Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > AT1566 and others Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Chris Boatcallie

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have tried to contact you via email and asked questions here that were not answered so I will give this one final try. I am interested in the 1403 and have sent two emails today to set up this order and am assuming you are working. I inquired about the availability of the 1403 since you stated you would only do 4, whether the grip could be a standard brown, and whether an umbrella pommel was available for it (if not then which pommel)? I wanted to get these answers and confirm the 1/3 $150 down payment to be sent if an agreement is reached.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Michael Barna"][quote="Angus Trim"][quote="Michael Barna"]
Quote:

Good answer and many thanks.

Just to push the issue Big Grin what do you consider to be the most efficient cutter in the single handed category? Does it necessarially follow that one must go wide and heavy to get a sweet cutter? I tend to prefer a 2 - 2.5 lb sword with the POB less than 4 inches away from the guard but am willing to follow your advice to get the best performing cutter.

Kind regards,

Mike

Hi Mike

Not even close, its the 1404. It also handles "smaller than it is"...........

The distal taper is pretty extreme right from the cross, then flattens out. That's very much like the antique, and it makes for a very quick handling sword, one that belies its weight.........

I no longer remember what happened to the one Mac reviewed {first one made}, but that was a "shop sword" for a while too. Another one I had intended to keep.

Nothing has changed since the beginning.........Weight? They measure here about 2lbs ll, 2lbs 12. But they don't handle like that..........more like 2lbs 4...........

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Boatcallie wrote:
I have tried to contact you via email and asked questions here that were not answered so I will give this one final try. I am interested in the 1403 and have sent two emails today to set up this order and am assuming you are working. I inquired about the availability of the 1403 since you stated you would only do 4, whether the grip could be a standard brown, and whether an umbrella pommel was available for it (if not then which pommel)? I wanted to get these answers and confirm the 1/3 $150 down payment to be sent if an agreement is reached.

Hi Chris

Probably got something to do with your email address, and my filter. They were both in the "Bulk Folder" along with about 200 of this morning's spam.......

Thanks for trying again. I'm going to respond, and please respond back, we'll see if we can't "train" the filter.........

swords are fun
Chris Boatcallie

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay. I responded to your email and sent the downpayment with all my contact information. I am in for a 1403, and I am definately looking forward to finally trying out one of your blades. This sale put the sword within my wife's budget for my "late" Christmas present.
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1. AT1520 http://www.myArmoury.com/review_cf_at1520.html Also see top of this thread for image.
2. AT1566 See top of this thread for image.
3. DN1506 http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t...ght=at1506 http://angustrimdirect.com/models/swede/swede.htm

{the above $400 ea}

4. AT1403 http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t...ght=at1403

{the above $430}

5. AT1557 http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fl...r_16,.html
6. AT1404 {fullers to remain black} http://www.myArmoury.com/review_at_moon.html

{the above for $300}

7. AT1502 http://www.angustrimdirect.com/models/unamed_16/unamed_16.htm

There. Those links should help people find out what's what. BEAR IN MIND some are customized in the links and will not reflect the hilts/scabbards on a stock sword.

Angus, why do you label some warswords and some longswords? What aspect do you feel seperates them?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:

Angus, why do you label some warswords and some longswords? What aspect do you feel seperates them?

Hi George

I guess you could call it my interpretation of what the sword was designed for. Both are hand and a half swords, and both could be called longswords......

But I feel a warsword is meant from the design as a weapon of war, and should be able to deal with some of the abuse a weapon of war might have to face. Not necessarily true of a longsword........

When I differentiate between bastard sword, say, and longsword, its my feeling that the longsword is better suited for the martial arts of Europe of the 15th century. Same when I differentiate between longsword and warsword. A warsword might be ok for, Fiore, say, but a longsword must be. A longsword might be ok for war, but a warsword must be.........

swords are fun
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George, thanks for the links... that fills out the missing info for me.
I had been able to find only about half of those.
Let me chew on this for a bit, and I should be able to sort out what I want... some of those are very nice! (I'm looking at the blades primarily, and understand not to be confused by CF's custom work).

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Shipping to other nations         Reply with quote

Having requests for nations I haven't shipped to before, I went to USPS and checked a couple things.

I can ship a 50 inch sword, or a couple of 48 inch swords {total length} to New Zealand for $75. It will take some custom box work here, but I've done that before shipping to Australia........

Believe it or not, shipping a sword to Australia is a bit more challenging. I can just squeak a 48 inch sword using USPS to Australia.......

swords are fun
David Martin

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gus,

I sent this to you as a PM, but I thought I'd post in here in the event that others would be interested in this option:

Please feel free to ship my sword disassembled. My thought is that this would allow you to sent it in a plain cardboard mailing tube. Hopefully this would cut down on shipping costs as well as time in packaging.

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Martin wrote:
Gus,

I sent this to you as a PM, but I thought I'd post in here in the event that others would be interested in this option:

Please feel free to ship my sword disassembled. My thought is that this would allow you to sent it in a plain cardboard mailing tube. Hopefully this would cut down on shipping costs as well as time in packaging.

My Christian Fletcher AT 1435 came partially disassembled: The handle and pommel screwed on with the wide guard taped to the outside of bubble warp around the sword ( or at least in the package. I might misremember the details ).

This made the package much smaller in width than if the guard was on the sword.

A mailing tube would have to be still at least 3" in diameter and cardboard might be easily damaged ? A PVC tube maybe ?
And some padding around the sword in the tube ?

Don't know how Gus ships his swords but I assume that he uses the most cost effective and EFFECTIVE method.

A tube might cost the same to ship as a box ? Length being probably what increases the shipping costs the most ?

( NOTE to Gus: Oh I have a short P.M. that I see you haven'y yet read ? Just a reminder to check your P.M. s here on the site. There is nothing needing quick attention in mine, but you may have other P.M. s from others that you may have missed ? Oh, and I realise that there may be a few days delay between times you check on P.M. s : So this is just F.Y.I. and my trying to be helpful ). Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Tue 23 Oct, 2007 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Martin

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
A mailing tube would have to be still at least 3" in diameter and cardboard night be easily damaged ? A PVC tube maybe ?

I've seen very long (60") 4" diameter cardboard mailing tubes so thick that you would need to run them over with a truck to crush them. ;-) I just don't know about the cost. I would think that a little bubble wrap to immobilize the sword in the tube would be all that is needed.

Just a thought...

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
David Martin wrote:
Gus,

My Christian Fletcher AT 1435 came partially disassembled: The handle and pommel screwed on with the wide guard taped to the outside of bubble warp around the sword ( or at least in the package. I might misremember the details ).

This made the package much smaller in width than if the guard was on the sword.

A mailing tube would have to be still at least 3" in diameter and cardboard night be easily damaged ? A PVC tube maybe ?

Don't know how Gus ships his swords but I assume that he uses the most cost effective and EFFECTIVE method.

A tube might cost the same to ship as a box ? Length being probably what increases the shipping costs the most ?

( NOTE to Gus: Oh I have a short P.M. that I see you haven'y yet read ? Just a reminder to check your P.M. s here on the site. There is nothing needing quick attention in mine, but you may have other P.M. s from others that you may have missed ? Oh, and I realise that there may be a few days delay between times you check on P.M. s : So this is just F.Y.I. and my trying to be helpful ). Big Grin Cool

Hi Jean

Started the 1566s yesterday. So, had machine going, and did some grinding on some current stuff. Then last nite was visit with daughters and their spouses. I didn't quite get caught up on PMs and email. Same thing today, except catching up now......

Not quite overwhelmed with PMs and emails, but there is quite a bit of traffic..........*g*

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Hi Jean

Started the 1566s yesterday. So, had machine going, and did some grinding on some current stuff. Then last nite was visit with daughters and their spouses. I didn't quite get caught up on PMs and email. Same thing today, except catching up now......

Not quite overwhelmed with PMs and emails, but there is quite a bit of traffic..........*g*

No problem but the thing with e-mail is people forget that life can get in the way of an immediate answer and a few days for replies does NOT mean that one is being ignored. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Modern communication creates the expectation of instant gratification: Just think a few centuries ago when one had to wait at least 2 months for a letter to cross the Atlantic and two months for a reply to come back. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Oh, and lots of e-mails are a good thing if they are orders for swords I think. Big Grin

Roy Robinson Stewart

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping to other nations         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Having requests for nations I haven't shipped to before, I went to USPS and checked a couple things.

I can ship a 50 inch sword, or a couple of 48 inch swords {total length} to New Zealand for $75. It will take some custom box work here, but I've done that before shipping to Australia........

Believe it or not, shipping a sword to Australia is a bit more challenging. I can just squeak a 48 inch sword using USPS to Australia.......

That's excellent thankyou Gus, rounding up some funds to send your way for the mighty 1403 and the beautiful 1506.

Happy
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Gus,

Just wanted to let you know I sent you a PM. Talk to you soon.
George K. Abraham

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Gus,

I have been trying to reach you via email and phone on a sword order I had discussed with you earlier this week. You mentioned you accepted down payment via PayPal. Can you send me a PayPal invoice to the address I emailed you earlier? (The Yahoo! email address.) Much appreciated!

Warm Regards,
George K. Abraham
Everett, Washington
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of quick notes on the sale...........

I'm at roughly 60% of my initial goal, now have one payment left......... and some cleanup of course.......

The interest in the 1403 is kind of shocking. I went over 4 orders that first day. I believe I'm at 8 now, and have got more material for this inbound.........

In a couple of hours, I'm going to heat treat, with a couple of the first 1566s and two 1502s. When I set the machine back up, a couple more 1566s, the first of the 1403s, probably the 1520s.........

swords are fun
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Martin wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I've seen very long (60") 4" diameter cardboard mailing tubes so thick that you would need to run them over with a truck to crush them. ;-) I just don't know about the cost. I would think that a little bubble wrap to immobilize the sword in the tube would be all that is needed.

Just a thought...

Carpet sellers/installers are good resources for this tubing.

Jeff

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:

I'm at roughly 60% of my initial goal, now have one payment left......... and some cleanup of course.......

The interest in the 1403 is kind of shocking. I went over 4 orders that first day. I believe I'm at 8 now, and have got more material for this inbound.........

In a couple of hours, I'm going to heat treat, with a couple of the first 1566s and two 1502s. When I set the machine back up, a couple more 1566s, the first of the 1403s, probably the 1520s.........

I'm glad to take credit for suggesting the 1403 Wink Big Grin I was always looking at it on your web site and was very tempted: The sale was the tipping point but the other thing slowing my decision to buy was in part the lack of activity on your web site and my knowledge about the " rebooting/reorganization " of the business that made the process of making an immediate purchase unclear ! Oh, I guess an e-mail might have worked to get the order done anyway, but at times a small obstacle is enough to delay the decision to buy stuff.

The main point I'm making is that " marketing " in the widest sense of the word is important to keep the momentum of sales going, and that means not neglecting the web-site and making sure that someone wanting to order has a very clear and easy way to do it. Even if it just means having an explicit explanation that would say " To order = Send e-mail ".

A lot of sites have some sort of " shopping cart " or a part of the site dedicated to " making the order ", and if your method is simply to send an e-mail it has to be " HIGHLY VISIBLE " on the site: In other words, if the potential client is confused or unsure about the process he/she might just not order !

The point of this message is just to give you an insight into the reasons I bought the sword NOW and why I didn't order sooner i.e. the psychology behind why people ( Me ) decide to send money your way. Wink And I hope that the information can be useful when you get to updating your website and marketing strategy.

Angus Trim

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:

I'm glad to take credit for suggesting the 1403 Wink Big Grin I was always looking at it on your web site and was very tempted: The sale was the tipping point but the other thing slowing my decision to buy was in part the lack of activity on your web site and my knowledge about the " rebooting/reorganization " of the business that made the process of making an immediate purchase unclear ! Oh, I guess an e-mail might have worked to get the order done anyway, but at times a small obstacle is enough to delay the decision to buy stuff.

The main point I'm making is that " marketing " in the widest sense of the word is important to keep the momentum of sales going, and that means not neglecting the web-site and making sure that someone wanting to order has a very clear and easy way to do it. Even if it just means having an explicit explanation that would say " To order = Send e-mail ".

A lot of sites have some sort of " shopping cart " or a part of the site dedicated to " making the order ", and if your method is simply to send an e-mail it has to be " HIGHLY VISIBLE " on the site: In other words, if the potential client is confused or unsure about the process he/she might just not order !

The point of this message is just to give you an insight into the reasons I bought the sword NOW and why I didn't order sooner i.e. the psychology behind why people ( Me ) decide to send money your way. Wink And I hope that the information can be useful when you get to updating your website and marketing strategy.

Hi Jean

This sale has actually started the "rebooting" process too........

I've been a little nebulous about my goals here, and probably will be for a couple days, time crunched more than anything....

But, last year, about this time, I would announce that I was going to go "in this direction", or "start this project", and do "this to get that back in line", and everytime I'd say something publicly, some happening or disaster would happen to derail things. Every time........

After the shop flood in April, and my taking stock of the situation.... I decided to not say much pubicly for a while, and just aim to get the machine contract done. Focus on that above all else. The funny thing is, that if I finished something for stock, it would inevitably sell before I could announce it........

So, here we are today. One machine payment made, one to go. Material ordered for what was ordered on this sale {if I didn't already have it}. Shipping material ordered for this sale, and for the backlog that's nearly ready to go.

The goals of the sale?

Pay off the damn machine.
Get the orders sitting here to the owners
Get the sale stuff moving.....
Pay for all the supplies for the sale....
Begin the "reboot"......

That's what the downpayments are being used for..........and its working.......

The reboot will take about 4 months. One site will disappear, the other will become current.........Communication here will become better, probably meaning a new server for the email..........but its going to take four months.......

swords are fun

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > AT1566 and others
Page 4 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: