Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How "They" Feel About What You Love? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We have chosen for a more existential way of living.
Per example for heating the farm we chop wood. Direct labour instead of for money to buy it.
We have a vegetable plot, keep pigs, goats, chicken, rabbits all for consumption.
My wife bakes our daily bread.
We try to recycle as much within out litle system as possible.

This for ús means a lot of quality of life but very little cash.
My wife is a véry easygoing peson who undrstands about good living. We both have active minds and for either the exploitation of iideas is a part of oúr quality of living.
All the understanding of the world even though not for the súbject but that is already covered by the understanding persé.

The snag is the cash. Sometimes, like with the flintlock I can buy a kit and thus involve a bít of direct labour. Sometimes I can use an old hoof rasp to grind into a knife and cut a handle from wood.
To buy a colichemarde from GGG however the addition to the mental quality of life must be weighed against necessities for physical survival and we do have díffering views on that but not nearly conflicts Laughing Out Loud

peter
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My girlfriend is extremely supportive of my hobbies and interests, and she shares some of them. We're both rennies (actually having met at the renfaire), and she has her own knife/dagger collection, and a fondness for maces.

Heck, she knew what she was getting into since I already had a solid collection when we met, since I started collecting when I was about 13.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
We both want the collection out of harm's way and out of the way of harming others, so the display cabinet was something that was important to us. At some point, I'll have to childproof it against our soon-to-arrive little one. Happy

)

Congratulations Chad! I have one on the way myself. I also love to take your unwanted books off your hands Laughing Out Loud

My wife is very tight with money and does not understand wanting to collect expensive weaponry. She is tolerant, however, and allows me to collect within reason. I've recently been upgrading my collection to Albions and getting rid of my Windlass stuff. She is used to having all the stuff around though. I've been interested in the middle ages since I was a little kid and I've been collecting/making stuff for most of my life. Luckily I owned a home when we first met and it was already "medievaled out" so to speak. Our entire house is pretty much decorated this way (especially the basement). She is not interested in history but she will put on a costume and go to the RenFest with me. Sometimes guests are a bit shocked by the amount of stuff I have but I have it displayed very tastefully (I do trim carpentry). Right now I'm working on an oak-paneled study where I will have some of my nicer pieces displayed along with a few of Chad's books Big Grin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife is amused by my hobby. She says it's better than being a football or NASCAR widow Wink Then again, she knew i was an arms and armour geek from day one of our meeting, since my swords were in full view in my barracks room during the B grade fantasy movie night I hosted monthly. Which is where we first met. The Chris Achillos posters might have given it away too. To date, most of the money I've spent has been on SCA armour, with forays into Windlass knives and daggers. I continually kick myself for not buying some Czech swords when I first got to Germany in the late 1990s, the dollar/DM exchange rate was awesome then. Unlike the current dollar/Euro rate.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Ekelmann wrote:
Then again, she knew i was an arms and armour geek from day one of our meeting..

Well, thát seems to be martian logic only.
You do not want know how many of my motorcycle racing contemporaries were pressured into stopping the moment they married the girl that fell for this racing guy because of him racing...
It never stopped amazing me this phenomena of the 'yes but now we are márried' that is supposed to be self explanetory. It never explained itself to me Laughing Out Loud

peter
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife has no interest in swords, and I bring them up with her as little as possible although every time she asks me what I want for Christmas/birthdays/fathers day I just need to look at her with a silly grin on my face to which she says "I'm not buying you a sword". If she actually ever buys me a sword I will probably pass out form the surprise.

To her benefit whenever any of her friends visit us their husbands usually take an interest in the swords so the men are busy cutting while the women talk about whatever they talk about.

I only tend to buy them when I come into some spare cash, as at the moment we are relatively new homeowners and parents and of course there are a lot of priorities that come before swords. When I do buy them or if anyone raises the issue that they are a waste of money I simply point out that I will have these for forseeably the rest of my life, and they basically become heirlooms, so over that time the cost of each sword is very minor.

I have an office at home where they hang on the wall , so they are out of the way and safe from little hands. It is a space that is by and large my own and the ambience that the swords give the room makes working from home more enjoyable.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A picture is worth a thousand words.

The old and new Coustilles. Razz Picture taken on Sunday at the Texas Ren Fair. Laughing Out Loud

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great picture, Gary! Your lady is lovely and deadly! Big Grin

This is indeed an interesting thread, and its made me think about the practical side of this hobby (something which I often ignore in my passion). I suppose I ought to already be thinking about the practical side of things here, being "the lady." Razz However, I have been obsessively interested in swords and weapons in general for a long time now, much to the confusion of my immediate family. They are not against it, and they have kindly allowed me to have a few sharp pointy objects around, but they do sometimes wonder where this interest (along with my obsession with archery and riding horses) came from. I just jokingly tell them that there must have been some sort of equestrian Persian warrior princess amongst my ancestors or something. ;-)

Now, in terms of a significant other, I am very blessed. The warrior in my life is just that......a warrior! One of the first things we discovered during our very first conversation was our mutual love of bearded warriors and their weapons. Wink I am a medieval studies major, and he is a military history major, so I guess we sort of complement each other. He probably has the biggest arsenal I've ever seen, though most of that consists of historical rifles, hunting guns, and tons of archery equipment. (Lets just say that that when the zombies come, he'll be ready.) He is trying to build up his sword collection as well (he has some Angus Trim, but wants the Albion Valkyrie sooo badly). Unfortunately, like me, he is a poor graduate student and therefore has to put such things to the side for now. But in the meantime, he and his friends amuse themselves by practicing archery, making shields, throwing knives, axes, and spears, and just generally having a blast together. I join in when I am at home, but I have been out of the country on and off for a while now, in places where is not so easy as it is in the good ol' US to just go in your backyard and throw some projectiles around. ;-)

For my birthday this past summer, when I was back home in the States for a while, my band of warriors had gotten together and made me a seax and an Anglo-Saxon shield. Of course, it was a very amateur attempt, but I was so pleasantly surprised. Honestly, I wouldn't trade these items (which were crafted with such love) for anything! In fact, I like to sleep with my (sheathed) seax! Big Grin

Wa bið þam þe sceal of langoþe leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind compliment of this thread Shamsi! I think it is Awesome when I learn of women who are interested in this hobby and I've long been familiar and observant of your postings, and I find them to be inspirational, uplifting and you bring to the table the fact that women too can, have been and are, very fierce warriors Exclamation In my years of studying Karate and Kung Fu, I've personally observed a number of women who would be a Nightmare to tangle with in a real life situation, especially for the potential male culprit seeking to commit a crime upon them.
Women tend to be more flowing, smoothly coordinated, fast and deceptive as well as cunning in their strategies.
This would of course most certainly apply to a female warrior with a sword or rapier!

Though she is not a warrior, my wife Gayle is a good shot with her pistol and she does have a solid appreciation for fine swords and her own particular fancy for fine daggers, of which I have bought her 5 or 6 so far and the next acquisition that I will make is the Arms & Armor "German Rapier" for Gayle to go with her A & A German Parrying Dagger I bought her earlier this month at Kult of Athena.

To my lady colleagues in this hobby, Your Rock! Wink

Bob
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now it’s not so much what my spouse thinks about this hobby, as it is what I think about it. Missed delivery dates and communications failures from so many different vendors over the years are wearing me out on swords. I'm incredibly tired of throwing money into black holes hoping something comes out someday.

Tip-toeing around so as not to offend people in breach so I can have some hope of them filling their promises.

Being told by the peanut gallery it’s something that should be accepted and expected because artists run businesses that way!

Maybe I'm just getting older. Perhaps it’s just that I need a change of pace. I just know I'm really tired of supporting the business practices that are so common in this hobby. I'm seriously thinking the best thing for me is to do is to start letting starving artists starve.

My wife convinced me to buy a new high performance sedan last weekend and I love it. It was in stock and available on the lot. Quality of the product is top notch. I left the lot with it in less than an hour. The dealer made the buying experience prompt, simple and transparent! I was treated as if my business mattered. An altogether enjoyable diversion.

Can you believe that?

Buying a car was a better experience than most of my sword buying experiences have been over the last couple of years!!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Dan P

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My long-term girlfriend and swords: She thinks its crazy. No interest whatsoever.

Then again, I was VERY briefly involved with a girl like seven years ago who wanted me to give up martial arts because of a guy she was with before me who was violent with her. That was an interesting conversation. So I guess it could be worse. That was back before I was into swords.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Now it’s not so much what my spouse thinks about this hobby, as it is what I think about it. Missed delivery dates and communications failures from so many different vendors over the years are wearing me out on swords. I'm incredibly tired of throwing money into black holes hoping something comes out someday.

Tip-toeing around so as not to offend people in breach so I can have some hope of them filling their promises.

Being told by the peanut gallery it’s something that should be accepted and expected because artists run businesses that way!

I am very patient with legitimate delays as long as the communication is pro-active, frequent and honest.

I'm sometimes part of that peanut gallery but I really hear what you are saying and although I can deal with each problem individually, each on it's own being reasonable, the cumulative effect from numerous vendors is wearing me down a bit too.

Also, I have the example of superior customer service by a few vendors like Mercenary Tailor's and Kult of Athena who are both AAAAA in my book that make the " normal/expected " customer service look a lot worse !

One thing is to only buy swords " IN STOCK NOW " from vendors who can be trusted to be truthful about the " In stock "
part: Getting swords a week to ten days after ordering is refreshing compared to months or years of waiting for custom orders ! Not too bad when one knows up front that it will take X amount of time but gets annoying when the delays become XX or XXX or NEVER !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,
Let's not let this thread go any more in the direction of "what we hate about this hobby" or "I'm tired of the crappy customer service so frequent in this market". If you guys want to discuss that, please make a new topic. I'll even join in. Happy

Let's keep this one about how our spouses/partners/significant others feel about our hobby.

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank You Very Much Chad for steering this thread back in the proper direction! Happy

Bob
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Thank You Very Much Chad for steering this thread back in the proper direction! Happy

Yeah, the thread could easily get hijacked. I was going to make a quick note though-- I have a solution. Buy used swords from forum members... they deliver fast. Happy

I already noted that my girlfriend is very supportive of all of my hobbies and interests, including this one. That's one of the things we've discussed in a general sense-- how important it is, in one's relationship, to support each other in what you find important and meaningful.

I find it unfortunate when there's no support or understanding from someone's SO. I mean, obviously people don't have to share each other's interest, or even fully understand it. It's the acceptance thing. My feeling is that if they don't accept your passions, that's a part of yourself that isn't receiving acceptance. Very unfortunate.

Oh, as an aside... and this is important... nothing says love like a flanged mace! Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary, thank you for sharing that Really Nice photo of your wife and self, you too, are one of the lucky one's Gary, to have a soul mate who takes enjoyment in that which you love, we are both very lucky to have the wives that we have been blessed with and it just does not get any better than this.
Your absolutely correct Gary, that picture is indeed worth a thousand words at the very least, and a lovely lady you have in your life Exclamation

Sincerely,

Bob
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed Toton wrote:
nothing says love like a flanged mace! Happy

Okay, Ed, I'd been trying to resist contributing to this thread, but that saying of yours sent me over the edge. Big Grin (I had already added it to my "quotes" on facebook.) Mark, are you reading this thread? Hint, hint.

My husband has been extremely supportive since he realized this was much more than just a hobby to me. He signed up for classes in order to participate with me. He wanted to educate himself about things that were important to me. He's pretty much allowed me all the time I want to practice and go to events such as WMAW. I'm the one that allows real life to get in the way of practice time, etc. I'm too much of a "mom."

Now, I did bring him back a sword as a souvenir from WMAW. Well, it was "for him" on the same principle as when he buys a frilly little lacy thing it's "for me." Happy

On second thought, a war hammer also says "love" very nicely.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Ed Toton wrote:
nothing says love like a flanged mace! Happy

Okay, Ed, I'd been trying to resist contributing to this thread, but that saying of yours sent me over the edge.
My husband has been extremely supportive since he realized this was much more than just a hobby to me. He signed up for classes in order to participate with me. He wanted to educate himself about things that were important to me.

Hah, I had a feeling you'd spot my saying pretty quickly.

I think it's cool he's joined the classes to experience it with you. But are you sure he just isn't afraid that some dashing young swordsman might sweep you off your feet? Happy Seriously though, that's really nice to see. And heck, it gives you an excuse to buy even more trainers. Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Gary, thank you for sharing that Really Nice photo of your wife and self, you too, are one of the lucky one's Gary, to have a soul mate who takes enjoyment in that which you love, we are both very lucky to have the wives that we have been blessed with and it just does not get any better than this.
Your absolutely correct Gary, that picture is indeed worth a thousand words at the very least, and a lovely lady you have in your life Exclamation

Sincerely,

Bob

Thank you for the kind words, Bob.Yes, I am blessed to have a young wife that supports me and joins me in some of my hobbies. I met her in the SCA and that was after I stopped teaching Karate and kick boxed for spare money. I don't think she'd like that so much. I'm too old to fight anymore and too slow for you young guys.
I don't know what I'd do without her.

Are you scared, Connor?
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shamsi Modarai wrote:
Great picture, Gary! Your lady is lovely and deadly! Big Grin

Thank you! She's never worn a sword before and complains it's heavy. But she is deadly. I got her a 38special snub nose S&W. She can hit a can going down a stream at 25 yards. AND..she is left handed!

"We'll head straight for the Guilder frontier. Catch up when he's dead. If he falls, fine. If not, the sword.

I want to duel him left-handed.

You know what a hurry we're in.

Well, it's the only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right -- tch -- over too quickly.

Oh, have it your way."

Big Grin

Are you scared, Connor?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How "They" Feel About What You Love?
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: