Old MRL Viking Sword
I am looking for any information I can find about a Windlass Steelcrafts sword that used to be offered by Museum Replicas Limited. I have a few strikes against me though. The sword was a Viking sword with a Damascus blade and I want to say that MRL had given it the name of "Atterangi?" or something pretty similar (strike one) and they offered it about 10 years ago (strike two). This may be a long shot but I'm rollin the dice to see if anyone remembers it. It's just a show piece but I thought it was beautiful at the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have moved this topic to the Historic Arms Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods"

Thank you.
I think I recall that....Didn't it have a camel bone grip or something like that? I think you are close on the name.
Re: Old MRL Viking Sword
I own one. That info is all correct though I think it would be somewhat less than 10 years ago. Hilt is also gold plated. What kind of info are you looking for?

Matthew Cooper wrote:
I am looking for any information I can find about a Windlass Steelcrafts sword that used to be offered by Museum Replicas Limited. I have a few strikes against me though. The sword was a Viking sword with a Damascus blade and I want to say that MRL had given it the name of "Atterangi?" or something pretty similar (strike one) and they offered it about 10 years ago (strike two). This may be a long shot but I'm rollin the dice to see if anyone remembers it. It's just a show piece but I thought it was beautiful at the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Aettartangi. I suspect that's Aet-tar-tan-gi.

I have a copy of the catalog right here.

Seems it means "sword of the generations" and a legendary one was used by Grettir the Strong, and ended up in the possession of his brother Atli. That's not one of the Saga's I've read.

512 layer blade, Gold plated gaurd and cross. Hilt was bone with copper rings.Original asking price of $475.
George Hill wrote:
Aettartangi. I suspect that's Aet-tar-tan-gi.

That name rings a bell. Jim, any way you could post pictures of yours?
I'll try to take some better pics, but here is one I have. It is of course the sword in the middle.

Attachment: 30.36 KB
niceswordhilts.jpg

Old MRL Viking Sword
Thank you Chad, sorry about that.

...and thank you Jim, George and Ed for your quick responses. I was trying to find the actual name of the sword itself so I could search for it on the internet and maybe find one available. I've described the sword to my wife in an attempt to woo her into believing that I need one. Once the hard part is taken care of, I'd attempt to find one available (believe me, this would be the easy part LOL).

Thank you again for your help and wish me luck!
wow jim great pic. what are the other 2 swords in teh picture?
It looks to be based on the same sword as Albion's Clontarf.
Both are old MRL swords with Del Tin blades. One on the left was called Ragnar's Sword. I think the one on the right was just called Norwegian Viking Sword. I'd have to look that one up to be certain.

Chuck Russell wrote:
wow jim great pic. what are the other 2 swords in teh picture?
Indeed it is that same hilt style. According to Oakeshott there are 5 similar original swords that have been found. One is on the cover of Swords Of The Viking Age. I think he has 2 of these swords in the book.

Joe Yurgil wrote:
It looks to be based on the same sword as Albion's Clontarf.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: