with this sword that no period piece should have ever been subjected to.

I think this one is going to fit the bill. I haven't officially taken possession of it yet, but honey, I had to make sure it arrived intact, so I had to go ahead and open and unpack it.

I have something to look forward to on Christmas morning, and I'm glad I found Paul's site in time to spare myself the frustration of wasting money on yet another worthless SLO.

I think his offering is true to the spirit of the niche that stands to benefit most from the existence of his site, and I think I, as a consumer, take the various ratings with the right amount of salt.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword buyers guide .com
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: