Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scot baskethilts on E-Bay
Baskethilt on E-bay

Starting bid 1200.00 GBP ( US $ 2,242.50 ) with Reserve .

Description
SCOTTISH BASKETHILT SWORD, CIRCA-1720-1750 THE BASKET IS OF GLASGOW STYLE AND HAS NICE OLD BROWNED PATINA.UNUSUAL & RARE ORIGINAL BONE HANDLE WITH SMOOTH AGED FINISH. THE BLADE IS 34" AND IN VERY GOOD CONDITION WITH ONE DEEP CENTRAL FULLER AND MAKERS NAME ETCHED AT THE TOP. YOU HAVE A CHANCE OF OWNING A GENUINE PIECE OF SCOTTISH HIGHLAND HISTORY.

Attachment: 48.63 KB
ebay basket.jpg

Attachment: 61.55 KB
ebay basket 2.jpg

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Tue 02 Mar, 2004 4:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
And another .....

Wilkinson baskethilt

Starting bid $850.00 , no Reserve !

Absolutely flawless sword. The 32 1/2" etched blade is numbered 98489. "Wilkinson Sword" 2002 price list states the value (cost) at US $2062. plus $161. shipping. No regimental markings. Please e-mail me for additional photos if required.

Attachment: 20.31 KB
ebay baskethilt 3.jpg

You missed one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...gory=13957

A SIGNED (John Simpson) Glasgow Horseman's hilt backsword, with an "Andrea Ferara" marked blade....

[ Linked Image ]
Re: Scot baskethilts on E-Bay
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Baskethilt on E-bay

Starting bid 1200.00 GBP ( US $ 2,242.50 ) with Reserve .

Description
SCOTTISH BASKETHILT SWORD, CIRCA-1720-1750 THE BASKET IS OF GLASGOW STYLE AND HAS NICE OLD BROWNED PATINA.UNUSUAL & RARE ORIGINAL BONE HANDLE WITH SMOOTH AGED FINISH. THE BLADE IS 34" AND IN VERY GOOD CONDITION WITH ONE DEEP CENTRAL FULLER AND MAKERS NAME ETCHED AT THE TOP. YOU HAVE A CHANCE OF OWNING A GENUINE PIECE OF SCOTTISH HIGHLAND HISTORY.

This one looks like a Samuel Harvey, at least to me....
Hi Dave,
May be a Harvey, but he usually did back blades. At any rate, it's for sure English cavalry!

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for the photos! There's actually 3 more baskets in the pre-1700 section, but they're "iffy"!

I'm considering the ISG basket. Grip is replaced, condition is pitted, but stiill......

-ElJay
E.B. Erickson wrote:
Hi Dave,
May be a Harvey, but he usually did back blades. At any rate, it's for sure English cavalry!
Hi Thomas,Thanks for the photos! There's actually 3 more baskets in the pre-1700 section, but they're "iffy"!
I'm considering the ISG basket. Grip is replaced, condition is pitted, but stiill......-ElJay

HI Eljay

Best of luck, should you go for it !

I'm going to request a photo of the hilts initials ..... just to see how they're stamped !
I'll post it if I get it !

Mac
The seller sent me these pic's, that I requested, of the Simpson baskets makers stamp , IS over G

Mac

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Compare that hilts signiture,as well as its rams horns, with this original Simpson !

Mac

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ]
Another original stamping ...... and a closeup of the e-bay one !

Attachment: 18.76 KB
Simpson Glasgow ISG.jpg

Attachment: 14.07 KB
ebay basket stamp.jpg

Hi Thomas,
Good idea to post comparison signatures! The seller sent me the same scan of the ISG, but I hadn't thought of posting examples of documented specimens.

Looks pretty good, doesn't it.

--ElJay
E.B. Erickson wrote:
Hi Thomas,
Good idea to post comparison signatures! The seller sent me the same scan of the ISG, but I hadn't thought of posting examples of documented specimens.
Looks pretty good, doesn't it.
--ElJay

Hi Eljay

The striking of the S had me questioning whether it could have been an old forgery (signature-wise), as most of the examples I've seen have all the letters the same size, more or less, and that one is small in comparison ! ( plus it's kinda off-centered)

The G is a little funky , but that could just be age & wear ! Lot's of these stamps no doubt got messed up thru the years !

But I dunno ...... I've not seen nearly enough of what's out there , and it's easily possible some were struck like this one ?

Simpson or not, it looks to be a nice old piece !

Good luck , Mac
The Simpson has taken a big jump , price-wise ( which we knew would happen) !

Hang in there Eljay , ;-) Mac
The SImpson getting too rich for your blood?
How about this: A John Allan of Stirling?

All of a sudden the signed swords are coming out of the woodwork, so it seems.....
David Wilson wrote:
The SImpson getting too rich for your blood?
How about this: A John Allen of Stirling?
All the sudden, the signed swords are coming out of the woodwork, so it seems.....

Good eye, Dave ..... we must keep abreast of these things *g* ( plus we get to bug the seller for more pic's & stats ;-)

This guy also has a John Bailey hanger for sale,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...2229825244
which is similar to the one that Scot pointed out at this link : http://www.aaawt.com/html/item/15.html

Some cool things for sale these days , Mac
Well, the John Simpson sword went... for $10,100!!!!!

The John Allen of Stirling is still going strong at $3,450. What do you bet it will surpass the Simpson?
David Wilson wrote:
Well, the John Simpson sword went... for $10,100!!!!!
The John Allen of Stirling is still going strong at $3,450. What do you bet it will surpass the Simpson?

Hi Dave

Yeah, I've been watching these auctions with interest ...... ( very frustrating not being one of the high-rollers, though ;-)

I knew the Simpson was gonna get up there, and I'm sure the Allan will follow suit !

I requested some additional pic's on the Allan ( full-view, grip area), as well as it's weight , etc., and was told he'd try & get them to me by Monday ( guess he's tied up this weekend).

If nothing else we can document this piece for our files *g*

Wish I had the bucks to give this one the old college try ..... Ah well, maybe next time ;-)

Mac
Whooee! I thought the ISG would stall around 5K because of it's condition; guess a couple of guys really wanted it!
I didn't bid on the Simpson, and won't bid on the Allan, either. When the prices get way up there, I want to be able to hold the sword and examine it, but I'm just not on the right side of the world to be able to do that. What I wouldn't want to have happen is to end up with a real antique sword with a faked signature (total worth $2000) that I paid an arm and a leg for!

Fun to watch, though! --ElJay
E.B. Erickson wrote:
Whooee! I thought the ISG would stall around 5K because of it's condition; guess a couple of guys really wanted it!
I didn't bid on the Simpson, and won't bid on the Allan, either. When the prices get way up there, I want to be able to hold the sword and examine it, but I'm just not on the right side of the world to be able to do that. What I wouldn't want to have happen is to end up with a real antique sword with a faked signature (total worth $2000) that I paid an arm and a leg for!
Fun to watch, though! --ElJay

Hi Eljay

I hear ya ....

It's tough enough trying to figure out if some of these pieces are legit , over the internet, let alone whether the markings are the real McCoy ! There are just way too many good fakers out there !

What they should really have setup for these high-end auction pieces is an escrow account , which holds the money till the buyer is satisfied that the piece is genuine ...... trusting an e-bay ad that says "Money Back Guarentee" , when your dealing in thousands, does not make me sleep good at night !

Guess I'll have to keep looking for that little old lady with the claidheamh mor's gathering dust in the attic ....
"Oh those old things .... just take them" *g* Mac

Mac
Oh well, the seller of the John Allen decided to withdraw it from auction.... too bad, it would have been fun to watch the race!
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: