What are the best things to cut
Hey, i was recently thinking doing some test cutting and i was wondering what would be some good cutting materials? such as light cutting to hard cutting??? :?:
There are some good posts on here about test cutting targets that the search function and a bit of persistence will show up. Try searching for "test cutting" and "cutting targets".

I am no expert, but I think the following is a reasonable summary:

For very light cutting milk jugs full of water and pool noodles are fun.
For slightly harder targets PET soft drink bottles full of water present a little more of a challenge.
For actual technique-testing cutting rolled up soaked newspaper wrapped in duct tape is a good "poor man's tatami".

I don't know how to link to specific posts but there is a post by Peter Johnsson in this thread where he describes building soaked newspaper targets. http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=9239. It would probably be a good idea to read this thread too http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4496 :)
And this time of year is good for taking revenge against some of those degenerate, dastardly zuccinni!
Pumpkins in the fall.

Pool noodles in the summer.
I favor about a half inch (centimeter) of rolled up wet newspaper rolled around (secure it with duct tape) a green limb that is around 3/4" to 1" (20 to 25 mm) in diameter. This is not a bad approximation of flesh around bone. It surprisingly harder to cut through than just wet paper, cardboard, etc. However, if cut reasonably straight, it does not seem to cause a lot of edge trauma to the sword!
Get a pig half from the butchers and combine cutting tests and a good ole BBQ?

:p

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: