Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A January Highlight Item Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: A&A January Highlight Item         Reply with quote

January 2008 Highlight Item from Arms & Armor

The January Highlight Item is the Nordland Axe, when it comes time to go a Viking this year make sure you have the right axe to make a good impression. See more at ARMS & ARMOR News.

Happy New Year from A&A. We look forward to great things in 2008 and wish you all the same.

Best From
A&A Inc.
David Wilson

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Plug -- As the owner of one of these neat little axes myself, let me say... it's a neat little axe. Big Grin
Small, handy, fine for throwing, good for cutting kindling or Saxons. Never mind those huge war axes, this is more what a real Viking would have used on a daily basis, as tool and weapon.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered one. Been hoping this one would make it to the highlight item list Happy I should have it by the weekend likely Happy
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides

Last edited by Mike Arledge on Tue 08 Jan, 2008 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm definitely getting one of those. Happy
« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one of the prototypes for this axe; its a handy tool for actual use as an axe.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This looks like a great little axe. Light, handy axes are a particular weakness of mine. Couldn't resist this offer... so Craig's sending me two. I can hardly wait 'til they arrive!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Craig,

Any thoughts on February's highlight item? Wink Hint hint and all that...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Harris wrote:
This looks like a great little axe. Light, handy axes are a particular weakness of mine. Couldn't resist this offer... so Craig's sending me two. I can hardly wait 'til they arrive!

Yeah, I just got mine, slightly customized with a hardened edge of higher carbon content steel and with a polished finish instead of the standard black: I ordered mine a while back when Craig was at the prototype stage.

Being a perfectionist Craig wasn't 100% satisfied with the welding of the harder steel to the standard main body and he told me that there were some small pits at the weld line that he couldn't completely get rid of. He also scrapped a few pieces attempting to get it perfect and this is the reason why mine took a long time to finish.

What was very nice of Craig was that he offered to not charge me for it if I was unsatisfied with it aesthetically and could still keep it Cool In any case the pitting is very minor, is not a structural problem so I didn't take him up on the offer and told him to charge me for it as I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH IT. ( Note, if someone wants a customized version like mine they should accept up front that these very minor pits will occur. One problem Craig said was that refilling these pits was easy enough but that repolishing would bring out new ones. )

So mine looks the same as the standard model but has a harder edge and Craig sharpened it to an easy paper cutting sharp edge that I think would be easy to get to shaving sharp.

The weight of this axe is just about perfect: Light enough to be fast and easy to recover from a swing and at the same time heavy enough to have some authority in the chop.

A great period collectable but inexpensive enough that one should feel free to use it as a tool and camp axe.

The slight swell at the end of the haft make it easy to use with the hand at the very end with a grip that feels secure.

Anyway, first class customer service and quality product from A & A as usual. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jean, I would love to see what the axe looks like with out the black, can you post some pictures?
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Chesser wrote:
Hey Jean, I would love to see what the axe looks like with out the black, can you post some pictures?

Ah, the camera thing ............. sigh: Yeah, I should try out my camera eventually. Blush Laughing Out Loud I'm just stuck at the I don't want to read the stupid manual thing and although I have all the time in the world I have so far been procrastinating about loading in the software on my Mac and putting the thing to actual use.

Well, it looks exactly the same but in the white ...... Razz Laughing Out Loud

Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have two of these axes, one for each hand. Laughing Out Loud Well, isn't that one of the Viking barrages, throw two small axes and then slaughter the enemy with the big axe? LOL

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I have two of these axes, one for each hand. Laughing Out Loud Well, isn't that one of the Viking barrages, throw two small axes and then slaughter the enemy with the big axe? LOL

Bob

Or the early Franks. Wink Big Grin Although with them it was mostly throw multiple axes and then use the last one in hand or seax or sword if you were one of the rich leaders: I don't think they had something as big as the Danish Great axe, but they may have had somewhat heavier ones with longer handles for close combat ? Some of the Francescas had very heavy head and although they might be devastating if thrown very close up they seem to me to be almost as heavy as a heavy maul or wood spitting axe. ( Although maybe someone more knowledgeable about the Franks might give a better explanation of Frankish tactics. At the time the Franks were almost all infantry, wore little if no armour except for Kings or warchiefs, if that's the right term for them when they were making things dangerous for Romans ).

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A January Highlight Item
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic