Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Manville RI Settlers Day September 22nd 23rd Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Manville RI Settlers Day September 22nd 23rd         Reply with quote

Settlers Day at the Manville Sportsman Club

This has become a yearly meet and greet. Barring unforseen circurmstances, Todd Pelletier and me will be there on September 22nd and 23rd with at least a couple of tables of swords. We don't often see other forumites there but this is a public event and an open invitation.

The club information, with a map and event information are here
http://www.manvillesportsmensrodandgunclub.org/
Last year saw quite a surge of general local attendance. There are usually multiple activities that include the boom range and demonstrations. For an extreme instance, the .50 Barrett is five $1 tickets per shot. General admittance is free. there is some food, water and shelter (no rain this year;)).

We welcome folk bringing more swords. Dennis Boas came by with his lovely Cashen collection a couple of years ago. if you are interested in bringing multiple pieces, let us know here or through PM. This will let us notify those directing traffic, so you can drive them right in to the site. There are shuttles from the general parking into the event.

There have always been mats to cut, numbers and type have varied. Supply is unknown as yet for this year. Letting others cut can be sketchy but there will likely be targets, one way or another. We try to be responsible about it. Additional BYO targets and improvisation welcomed (nothing living should be thought acceptable).

I usually bring all the swords I've got and some of my knives. We ended up with four tables two years ago but managed with two last year. If we know you are coming with lots of stuff, we can plan accordingly. It is possible we will have more than a couple of antiques there.

We look forward to possible interest in this and the scope of what's up will be updated over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Hotspur; it seems a long time away but time flies
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll be there for sure on Sunday! Can't wait to meet you, Glen.

Jonathan
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the interest Jonanthan. Not only will you be contributing with what you bring to the tables but we will be able to bolster your ultimate demise to the dark side of shiny, new reproductions;)

I look forward to meeting you as well.

Another has spoken up as likely being there on Saturday with some (something like a dozen) 18th and 18th century examples as well.

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A last nudge up the flagpole for this and confirming what long range weather forecasts had indicated. Both days are looking to be sunny and 70ish degrees. It is still prior to peak foliage cruising weather but looks to be a nice opening to the fall season here.

I'm still expecting a table's worth of 18th and 19th century antiques on both days and there has been a hint of some Japanese items as well but I am unclear on the scope of display of those.

Cheers

GC
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was able to participate for Sunday's portion of the event. I was a blast! It is not often that I get to sit around and talk about swords for 7-8 hours with fellow enthusiasts. It was a pleasure to finally meet Glen face-to-face. My experience is quite limited when it comes to replicas of medieval swords, but Glen's and Todd's collections sorted me out. I made my first, awkward attempt at cutting (a delicious, if belligerent, zucchini), and enjoyed handling everything from Hanwei to ATrim and A&A. I also enjoyed sharing my collection of 18th and 19th century antiques with Glenn and Todd, and the general public as well. I think we all had fun and learned a thing or two. I am looking forward to next year and will try to be there for both days. I will attach a few pics of our tables-o-swords.

Jonathan

Attachment: 80.73 KB
settlers1.2.JPG

Attachment: 78 KB
settlers2.2.JPG

Attachment: 80.04 KB
settlers3.2.JPG

Attachment: 79.35 KB
settlers4.2.JPG

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your time and participation Jonathan. I know that was quite a drive for you. Having you and Dmitry on alternate days was a boon both to the event overall and it is great to meet up with forumites. Dmitry is very excited to return next year and it really seems we will need more tables. Three is hardly enough for the swords and the books need one of their own. Thanks again for giving me a peek into some books that I really need on my shelves.

Them stripy blankets make it tricky to get a good perspective. Here are a couple that highlight some of Jonathan's pretties.

This one is pretty big, an overview.
http://usera.imagecave.com/Hotspur/SFI/Manville2007014.jpg

Another, from a tourist perspective
http://usera.imagecave.com/Hotspur/SFI/Manville2007011-copy.jpg

Good stuff

Cheers

GC
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You folks had a very impressive display. I wish that I could have been there to meet you!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One more shot to add to this

I think we will definitely need table four next year, or arrange a different display system. Here is the best shot I managed of what Dmitry had brought on Saturday. I'd be lying if I could say I can explain them all but working roughly audience left to right are a wonderfully light beak pommel hanger, an 1830s French naval cutlass, an unmarked 1860 cavalry sabre. The burly hanger with the sawteeth is 1827 Russian. It has unbelievably sharp and crosscut sawteeth. Continuing is an odd last ditch Japanese WWII katana. What seemes to be a Mauser bayonet type and far right an 1860 U.S. Cutlass. In the foreground right are an India production College Hill Arsenal reproduction and the Windlass M1913 Patton. I may be missing something and the order may be off.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Hotspur/SFI/Dmitry.jpg

Dmitry and his young daughter (Liza?) seemed to have a great time and spent most of their visit enjoying some of the other activities.

I do hope weather co-operates for these things. It is always a fifty/fifty shot and some days have been a little damp at times.

I really do need to take more pictures at these events. At one point we had a participant from the cowboy action crowd ( also a Kendoka) doing some kata with an ATrim 1319. He was loving it and would have made a fun picture.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Manville RI Settlers Day September 22nd 23rd
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic