Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How "They" Feel About What You Love? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife is not interested in my hobby but I think deep down she is impressed that I have a passion for it and practice it. To tell the truth, she isn't that much into any of my hobbies or activities...but that doesn't impact our relationship much since we still respect and love each other and give each other space. In the end, that is all you really can ask for in a romance and marriage.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bryce, at least she is happy for you in finding your passion and that means a lot! In the beginning that's how Gayle was for me, as finding this hobby was much more than a hobby, it quickly became a passion and ended 8 months of deep depression after learning I had arthritis in my spine and was medically dictated by my physician and orthopedic surgeon that as far as contact martial arts go, that "I Was Finished"! I took the time to wait 2 years for my first sword which was the Arms and Armor German Bastard Sword, because the first sword was an almost sacred selection in defining myself. After seeing 3 sword vendors at the Bristol Fair in WI and seeing nothing but over priced junk, I happened upon Arms and Armor and Craig was there that day too, I bought the Saxon Spear and a couple of books at a Bristol bookstore and then I knew I'd found the passion of my lifetime and the overwhelming depression began to lift.
Fortunately I never spent a dime on a junk sword and was scrutinizing about what books I bought. It was at the time of my first sword that I found myArmoury and Whammo! I was Fascinated with this website!
I would like my wife "Gayle" to gain her own membership to myArmoury, she's very astute and erudite in her vocabulary. I think she could be a wonderful member and give us a female perspective in A passion that she truly shares with us all! And she admires Nathan Robinson very much as well as his team for creating such a worthy and meaningful website which is an incredible learning resource of history and heritage! So I will make the suggestion to her.
Bob

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys are truly fortunate to find such loving and accepting partners of yourselves, and this crazy passion of ours. I've found that it is either my age or location but I procrastinate with the "what do you do" when it comes up, since it seems like for almost all potential women it is a deal breaker. Then again I may just need to get out more Razz neh, I'm still young I suppose. Plus how many Bachelor Bladesmith's are there? Hummmm, I may have stumbled upon a marketing technique, or slogan...
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
You guys are truly fortunate to find such loving and accepting partners of yourselves, and this crazy passion of ours. I've found that it is either my age or location but I procrastinate with the "what do you do" when it comes up, since it seems like for almost all potential women it is a deal breaker. Then again I may just need to get out more Razz neh, I'm still young I suppose. Plus how many Bachelor Bladesmith's are there? Hummmm, I may have stumbled upon a marketing technique, or slogan...

Actually, I find that a lot of women like men that a) creative, b) are good making things with their hands, c) active and d) are good martial artists as opposed to fighters (I'm sure you know the difference). If you're getting rejections then you should know you're pursuing the wrong type of women. A change is in order. Also look for women who are more into artists than stock brokers. They should be happy in your profession and not hooked on material things to the exclusion of personality. That advice was given to me by a woman friend a long time ago by the way.
Justin Lee Hunt

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife is amazing! She is just as much into weapons and armor as I am. There's a funny story about how we met the first time. I'm a minister and I was giving a sermon of the armor of God and I brought visual aid (if you have it why not?). Well she was a visitor and after the service she walks up to me as I was packing up the gear and she says "HI, I'm Jessica. Can I try on your chain maile?" She ended up joining our reenactment group under the tutelage of one of the other knights, and we got to know each other better. Well history writes it's self and we have been married now for going on 4 years. The running joke is that she just wanted to get into my hauberk.

The picture attached is one of her in the light armor and shield that I made her. She would normally have a coif on when fighting. We're working on getting her a more historical kit, but our troupe allows for some fantasy armor, provided that it's based on historical designs. The sword is her Valentines present from this year.

Attachment: 242.8 KB
I love her. [ Download ]

I opperate a website for my reenactment troop it's www.orderoftherouseclan.org Be sure to check out our forums www.orderoftherouseclan.proboards.com
Rex Metcalf

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:

Dont worry about it, brother, it will find you. It took me until I was 31 to even seriously consider marriage and even with someone you deeply love and respect its hard work sometimes, especially when your used to being alone and set in your ways. My best advice to a single man is dont even bother to look, it will happen on its own anyway, and treasure the time you have now. I cant help but believe everything in this world works out just as and when its intended to although that can be easier to believe with the benefit of hindsight.

And for what its worth, if *I* were an available young lady I would certainly be looking for a bladesmith, so in this consider yourself blessed your not being chased by the ugliest woman alive Laughing Out Loud
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With me, even having been in years of formal schooling of Asian martial arts, I could not have cared less about swords, in fact at one of the schools in the upper ranks it was mandatory to choose from a selection of weapons, I chose the nunchuku. LOL! Even later in life from that school when I met my wife in 1990, I never gave a thought to swords, so naturally my wife never discussed swords beyond a movie we saw together. A bleak interest sparked for me in 2002, but the summer of 2003 the spark ignited a smoldering, then a fire, but which "Arms and Armor Sword"? For 2 years I drove my wife NUTS trying to decide and then in August 2005 she suggested the German Bastard Sword. As the plan back then was mutually agreed on, just one sword! Within 2 months I had 5 Arms and Armor swords, the spiked buckler, Saxon parrying dagger and the Saxon Spear and I ordered for Gayle the Elector of Saxony Dagger with deluxe scabbard! I was Off to the Races! And Gayle loved her dagger and admired my swords, the books started along with this and dvds. Her tolerance went to admiration, to attraction to her own interest, then to her mutual Love for Swords. So I was just extremely lucky!
However, I have some ideas for those seeking a gal and or wife who is condusive to this passion of ours. Some colleges offer casual classes not for credits. Amongst these selections are medieval history and other historical eras and cultures involved with swords, etc. My best friend's late wife had a college major in European Medieval History! She was also anti - gun, but she Loved my sword collection and often would pick one out of the rack and she was 4' 11"! Maria was enthralled with my library!
Maybe look for European History Clubs, visit a museum once in a while and see if they have a history club involved with the sword age. Strike up conversations on how important Honor is and then relate honor to swords. At gatherings, parties. Etc. Instead of bringing up sword topics, bring up Character Assets such as Honor in a compliment or however, then as the conversation matures, slightly relate a sword topic to it through some indirect vehicle of trending towards a subject matter where talking about a sword or armor would be totally appropriate. Just some ideas I had.
I hope some way I have helped!

Bob

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How "They" Feel About What You Love?
Page 6 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: