Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > short magazine lee enfield mkIII Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AHH another post, cant sleep.

Just on safety

One thing to consider before you do fire the weapon, is to clean the bore before you shoot it. If there is oil or grease in the barrel, you could bulge the barrel, worse case scenario would be it blowing out!

Not nice

Run some patches through the bore until clean, better still use a solvent with your first patch ( something like Hoppes no 9) You dont want a really strong solvent for a old bore. Then run 2-3 dry ones through.

The .303 cartridge is a powerful caliber, but there are nastier ones out there. It will hurt your ears more than anything else. I think you will be surprised how well the rifle handles, theres hardly any kick.

N
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is more like the one on the pic of shayan G. it looks like it...
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
It is more like the one on the pic of shayan G. it looks like it...

Hard to see but that looks like a LE Mk1, with volley sights etc. Could be a No1 MkIII?. Mate if your grandad bought a Khyber pass rifle dont shoot it please!

Nick
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should say SMLE Mk1, not a LE Mk1 sorry.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shayan G wrote:
Ah, I remember reading that somewhere too, thanks for reminding me! The account that first popped into my mind was of an antique, and even some of the ammunition used in the antique rifle was leftover from the British, which is what really astounded me. I don't know too much about rifles and I had NO idea antique ammunition could work decades after manufacture. The Enfield sounds like quite the rifle.

Ammunition, if properly sealed and stored, has a very long shelf life, although reliability can be a problem. I have some very old Turkish 8MM rounds that will fire, but have corrosive primers, which adds to the cleaning chore. All that being said, I would not intentionally used antique ammunition unless it was all that was available.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Back when the British Army shifted from the old SMELLY (SMLE) to the L1A1, they dumped the Enfields into the American market and I, as a kid, bought one of the No. 5 Jungle Carbines. I couldn't resist it as it looked sooo "Cool"!!! But, my God, what an awful beast it was to shoot. I still have a scar on my forehead from the rear sight slamming back into it on recoil. The thing fired the full-house .303 round from a 18" barrel and the recoil was punishing no matter how you held it as well as the muzzle flash and blast being, shall we say, excessive.

I don't know how many of you have access to Military Small Arms of the Twentieth Century by Ian Hogg and John Weeks but you really should try to get a copy if for no other reason than Hogg's discussion of the SMLE vs P14 debate and the ensuing P17/Enfield Model 1917 history. One sidelight is that Sergeant Alvin York did not use a Springfield in the events that won him his Medal of Honor but a Model 1917.

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
Back when the British Army shifted from the old SMELLY (SMLE) to the L1A1, they dumped the Enfields into the American market and I, as a kid, bought one of the No. 5 Jungle Carbines. I couldn't resist it as it looked sooo "Cool"!!! But, my God, what an awful beast it was to shoot. I still have a scar on my forehead from the rear sight slamming back into it on recoil. The thing fired the full-house .303 round from a 18" barrel and the recoil was punishing no matter how you held it as well as the muzzle flash and blast being, shall we say, excessive.

I don't know how many of you have access to Military Small Arms of the Twentieth Century by Ian Hogg and John Weeks but you really should try to get a copy if for no other reason than Hogg's discussion of the SMLE vs P14 debate and the ensuing P17/Enfield Model 1917 history. One sidelight is that Sergeant Alvin York did not use a Springfield in the events that won him his Medal of Honor but a Model 1917.

That is absolutely right Hugh. The movie version of York's exploits is what made folks think he used a Springfield 03. It was the P17 that downed all those Germans. And, the P17 outnumbered Springfields throughout the AEF.

The jungle carbine was noted for muzzle blast and recoil, which is why you see them with the flash hider. They also had a "wandering zero" and were nearly impossible to keep sighted in. Today genuine jungle carbines are sought after so I hope that you hung on to yours, recoil, muzzle blast and all.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw my S.M.L.E. these last weeks and i tested the capacity of the magazine and it is a 10 Rounds it is a very good surprise for a sporterised rifle no? and i will probably put a scope like a red dot scope or something like that for hunting.
I'm really happy with the 10 rounds magazine Big Grin .
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:

Etienne; Make sure you check your local, provincial and national game laws first. Some jurisdictions limit you to 5 rounds for rifles, 3 for shotguns (when hunting birds with shotguns, that is. For deer with a shotgun it's usually 5 like a rifle).

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
I saw my S.M.L.E. these last weeks and i tested the capacity of the magazine and it is a 10 Rounds it is a very good surprise for a sporterised rifle no? and i will probably put a scope like a red dot scope or something like that for hunting.

I will echo what Gordon says about the number of rounds.

As far as optics, if you are hunting large game at some range, consider a telescopic sight of at least 4 power. A 3 X 9 variable scope is even better and be sure that you get one with at least a 40 mm objective.

Now, as we have not heard from you in awhile, I want to remind you of what was posted here about the rifle and its potential hazards. Be sure to have it looked at by a competent gunsmith before you shoot it and ignore the horrible advice about lowering the cocking piece on a loaded round. A recipe for disaster.

Lin Robinson

Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Id also like to add that if your rifle doesnt have HV or MKVII stamped somewhere on the barrel, dont shoot .303 X military ammunition. MKVII .303 ammo is the only .303 X military ammo on the market for shooting here in Australia. Which makes sense!

WW1 MkV ammo is collectible and should not be shot anyway.

Buy commercial, better results, with safer pressures.

Have fun with your toy!

N

Lin Robinson wrote:
Etienne Hamel wrote:

I will echo what Gordon says about the number of rounds.

As far as optics, if you are hunting large game at some range, consider a telescopic sight of at least 4 power. A 3 X 9 variable scope is even better and be sure that you get one with at least a 40 mm objective.

Now, as we have not heard from you in awhile, I want to remind you of what was posted here about the rifle and its potential hazards. Be sure to have it looked at by a competent gunsmith before you shoot it and ignore the horrible advice about lowering the cocking piece on a loaded round. A recipe for disaster.
Dylan Wachowicz

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got a Lee Enfield MKIII as a gift from my grandfather earlier tonight, and I do not know how to properly take it apart to clean, so I was hoping somebody would be able to explain how to do that, and yes I know it seems a bit off topic considering what was just posted. Thanks
Harold R.

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Make sure the rifle is unloaded.
Remove the magazine by pulling up on the small catch at the front of the trigger guard and rocking the mag slightly forward. It will come right out.
With the bolt pulled completely to the rear, look down on the right side of the bolt and you'll see as small protrusion that rides in a track on the right side of the reciever. Snap the protrusion up to a vertical position and pull the bolt out to the rear.
If you're just cleaning dust from the bore or cleaning it after shooting modern non-corrosive ammo, that's about as far as you'll have to disassemble. You may want to screw the head of the bolt off to give it a bit of a going over and to clean the front of the firing pin. I rarely take the pin out to clean an enfield because I don't feel the need to and because they're not easy for me to get back in.

To clean the rifle, I prefer one patch thoroughly soaked with a solvent. I run that down the bore and let it sit for a minute or two, then hit the bore with a brush to scrub out the now loosened fouling. Repeat if necessary.
Then run clean, dry patches down the bore until they come out white. After that, put a light coat of protective oil in the barrel.
Take a toothbrush to the bolt and reciever to clean out any fouling and unburned powder that's made its way in there. You probably won't find a whole lot of dirt in there. Follow that up with a cloth to wipe away anything left over by the brush. Then put a light coat of oil on everyting and put it back together. I generally avoid putting too much oil or grease inside the bolt because it can interfere with firing, especially in colder weather. Wipe the whole rifle down with an oiled cloth to leave a light protective coat on the exterior. After all that, you should be good to go.
If you're shooting corrosive ammo, you'll want to begin cleaning with either warm soapy water in the bore (messy) or ammonia soaked patches. Windex, generic windex, household ammonia, and Sweet's 7.62 bore cleaner all have worked fine for me. Run a patch or two through the bore and then use a cloth with a little ammonia on it to scrub the bolt (especially the face) and reciever down. Then just clean normally and check the rifle tomorrow for rust. If you find any rust it will clean right off - repeat the whole process over.
But I've never found any rust on any rifle the next day after cleaning that way.
Dylan Wachowicz

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jan, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

so basically like most modern rifles? I wasnt sure if there was anything special I had to do to clean it or not, thanks a ton
Christine Munro

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harold R. wrote:
With the bolt pulled completely to the rear, look down on the right side of the bolt and you'll see as small protrusion that rides in a track on the right side of the reciever. Snap the protrusion up to a vertical position and pull the bolt out to the rear.

I'm a bit late in the day with this, but it might be worth mentioning that some of them (at least the No. 4s I think) have a little push-down catch in the cut-out section where you turn the bolt head anti-clockwise in order to remove it: it needs to be pressed in before pulling the bolt all the way back. Probably familiar to experienced users, I just mention it as I've seen some people still confounded after following the bolt-removal instructions.

For cleaning, I was taught that one's thumbnail makes a handy reflector at the chamber end for inspecting the barrel for debris or other problems after using the pull-through. Which is, of course, something I'm confident everyone does after every session. Happy Worked for me, anyway.

I wonder how Etienne got on? It'd be interesting to find out if the rifle in question was deemed safe to shoot, or indeed fixed if not. And how it performed, for that matter.
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sorry for the no update period. unfortunately i didn't have the opportunity to shoot something i would love it tough...

Still trying to find a place safe far from the cities but for now i have too much in mind to shoot (with no job finding 80$ is tough i'll try to find a job tomorrow...) Laughing Out Loud
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:

When I was going through my military bolt action phase the only thing I found more unpleasant to shoot than the No.5 was the Russian Mosin Nagant M44 carbine, sweet fancy moses! I personally prefered the Mauser to the Enfield but found the Enfield to be an intruiging and interesting design. I also found the 1903 Springfield to be one of the most overrated rifles of all time, sort of like the current Dodge Charger to make a automotive comparison (I consider the P1917 to be a superior combat weapon). I used to have a whole gunsafe full of various military rifles, now only the M1 Garand and FAL remain. I wish I had some of them back, as with many other things.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Hugh Fuller wrote:

When I was going through my military bolt action phase the only thing I found more unpleasant to shoot than the No.5 was the Russian Mosin Nagant M44 carbine, sweet fancy moses! I personally prefered the Mauser to the Enfield but found the Enfield to be an intruiging and interesting design. I also found the 1903 Springfield to be one of the most overrated rifles of all time, sort of like the current Dodge Charger to make a automotive comparison (I consider the P1917 to be a superior combat weapon). I used to have a whole gunsafe full of various military rifles, now only the M1 Garand and FAL remain. I wish I had some of them back, as with many other things.

This little monster probably has a lot of recoil also. Wink Razz

Spanish mauser FR 8:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/spanishfr8/index.asp

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Hal Siegel
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thought y'all might appreciate this -

It's the current standard configuration of one of the sword racks in my bedroom - on the end is my 1921 "Ishy-Smelly" Happy

Hal Siegel - TherionArms
http://www.therionarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/TherionArms
Ted Parolari

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

This little monster probably has a lot of recoil also. Wink Razz

Spanish mauser FR 8:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/spanishfr8/index.asp

Actually the FR-8 doesn't have that bad a recoil. I was pleasantly surprised! I love shooting the Enfield. I currently own an Isaphore 2A, which is the Indian Version of the No.1 MkIII in 7.62x51 NATO.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > short magazine lee enfield mkIII
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: