Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The show "How It's Made" at Albion this friday!!! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Definitely the heat treat was my favorite too. I always thought there was a cord under wrap and then an overwrap while drying. Now please correct me if I'm wrong here, but is it just leather with a cord overwrap for texture or did I miss something? When I do my wraps I apply a little glue to the grip, do a thin hemp cord wrap, cover with leather, and do a cord over wrap with a thinner cord used under the leather. All in all though it was nice to see how they do it. I'd of liked it to be just a little longer but hey, I'm happy.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Definitely the heat treat was my favorite too. I always thought there was a cord under wrap and then an overwrap while drying. Now please correct me if I'm wrong here, but is it just leather with a cord overwrap for texture or did I miss something? When I do my wraps I apply a little glue to the grip, do a thin hemp cord wrap, cover with leather, and do a cord over wrap with a thinner cord used under the leather. All in all though it was nice to see how they do it. I'd of liked it to be just a little longer but hey, I'm happy.

The way Mike Sigman explained it, there is evidence for both, and they do use cord under for some of ther museum line swords if the original had it.

The cord under keeps the handle together, which the Albions don't really need considering how their hilts are assembled and how little stress is placed on the handle.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:

For Next Gens, there generally is not cord under the leather. The cord is wrapped over to give the impression to the leather. for most of the Museum Line, there is cord under the leather and then cord is wrapped over the leather to leave the impression.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
William C Champlin

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: How it's made         Reply with quote

Thank technology for DVR. I watched it a few times. I thought that they did a great job for the time alloted and would love to see the unedited version. It made me appreciate ( a little bit more than before) the artistry of the folks at Albion and other quality cutlers. W
tweetchris
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're like me and never turn your TV on, then here's the Albion segment on YouTube. (Ah, YouTube, is there nothing I can't find on you?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTg0Oc0mQy4

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In case anyone is slightly confused, Bill's YouTube link is of the Canadian version, with a female narrator and, I think, very slightly different script (she seems to prefer more puns and colloquialisms Wink). It's identical otherwise, I believe.

Although they did mention several times the intent to recreate the original, I wish there had been at least one shot of research on antiques; although, for the next gen line, it wouldn't have made much sense since most of the models are not based on one single sword. Other than that I thought it was as good as the format allowed and fun to watch : )
-GLL

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________

Last edited by Gabriel Lebec on Wed 07 Nov, 2007 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill thanks for posting the youtube link. I could not figure out my Tivo Laughing Out Loud so you gave me the opportunity to watch the video. I was under the impression that there was cord in between the wood grip core and the leather wrap also. Then again I've never taken apart any of my Albions. I could see this show increasing the demand for Albion's swords which is good for us collectors in the long run. They sure made assembling the hilt look smooth and easy. If it was a video of me doing it there would be a looong outtake reel of me getting pissed off and cursing and starting over after I screwed something up! Big Grin
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link.

I originally thought the fullers wer ground by hand, so i am wondering a little why they have difficulties in transition from the fuller to a diamond shaped blade end, perhaps it is just why they donīt do it by hand.
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a link to the british(?) version at stage6.

Enjoy!

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That machine they use for cutting out a nearly finished blade from a piece of steel in about an hour?

Yeah, I want one of those.

Soooo badly.

For serious.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
That machine they use for cutting out a nearly finished blade from a piece of steel in about an hour? Yeah, I want one of those.

A CNC milling machine? better start working on your CAD skills, and saving up some funds - unless you intend to make your own. Wink

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:

A CNC milling machine? better start working on your CAD skills, and saving up some funds -

CAD skills are just, well, skills. I have talent for stuff, so that shouldn't be a problem. Wink

The question of funds is going to get problematic, though.

CNC milling machine, huh? Wonder where you get a hold of one of those in Sweden...

Quote:
unless you intend to make your own. Wink

Ah, pass. I'm pretty decent at using technology but I've never been good at building it. Razz

Thanks for the tips, though.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The show "How It's Made" at Albion this friday!!!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: