Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New to the Medieval Market Gage Designs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: New to the Medieval Market Gage Designs         Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is John Gage, I am new to the forum and i am the owner and creator of Gage Designs. I am first an artist i have dabbled in just about every medium. I have been studying the metal arts for over 4 years and last year decided to create medival weaponry which has evolved into unique custom metal works. I am currently designing my own sword line and i would really like to get opinions of my work up to date. I am new to the business and i am learning as i grow so any input would be greatly aprpreciated.

Thanx,
Sincerely,
John Gage

http://www.GageDesigns.com
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Medieval Market Gage Designs         Reply with quote

John Gage wrote:
Hello,

My name is John Gage, I am new to the forum and i am the owner and creator of Gage Designs. I am first an artist i have dabbled in just about every medium. I have been studying the metal arts for over 4 years and last year decided to create medival weaponry which has evolved into unique custom metal works. I am currently designing my own sword line and i would really like to get opinions of my work up to date. I am new to the business and i am learning as i grow so any input would be greatly aprpreciated.

Thanx,
Sincerely,
John Gage

http://www.GageDesigns.com

Hi John, welcome to myArmoury.com!

I went to your website and think that the aesthetics of the weaponry happens to be quite sharp for fantasy stuff. I have a few questions in regards to the weapons before I can really comment on the designs and the listed attributes.

First of all, who is your targeted market? Are you after collectors of unique objects of arts? Fantasy weapons collectors?

Second, do you intend for these weapons to be display pieces or functional weapons?

Third, do you intend to just do fantastic weaponry or are you interested in making any thing more historically inspired?

Lastly, have you ever practiced any form of western martial arts?

These questions are put to you so I can better understand the context and allow me to better shape my comments to make them more useful to you.

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Gage Designs         Reply with quote

Hi Shawn,

I appreciate your questions. The market that i have chosen is medieval and fantasy art objects, im not exactly sure that this specific market exists but it is primarily marketed to anyone wanting custom work whether it be fantasy or historical. I am constantly studying all types of various artistic metal work such as armor, medieval weaponry , sculpture and various medieval wares. I am working in the metal arts because after doing artwork in just about every other medium i have found working with metals has become my passion. Most of my weapons are designed to be functional depending on the weight and balance and it depends on the request of my clients ie: type of steel used and heat treatment. I am interested in historical projects but my clients have seemed to want something out of the ordinary. As for your final question I have never practiced any form of martial arts. The items that have been made thus far are not designed for that purpose. Although i am able to work well with my clients to give them precicely what they are looking for.
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi John... The design work is really good, I think. It does seem far more to the fantasy than the medieval, though. Partly that is design, but it is also weight wise. Most Medieval weapons tended to stay under the 5 pound mark, except for some of the really big swords and such. (That isn't a criticism of your work, by the way... Just a comment from the practical functionality end of the spectrum. Not that I don't design a lot of fantasy stuff myself, on the side. I just never have made it or had it made...)

Oh, I really like that ball peen warhammer. Would love to own one similar with squared off edges and to more or less symmetrical faces. Thor's hammer type thing, really... Happy
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Gage Designs         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
Hi John... The design work is really good, I think. It does seem far more to the fantasy than the medieval, though. Partly that is design, but it is also weight wise. Most Medieval weapons tended to stay under the 5 pound mark, except for some of the really big swords and such. (That isn't a criticism of your work, by the way... Just a comment from the practical functionality end of the spectrum. Not that I don't design a lot of fantasy stuff myself, on the side. I just never have made it or had it made...)

Oh, I really like that ball peen warhammer. Would love to own one similar with squared off edges and to more or less symmetrical faces. Thor's hammer type thing, really... Happy

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your comments. I agree that my work to date has leaned more to the fantasy side of the market. The designs are definately heavier than traditional weaponry. Although i do the best at balancing my pieces i realize they would never be used in any martial art or melee. I have always from as far back as i can rrremember been into medieval history and fantasy art and artists ie: Frank Frazetta, Boris Vallejo, Brom etc.. A little over a year ago i sat down and drew over at least 50 drawings of fantasy weapons from my own head. The first piece that i took from my drawings was the 2 handed scepter mace. Once completed i showed it around and got some really great incouragement from freinds, family and a local weapon retailer. Shortly after that I started Gage Designs and have been growing steadily. I have many more ideas of markets to dive into , like swords and armor but again of my own design based on historical references
The custom aspect of my business has evolved into filling the needs of people who want something specific from whatever reference they choose. I have no problem with making a historic replica for someone as i work from my clients precise specifications. So Scott as far as the hammer goes i would love to work closely with you to create "Thors hammer".

Thank you all for your time,
Sincerely,
John Gage
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi John,
Looks like you've got the talent and ability to form metal! I can only echo what's been said so far in that you've got some good looking fantasy designs.

I myself am less into fantasy stuff and more into historically based weapons, but that's no reflection on your ability. What I would suggest, however, is that you try your best to examine some original weapons. I find that the best replicas, be they based on a historical piece or from the imagination, manage to capture the tiny, subtle elements that make a weapon truly functional. Things such as the subtleties of edge geometry, or the crispness of the fuller. Not that a functional weapon has to be perfect, but the best ones show that the maker paid a lot of attention to small details.

This site is a fantastic resource for pictures, though if you get a chance to see original pieces up close, that's the way to really learn. I know I used to think cheapo-knock off stainless steel swords from Taiwan were the greatest things, but having spent a good deal of time over the years seeing quality work and learning more about historical pieces, my tastes have changed, and I think more and more people in the market are heading that way, too.

Good luck to you, and welcome to myArmoury!
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gage Designs         Reply with quote

John Gage wrote:
Scott Byler wrote:

I have no problem with making a historic replica for someone as i work from my clients precise specifications. So Scott as far as the hammer goes i would love to work closely with you to create "Thors hammer".

Hey John, it sounds like we have some similar interests, then. Very similar, really. If I can ever get any cash ahead you may hear from me on a hammer. Not for a while, though. I'm sinking every dime I have into getting set up to do blades 'professionally' as it were. (That may or may not be a huge stretch. I guess it remains to be seen. lol )
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Warhammer         Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Whenever you would like something from me i would happy to take care of you.
Man do i hear ya on the spending the coin to get yourself setup. It is a quite daunting task. I do all of my own networking, website design, marketing, product design and the all important task of creating the final pieces. I wish you the best of luck and i would really like to see what you have created.

Thanx again,

Sincerely,
John Gage
Jon C. Webb

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John, I really like the dagger with metal sheath. Also enjoyed the tour of your foundry/shop. Good luck!
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jon C. Webb wrote:
John, I really like the dagger with metal sheath. Also enjoyed the tour of your foundry/shop. Good luck!

Hi Jon,

Thank you, I am glad you like the dagger with the steel sheath . I left the sheath pretty plain on those... its pretty much an open canvas for any additive forms whether it be from steel or even other metals like brass and copper. I am also going to be starting casting non-ferrous metals from my own sculpted parts,( like pommels and hilts) the possibilities are endless. As for my shop its small at the moment and i am desperately trying to find a bigger place in Rochester, New York that is within my budget.

Take care,
John Gage
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Hi John,
Looks like you've got the talent and ability to form metal! I can only echo what's been said so far in that you've got some good looking fantasy designs.

I myself am less into fantasy stuff and more into historically based weapons, but that's no reflection on your ability. What I would suggest, however, is that you try your best to examine some original weapons. I find that the best replicas, be they based on a historical piece or from the imagination, manage to capture the tiny, subtle elements that make a weapon truly functional. Things such as the subtleties of edge geometry, or the crispness of the fuller. Not that a functional weapon has to be perfect, but the best ones show that the maker paid a lot of attention to small details.

This site is a fantastic resource for pictures, though if you get a chance to see original pieces up close, that's the way to really learn. I know I used to think cheapo-knock off stainless steel swords from Taiwan were the greatest things, but having spent a good deal of time over the years seeing quality work and learning more about historical pieces, my tastes have changed, and I think more and more people in the market are heading that way, too.

Good luck to you, and welcome to myArmoury!

Hey Bill,

Thanx for your compliments and constructive criticism as it is very much appreciated. I am very interested in doing some work with more historic weaponry. The only thing that is a bit tough for me is that the market is chock full of reproductions of just about every sort. Me being fanatically creative i tend to shoot from the hip. If anyone or yourself has any ideas of something they would like to see made and havent yet, im all ears. Or should i use a historic piece as a guideline and make it my own historic based creation. Im not really sure which way to go with that one. Any and all comments would be sooo helpful. I would ask anyone to please be as candid as they want to about my work so far so please pull no punches. I am here to gain as much knowlege as possible and to do likewise when i can.

Thanx,
John
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gage Designs         Reply with quote

John Gage wrote:
Hi Shawn,

I appreciate your questions. The market that i have chosen is medieval and fantasy art objects, im not exactly sure that this specific market exists but it is primarily marketed to anyone wanting custom work whether it be fantasy or historical. I am constantly studying all types of various artistic metal work such as armor, medieval weaponry , sculpture and various medieval wares. I am working in the metal arts because after doing artwork in just about every other medium i have found working with metals has become my passion. Most of my weapons are designed to be functional depending on the weight and balance and it depends on the request of my clients ie: type of steel used and heat treatment. I am interested in historical projects but my clients have seemed to want something out of the ordinary. As for your final question I have never practiced any form of martial arts. The items that have been made thus far are not designed for that purpose. Although i am able to work well with my clients to give them precicely what they are looking for.

Well, John...
It looks as if I no longer need to answer your questions as the people have spoken!

I personally prefer weapons of an historically inspired design of non-stainless steel myself. But there is a vibrant market for fantasy weapons and artistic pieces. I will keep an eye on your web site and see what developes. Best of luck!

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome John !

I really like your 1877 Buffalo Coal Forge ..... very neat !

Slàinte, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Welcome John !

I really like your 1877 Buffalo Coal Forge ..... very neat !

Slàinte, Mac

Hi Mac,

I found that forge at an auction a couple of years ago along with a dozen tongs and anvil for really cheap. Its a beauty! I am looking for a gas forge as well.

Thanx,
John
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That really is a great looking forge John ! Gas is really convenient but theres nothing like the smell of coal .

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New to the Medieval Market Gage Designs
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic