Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Crecy Mk II question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Albion Crecy Mk II question         Reply with quote

For an Albion spokesperson
Apologies if I've missed this somewhere, but what is the difference in hilt construction betweeen the new version of the Crecy and a Next Gen sword? The reference to threading appears to have gone, and the cross and pommel are described as hammered into place, so it sounds similar to the next gen construction. Nice pictures by the way!
thanks
Geoff
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure how often the Albion folks visit this board... so you will want to email them with your question. Mike is really good about getting back to people. Lord knows I've asked him a LOT of questions lately and have yet to let up Wink

My theory is that the Mark 2 Crecy is as close to a Next Gen Crecy as we'll get. I did not see mention of a Crecy on the Next Gen page, so they're probably not officially making them a part of that line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Albion Crecy Mk II question         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
For an Albion spokesperson
Apologies if I've missed this somewhere, but what is the difference in hilt construction betweeen the new version of the Crecy and a Next Gen sword? The reference to threading appears to have gone, and the cross and pommel are described as hammered into place, so it sounds similar to the next gen construction. Nice pictures by the way!
thanks
Geoff

Timothy
I'm not sure how often the Albion folks visit this board... so you will want to email them with your question. Mike is really good about getting back to people. Lord knows I've asked him a LOT of questions lately and have yet to let up

My theory is that the Mark 2 Crecy is as close to a Next Gen Crecy as we'll get. I did not see mention of a Crecy on the Next Gen page, so they're probably not officially making them a part of that line.

Hi Guys!

You are both right -- we are gradually changing/tweaking all of the FirstGen Albion Mark swords to a traditional construction method and to upgraded/refined hilt components. At this point, virtually all FirstGen Medievals and Vikings have been switched to traditional construction and we are just waiting for new hilt components to be finished on the rest. No major changes, but just some tweaks.

Best,

Howy
Albion

Attachment: 24.28 KB
crecy2f.jpg

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr Waddell
Thanks for responding so promptly. I like the look of the new hilt. Is it changes there that account for the slight weight increase, or has the blade been tweaked also?
Geoff
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Mr Waddell
Thanks for responding so promptly. I like the look of the new hilt. Is it changes there that account for the slight weight increase, or has the blade been tweaked also?
Geoff

Hey Geoff!

The blade has been tweaked (Jason and Steve get the credit for that -- some very subtle changes), but the change in weight is from the pommel.

It is a couple of ounces more substantial than the Mark I pommel (and more accurate in dimensions and shape, from an original wax carved by Eric and with Peter's input) -- both the volume of the pommel and the redesign are a direct result of Eric's visit with Peter last summer, browsing museum backrooms.

The Mark I was a great sword (no pun intended -- ok, maybe a little one) but now we feel like Mark II is just a little bit better.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Kool         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

Hey Geoff!

The blade has been tweaked (Jason and Steve get the credit for that -- some very subtle changes), but the change in weight is from the pommel.

It is a couple of ounces more substantial than the Mark I pommel (and more accurate in dimensions and shape, from an original wax carved by Eric and with Peter's input) -- both the volume of the pommel and the redesign are a direct result of Eric's visit with Peter last summer, browsing museum backrooms.

Hi Howy,

I'm guessing the beefier pommel is the reason for the 2" shift in CoG?

I positively love the new light brown grip- I've always had a preference for the "down & dirty" look. Cool

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like this re-do.

The old Crecy was just not quite there for me...this one is difinitely a hit...at least to me. The color option is great too. Will it also be a scabbard option?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Kool         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:

Hey Geoff!

Hi Howy,

I'm guessing the beefier pommel is the reason for the 2" shift in CoG?

I positively love the new light brown grip- I've always had a preference for the "down & dirty" look. Cool

The change in the center of gravity is due to a couple of factors -- the change in the pommel, the blade and a slight shortening of the grip length (bringing it more within historical norms for this type of sword.)

The light brown grip is now one of my favorutes as well -- really gives the look of a sword that has seen some serious use.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will the Riding Sword be tweaked as well?
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Zamoida wrote:
Will the Riding Sword be tweaked as well?

Not as far as I know -- since it is a limited number (and we are almost out of them), and it works well as it is.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my question is, will we still be able to purchase the old crecy?
While the new ne is nice, something about the old one appeals to me more then the new one.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great news Happy

I think Christian Fletcher was basing his Huntsman off a Crecy blade. Is he using the old Crecy or the new Crecy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

it looks like he is using the old one, i could be wrong though

anyone have any idea what exactly the changes to the crecy are?

Jeremy Scott Steimel

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard had mentioned some very slight modifications to the overall blade design / geometry, and they must be extremely slight indeed as with just looking at the pictures of the new (without the old to compare to), nothing jumps out too much.

The handle was shortened a couple inches, which I like, and there's the new handle wrap color, which I think looks absolutely gorgeous.

However, to be honest, the one thing that jumps out at me is the change in guard design -- the new guard appears to be four sided with ever so slightly angled / rounded edges, where as the old guard was more distinctly octagonal, which I always highly enjoyed the looks of.

Still an absolutely beautiful war sword, to be sure!

Dum spiro, spero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually the handle was only shortened by a half an inch or so. The pommel is larger (heavier) and the cross is stouter than the original. All of the changes were designed to bring the overall design closer to historical parameters and to improve its handling characteristics.
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy Scott Steimel wrote:
Howard had mentioned some very slight modifications to the overall blade design / geometry, and they must be extremely slight indeed as with just looking at the pictures of the new (without the old to compare to), nothing jumps out too much.

The handle was shortened a couple inches, which I like, and there's the new handle wrap color, which I think looks absolutely gorgeous.

However, to be honest, the one thing that jumps out at me is the change in guard design -- the new guard appears to be four sided with ever so slightly angled / rounded edges, where as the old guard was more distinctly octagonal, which I always highly enjoyed the looks of.

In addition to what Harlan has mentioned, the guard was shortened one inch for asthetic reasons (would have been overpowering with the 1/2" taken off the grip), and the lift on the fuller was lengthened (again for asthetic, and historical reasons).

The fuller change was the only change that was made to the blade. This was done some time ago, so all the Crecy blades that Christian has ever gotten from us reflect this.

Jason Dingledine
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy Scott Steimel wrote:

Hey Jeremy!

The guard is still octagonal -- it may be that it just doesn't come across in the photos we have up on the site (those are just quick and dirty photos-- we'll put some better ones up soon.) The corners are beveled the same as before (if not a little more so)

Here are a couple more photos from that quick shoot that show the guard and the fuller lift Jason referred to.

Thanks for the kind words!

Best,

Howy

Attachment: 26.07 KB
crecy2g.jpg

Attachment: 23.17 KB
crecy2h.jpg

Attachment: 22.13 KB
crecy2i.jpg

Albion Swords Ltd
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey all.
My friend and i were looking at the new crey's grip.
from the photos it looks like the grip was reshaped a bit from the first crecy, in addition to being shortened the inch or so.
thanks in advance for input.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Crecy Mk II question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic