This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

George Cameron Stone
A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor ... In All Countries and in All Times ... Together with Some Closely Related Subjects
(my vote for most impressive title)
Originally published in 1934.
This copy is the 1961 reprint. Hardback book in very good condition. Dust Jacket covered in plastic, but acquired some minor soiling before the plastic cover came along.

694 pages and over 800 illustrations (most b/w photos, some line drawings).

The Glossary has gone through many reprints since 1934 (1961, c.1978, c.1991, and more ... even in paperback)

To the best of my knowledge, the successive reprints do not delete any text or illustrations, but the page size and quality of the photos has continually diminished.

This 1961 reprint is 8 1/2 x 11 inches and about 2 inches thick (so if you have a later reprint you can at least compare size).

Most of the illustrations of European arms were provided by the Metropolitan Museum of NY. Most of the Islamic, South Asian, Oceanic, African, Chinese, and Japanese illustrations are based on Stone's private collection. Since Stone later bequested is collection to the Met, this book is almost like a Met catalogue for c.1934.

Aside: Here's one neat tidbit you can find in Stone (perhaps elsewhere, but it was first drawn to my attention in Stone). Folks have speculated that the "kulak" appearance of the mail hauberks in the Bauyeux Tapestry is due to the fact that the hems of the hauberk were laced around the thigh so that the hauberk would not "ride" back on the thigh when the warrior was mounted. 18th Century Mail and Plate composite armours from India illustrated in Stone show leather ties descending from the long mail skirt of these armours... just like we might speculate the Normans used.

Anyway, I'm asking $70 (including shipping/packing/insurance). You may find a lower price elsewhere, but they may not have added in their "extra postage" for the heavy book in the list price.

Thanks!

- David