Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Padded goods Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason G. Smith wrote:
This discussion is very interesting to me. I find myself with lower canons that do not fit due to the thickness of my gambeson. I find myself in a quandary - either open up the gambeson and remove the padding from the forearms, or get another one. I'm leaning more to the latter, but it's an expense I could otherwise do without. Let me note that this is in no way the armourer's fault - the canons fit me perfectly without the gambeson. I wonder if the linen version of Revival's gambeson would be better for this? I currently have the cotton version - which is good on its own or with a breastplate and kettle helm for 15th century man at arms portrayal. Anyway - I'm just blathering... Happy

Get another arming cote made. Just a bit of padding at the collar, shoulder and elbow. The Revival cotton cotes are too thick to wear under armour no matter what you do to them. Even the linen ones are a bit thick in the arms. Save that for "unarmoured" sparring or bouting.

See if Paul Fortin is still making these things. I met him in Montreal a couple years ago. He had the nicest early 15thC pourpoint I'd ever seen. I should have ordered one on the spot.
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:

Get another arming cote made. Just a bit of padding at the collar, shoulder and elbow. The Revival cotton cotes are too thick to wear under armour no matter what you do to them. Even the linen ones are a bit thick in the arms. Save that for "unarmoured" sparring or bouting.

See if Paul Fortin is still making these things. I met him in Montreal a couple years ago. He had the nicest early 15thC pourpoint I'd ever seen. I should have ordered one on the spot.

You pretty much echoed my feelings on this, but when you're on the fence it sometimes help to have a push! Do you have any contact info for Mr. Fortin?

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Steven H

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am curious about the custom fit and sizing of period armour.

I know that Charles ffoulkes concluded that most armour was not custom fit to the person. Instead most armour was made in a few sizes based on ready patterns.
The poster above who commented on his armour not fitting because the armourer was not local seems to have been the norm in Medieval Europe where most amour for the entire continent was made in a small number of towns in Central Europe.

However, I know that ffoulkes is a century old. Is his analysis contradicted by more recent research? If so I'd love to have the references so I can read up on the subject. (I wanted a more recent book like "The Armourer and His Craft" but didn't find one.)

Is there any better info on what proportion of armour was custom vs. off-the-shelf? Clearly munitions armour was off-the-shelf but that was a later period.

What evidence supports the conclusion that most armour was well fitted?

Thanks,
(curious) Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK. The arms industry of medieval europe is anything but small or a one ways street.

Italy and Southern German towns like nuremburg and augsburg were main powerhouses in arms manufacture, both high end, medium and munitions. This meant that their gear went everywhere. That said the break down indicates the answer to your question.

There are also many other places that made armour. IN fact every country likely had some arms industry some like Bohemia and Flanders much bigger than the Scots, Welsh and Irish in this period.

High end armour, no matter if made by a italian or german for a Scot or English lord would have been made to fit well to him. No question. The amounts they pay for their suits are about 4 times plus the value of a simple off the rack harness... which I will get back to.

Now armour arriving in a country like england in bulk, the non upper end armour could perhaps have been sold and you match it best you could if you were in person buying it there.

My guess is that people of middling wealth would have had one of these suits modified to fit them or had a domestic harness made for them. Either way it would still be made to fit them.

The last catagory is like what you are thinking as off the rack. THis is like the Lord Howard buying 16 half harnesses to serve for men in the future but not specific men. THey likely were fit as best as could be but that is about it.

To make this more confusing is that Italy especially but also, GErmans and Spain sold steel and iron plates for breastplates, helmets, arms etc,. This means that in England at least the likely flat plates would be made into these pieces in addition to metal from home used for the same. Some of this could hvae been for munitions armour but it likely could be made to fit if being made by a guy in the next town opver etc.

IN the end there is no straight forward answer. Both happened I am sure. It is possible the suits were fine tuned once they were assigned to a person.

RPM
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know a number of people who fight in revival linen ones under armour so it works for them. If you like them give revival a call and talk with them. They may let you place less padding inside the sleeves.

RPM
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
I know a number of people who fight in revival linen ones under armour so it works for them. If you like them give revival a call and talk with them. They may let you place less padding inside the sleeves.

Not if they have accurate vambraces they don't, Randall. Not unless Revival has completely chaged their product in the last year.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
Just one question Hugh, you said arms should not turn inside the lower cannons. How is the movement of the hand performed then (pronation, suppination)?

My vambraces, like many medieval sets, have sliding rivets that attach the lower cannons to the couters. The lower cannons literally rotate with my arm.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh,

I do not know if they have changed them or have not. One of the gents I am speaking of (but will not name as I am sure some here might know him and its not my place to), has handled quite a bit of original armour and I think made his own vambraces which look pretty close to originals to me. I am not going to question either his metal working or experience with original armour by saying they do not work how they should. For what he does which is quite high use it seems to work.

RPM
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:
Felix R. wrote:
Just one question Hugh, you said arms should not turn inside the lower cannons. How is the movement of the hand performed then (pronation, suppination)?

My vambraces, like many medieval sets, have sliding rivets that attach the lower cannons to the couters. The lower cannons literally rotate with my arm.

You get you full rotation out of the slots? So they are arranged vertically to the axis of the arm? How long are they?
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
I do not know if they have changed them or have not. One of the gents I am speaking of (but will not name as I am sure some here might know him and its not my place to), has handled quite a bit of original armour and I think made his own vambraces which look pretty close to originals to me. I am not going to question either his metal working or experience with original armour by saying they do not work how they should. For what he does which is quite high use it seems to work.

All I can say is that when Robert Macpherson made my vambraces he fit them as if they'd go over the bare arm in order to get the right "look". Thick padding a.) isn't necessary and b.) won't let you do that.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
You get you full rotation out of the slots? So they are arranged vertically to the axis of the arm? How long are they?

Define "full rotation". I can start with my hand in a thumb-up position and rotate it 90 degrees to the inside.

The slots are perpendicular to the axis of the arm, else the lower cannon couldn't turn!

I'll see if I can't take some pictures tonight.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, that would mean he never read Blair's material on the subject arguing that padded acketons didn't come into use until the 12th century (in other words, for several hundred years knights fought in hauberks with no padding under them), but that's possible.

Uh, a 10th-century Byzantine source extols the virtues of padding under armor. Perhaps the Latins didn't use padding at the time (though I doubt that), but the Greeks did.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not saying anything about Rob or his armour. If he made your fit to your arm with nothing between you and the metal thats fine. It is not the only way to do it. If he fells that under armour should not be padded thats fine but there is enough period accounts to indicate that is not always how it always was done. My point is that their garment is not thick padding and people can and do have fairly close reproduction armour made and use it. I in no way am paid by revival, own one of their aketons or anything only that having seen people use them in pretty nice and fairly accurate harness it work for them, end of story. I have handled a pretty fair amount of original 14th century armour and other, have worn a few period harnesses even as well so I am not unaware on how either of them should or can work. I am not saying that you are wrong in thinking that heavy padding should be used as a stand alone armour. It should. My point is people can wear a padded under armour under their semi accurate harness and have a period accurate portrayal still.

RPM
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:
Of course, that would mean he never read Blair's material on the subject arguing that padded acketons didn't come into use until the 12th century (in other words, for several hundred years knights fought in hauberks with no padding under them), but that's possible.

Uh, a 10th-century Byzantine source extols the virtues of padding under armor. Perhaps the Latins didn't use padding at the time (though I doubt that), but the Greeks did.

Maybe, but I was speaking about the middle ages. Go read Blair pp. 32-34.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe, but I was speaking about the middle ages. Go read Blair pp. 32-34.

The 10th-century is typically considered part of the Middle Ages. Anyways, I've heard the argument against padding before, but I've never been convinced. Obviously wearing armor without padding happened from time to time, but that doesn't make the practice a good idea.
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:

The operative phrase in that sentence being 10th-century...

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Curt Cummins

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a question for you more experienced gentlemen. My wife is going to make me a gambeson suitable for sparring with wooden wasters. We got directions off a website and they recommend using 1/2 inch cotton movers pads.

Will this be enough protection for my aging and tender body?

CC

Ye braggarts and awe be a'skeered and awa, frae Brandoch Daha
Steven H

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Curt Cummins wrote:
I have a question for you more experienced gentlemen. My wife is going to make me a gambeson suitable for sparring with wooden wasters. We got directions off a website and they recommend using 1/2 inch cotton movers pads.

Will this be enough protection for my aging and tender body?

CC

To take a full force hit with a wooden waster? Not even remotely. At full speed, wood hits hard enough that rigid protection is a must.

For light sparring with control then it'd be just fine. You'll still need rigid protection for the hands and probably elbows and forearms.

I made my first one from one inch cotton batting. I'd be careful with moving pads as finding them actually made of cotton and/or durable can be a problem. Do some searches on armourarchive for much more info on this topic.

-Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The operative phrase in that sentence being 10th-century...

The text doesn't seem to be describing a new and revolutionary practice. As there's evidence for Roman padded garments much further back, I imagine it was simply an affirmation of that tradition.
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@ Hugh
I regards to the full range of motion, I thought of the nearly 180°

Some detailed pictures would be very nice.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Padded goods
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: