Deepeeka?
Anyone ever had any experience with Deepeeka and their products? http://www.deepeeka.co.in/index.html

I'm looking for some inexpensive but not cheap looking swords for costuming and ran across their site. There is a seller of their stuff on Ebay and his prices are reasonable but I can't find any reviews of their products. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Deepeeka is an interesting conundrum. Their celtic and Roman stuff seems to be better researched and designed than the rest of the offerings, though they're far from perfect. Most (if not all) of their medieval stuff is not held in high regard in terms of accuracy, handling, or durability.
There are some area in which Deepeeka shines -- they make the largest and most complete line of Roman-era arms, armor, and other kit available on the market, and they work very closely with Reenactors and "living historians" in order to improve the accuracy of their wares. In fact, they're the most accurate Roman-style weapons available on the "budget" market. If you're into Roman reenactment (primarily 1st century AD, but Deepeeka is pursuing projects in the Republican era as well as the Later Empire) and have a budget, Deepeeka is something of a godsend.

However.

(don't you just hate those delayed "howevers"?)

The quality of their swords has been extremely spotty over time. The rule was that there would always be something wrong with a Deepeeka sword -- poorly assembled hilts that came loose readily, poor fit and finish, swords that were grossly overweight and/or poorly balanced, questionable and/or inconsistent heat treatments. Nothing I have seen lately has dissuaded me from the opinion that their swords haven't improved much. Even the otherwise accurate Roman swords are still questionable, in terms of overall quality. Here's a specific example, the so-called "Trojan" sword, an otherwise pretty accurate replica of a Classical Ancient Greek Hoplite "Xiphos". The most major problem is the weight; for such a short sword, it is quite obese.

The general rule is that there are far better swords available, and some are not much more expensive. Deepeeka's Roman swords are fine for the reenactor or for display, so long as you avoid any "blade on blade" contact or cutting.

Now, Deepeeka's armor is said to be pretty good..... not that I have much experience with such things.... fwiw, ymmv....
Re: Deepeeka?
Jeff Schaber wrote:
Anyone ever had any experience with Deepeeka and their products? http://www.deepeeka.co.in/index.html

I'm looking for some inexpensive but not cheap looking swords for costuming and ran across their site. There is a seller of their stuff on Ebay and his prices are reasonable but I can't find any reviews of their products. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

For what you are after their swords will be fine. I have handled many of them, but have yet to see one that could be used for anything other than costume wear or display. They always tend to be blade heavy and much too heavy over all. However, they offer a wide variety of blades, some of which are unavailable any where else. If you are not looking for a sword to use in combat, then you will find their products adequate and some are quite attractive. They are also well-priced.
I would say their medieval stuff isn't perfect but not bad for the price. I've had a couple of their bascinets, a burgonet, spurs, gauntlets, greaves etc. It was all reasonably well done. I like their arrowheads. The spurs are decent for costume use and the armour was solidly made. I haven't handled any of their swords so I can't comment on those.
roman swords are becomeing really good. they have switched to full tang now i believe. now the other stuff leaves somewhat to be desired by the collector. but if you are going to revamp swords etc then they are not a bad place to start and learn. if you screw one up your out what, 100+ bucks. not like if you screw up a del tin and are out 300.
The Deepeeka katar is actually quite sturdy. I wouldn't hesitate to drop the few bucks required on one of their "ancient" or "ethnographic" pieces. The Roman weapons (and armor) are looking better and better, and I lust after their "khopesh" and horsehead falcata to test . . . . .
I think their craftsmen are quite capable, they just (so far) lack the knowledge base to make really good Western pieces . . . . .
Not to get too far off topic but how about their Maille? Is it historically correct? I'm particullarly interested in a hauberk with attached hood and the face piece that covers the lower portion of the face. I do not have any experience with any of their weapons but they do appear, in my opinion, to be good wall hangers and ren faire products. :)
i would love to know too. but i dont know anyone that actually has any of the new mail. i have a friend in europe that is getting 5 shirts soon of roman stuff. i will report when i hear from him
I just purchased a Deepeeka French sword that I will be using for my pirate re-enactment group. I've been a fencer for about 12 years now, so I'd be happy to let you all in on how that sword is once I get it. I bought it because it looked like Captain Barbossa's sword in the PotC movies. I just like the way the hilt and basket flowed together. I figure if I really love the hilt and not the sword, I can always have a custom one made :cool:

BTW great forums!

Pat

Attachment: 50.15 KB
ah3249.jpg

Chad Arnow wrote:
Deepeeka is an interesting conundrum. Their celtic and Roman stuff seems to be better researched and designed than the rest of the offerings, though they're far from perfect. Most (if not all) of their medieval stuff is not held in high regard in terms of accuracy, handling, or durability.
I don't know about the roman stuff, but the "celtic" swords (most is bronze age, not celtic) are way way off. These (and various other bronze ship anchors) are basically what set Neil Burridge off to make his line of accurate bronze sword reproductions. I'd regard the Deepeeka ones as nothing else then enlarged letter openers, not actual swords.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
These (and various other bronze ship anchors) are basically what set Neil Burridge off to make his line of accurate bronze sword reproductions.

ZOIKS! I had no idea. I guess we owe Deepeeka a huge debt of gratitude, then!

As David said, the only reason their Roman stuff is even close is because a series of very determined and knowledgeable reenactors gave them a ton of guidance and information. Mind you, Deepeeka has been very receptive and cooperative, actively seeking feedback on everything, so you have to give them credit for trying. They could ignore us all without any real dent in their profit margin!

Matthew

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: