Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About Albion's Agincourt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alfonso Asensio

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: About Albion's Agincourt         Reply with quote

Dear All

I know this type of question appears frequently in the forum so it may not be all that interesting.

I would like to ask for your opinion regarding the Albion Agincourt next generation sword. I know there is an existing review of this blade but although I hear good comments about other models like the omnipresent Talhoffer, very rarely I see the Agincourt mentioned. I wonder if it is not a popular model among collectors.

My question will be, does people (you) like this model regardless of intended use? or it is just not one of the pieces that are normaly out there?

I plan to use it in the normal manner: display, moderated test cutting, practice drills and, of course, daydreaming about life in the 1400. I do think the agincourt has one of the nicest designs in Albion's catalog but what do I know.

Any opinion will be very welcome

Thank you and sorry for the trouble
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Alfonso,

I wasn't under the impression that the Agincourt was any more or less popular than a lot of Albion's lineup. Have you already read through these three threads? A couple of comments on the handling characteristics, as well as overall reviews. I'm sure that a more thorough search would turn up some more opinions as well.

Cheers,
GLL

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Alfonso,

I'm sure that if you look around, you'll find plenty of information, like Gabriel said. Personally, I like the Agincourt's design. I just purchased the Talhoffer instead, but that's simply because I aesthetically prefer the scent stopper pommel over the wheel pommel. The Talhoffer handles great, and while I'm sure there will be subtle differences, since it's built on the same blade you should like it very much as well. Really, the only thing that made me choose the Talhoffer over the Agincourt was the pommel, so if you prefer the wheel pommel you should like it very much.

Max
Alfonso Asensio

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you both, this actually helps a lot. The threads cover most of what I was considering about the sword.
actually my preference for Agincourt instead of Talhoffer has to do with the crossguard rather than the pommel, I like the curved shape rather than a straight one. I don't know if that has any effect in how they handle.
One last question if I may, do you think the sword is too long to have it in a early-period style scabbard (belt divided in two parts and wrapped around the scabbard) instead of one suspended/hanging down from the belt?

Thank you
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought the Agincourt that was reviewed on this site and have to add that it's one of my favorites both in terms of handling and aesthetics. You won't be dissapointed.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I was to buy one today, The Agincourt would be my choice. I am in favor of the curved cross guard as well. I don't like a cross guard to dig into my arms as I swing.
I don't mind the round pommel at all but I would prefer the sent stopper.
The belt hang is up to you I believe. If your tall, you can get away with a early-period style scabbard. I do for my bastard sword.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to admit that the entire Againcourt, Fiore, Ringeck, Talhoffer generic blade lineup really makes me want to buy another sword. If Albion had not made the mistake of offering so many tough choices, I probably would have made up my mind and bought any one of them by now had it been the only Albion model choice of this style out there. Since rumor of peened construction came out, I decided to wait for ATrim to get a dedicated and well used/ abused cutter!

Below is my own opinion and personal preference at this $750-$1000 price point. I have handled, test cut, and test thrust against soft-medium targets with several blades similar to the Againcourt in terms of blade type and published statisics .

Its interesting to compare the statistics of Albion models using the same blade as the Againcourt against a more unique (at least in terms of reproductions) sword like the Sempach (which I own.). If I were to do blind folded drills, it would probably be very difficult for me to feel significant differences based on kinetic performance. The Sempach may have the center of balance a little farther out, but is lighter such that it handles extremely well. Despite being lighter, the wider fullered blade is quite stiff for thrusts and half swording. Having the CoP a farther out seems to help the Sempach hold its own in cutting. If you don't know where you will eventually end up (armoured?), the Sempach is a possible consideration that has a little more unique character and more versatility in my opinion. It costs a little more, but, there are a lot of models of the Againcourt blade type that are very well suited for casual drills, test cutting, and acceptable historical authenticity that will cost just as much less if you consider other makers.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alfonso Asensio wrote:
Thank you both, this actually helps a lot. The threads cover most of what I was considering about the sword.
actually my preference for Agincourt instead of Talhoffer has to do with the crossguard rather than the pommel, I like the curved shape rather than a straight one. I don't know if that has any effect in how they handle.
One last question if I may, do you think the sword is too long to have it in a early-period style scabbard (belt divided in two parts and wrapped around the scabbard) instead of one suspended/hanging down from the belt?

Thank you

I'm not sure here, since you guys are alittle later than my period, but I think that the earlier suspension style is gonna be problematic with such a long sword. If nothing else, I don't think that style of suspension was in use still by the 14th C. But, you don't have to listen to me, since I'm not as knowledgable about the 14th C as I am about the 10th-12th C...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alfonso Asensio wrote:

Thank you

The sword is not too long for that style suspension. However, as Robin pointed out, that style of suspension doesn't fit the sword in terms of time period. That style seems to go out of fashion by the mid 14th century (at the latest).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
S. Mighton

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My buddy says that even though it's heavy, it handles extremely well. He just got his and he says it handles like a hand-and-a-half version of their Poitiers. I briefly handled his Poitiers and it's extremely nice. I don't have experience handling a long of different replicas, but the Poitiers was probably the smoothest, fastest sword I've ever handled. Take that for what it's worth. I'm currently saving up for the Agincourt.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I spent 3 months deciding between the Agincourt, Talhoffer and the Arms & Armor "Black Prince'. Then it came down to the Talhoffer and the Black Prince (customized with Agincourt / Talhoffer attributes to the blade). I went with the Black Prince (customized).
I had handled the Talhoffer and the Black Prince, making the decision about drove my wife nuts! Laughing Out Loud
Now I am starting to think about the Agincourt, even though I have the customized Black Prince which is Awesome!
It's twice as thick as the standard Black Prince and the distal taper is more acute than the standard so as to maintain some of the fine aspects of the Talhoffer / Agincourt blade.
The custom Black Prince from Arms & Armor is a nice remedy and one heck of a Nice sword for just an extra $100.00 to the standard price! Still maintains the wonderful flowing agility of the Black Prince too!

These are Nice Swords For Sure!

Bob
Alfonso Asensio

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback, this is probably all I need to decide

(For those who mention interest in getting an Agincourt, Albion quoted a leadtime of 16 weeks for production of this sword)
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alfonso Asensio wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback, this is probably all I need to decide

(For those who mention interest in getting an Agincourt, Albion quoted a leadtime of 16 weeks for production of this sword)

They quoted me 16 weeks on my Kingmaker but they actually got it to me over a month early so don't be suprised if a white box shows up on your doorstep.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About Albion's Agincourt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic