The Atrim 1506 and Liechtenauer.
http://angustrimdirect.com/models/swede/swede.htm

I'm considering this sword. I got to handle one, and it's wonderful.

But I'm also a liechtenauer student, and I'm 5'8".

Is a 48 inch sword too long for winding by a 5'8" swordsman? (Not that I actually expect to ever wind with a sharp, but there's a principle here.)

I know we didn't get any sword-to-man ratios from Liechtenauer, but I'd like the opinions of his modern students.

Also, what were the "average" blade lengths used back in the heyday of the Liechtenauer system?

Last edited by George Hill on Wed 10 Oct, 2007 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
I have moved this topic to the Historic Arms Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods"

Thank you.
Hi George,

You should be fine with that lade length. I'm only an inch taller than you and I use a variety of swords from 35" to 38" (blade length). As that sword is 36", it should work well for you.
Hi George,
What Michael said. You should be fine.

Here's the thing: The only measurements Liechtenauer ever gave are that the sword needs to be large enough to be used in two hands, but light enough that it could be used in one hand. And why was he so vague? Most likely because after that, it doesn't matter.

You're asking about winding. Winding can be done with all three wounders: The strike, the thrust, or the slice. Because of this, the length of the sword doesn't matter so much. You do what the distance dictates. If you're further away, you thrust, if you're a little closer, you strike, etc. It isn't until you start getting into extreme lengths that you should worry about the size of the sword.
Which wounder winds worst?

I have to ask.

GC
Thanks all. I also note the A&A Fechterspiel is of compartive size.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/train204.html

My worries are laid at ease. If that sale mentioned in the other thread comes up, I shall order the sword. Or even if it doesn't....
George Hill wrote:
Thanks all. I also note the A&A Fechterspiel is of compartive size.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/train204.html

My worries are laid at ease. If that sale mentioned in the other thread comes up, I shall order the sword. Or even if it doesn't....

Hi George

I'm going to do it, but need the time to organize things before I post or ask questions on the manufacturer's forum......
Angus Trim wrote:
I'm going to do it, but need the time to organize things before I post or ask questions on the manufacturer's forum......

Excellent. I've been following this and wondering how I could go about placing an order.
Be looking forward to seeing the info posted up...
I detect a new sword in my immediate future, and this one looks very nice!
Angus Trim wrote:

Hi George

Hello Angus.

The longer it takes, the more money I'll have saved. What is your generalized guess on timeframe?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: