Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > in armor. Hoisting onto a horse? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a discussion of height found in This Separate Topic that has some links elsewhere. Let's keep this topic on-topic and move the discussion of average heights to its own venue.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Hedgecock wrote:
When i get the questions, I usually ask them "How much good would a knight be on the battle field if his armour was so heavy and immobilizing that he had to be hoisted onto his horse?" That usually sends them off to ponder the theory.

I think thats just the point, we aren't supposed to think (I certainly was not taught to think) that the knights were any good at fighting particularly. Violent and brutish sure, but utterly backward and inept. All of Europe would be Chinese in fact if The Mongols (tm) hadn't turned around of their own accord in the 13th century. 99% of the population were illiterate serfs, everyone had the plague and had muck all over them and twigs in their long unkempt hair, and went lumbering about bashing each other with 30 pound swords, in between cat-and-witch-burnings and inqusitions.

I think that is the myth we are still painstakingly debunking, films like Pathfinder don't help much either...

I think the winching the knight into the horse thing came from Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court didn't it?

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: hoisting up         Reply with quote

Bear Fullerton wrote:
I've been to many sites and castles who still have the originally equipment for it and it is not only well documented in old manuscripts but in also carvings and wood block prints and such of the proceders beig done. there was a type of armour used in the first jousting events that was designed to be super heavy and that had everything bolted on, even the helmet that did require a person to be hoisted up on the horse. this is true. it was mainly before craftsmen had the ability to make metal a lot thinner and stronger or having the understanding of fluting, which later allowed fo rlighter and better fitting armour that wa stronger. It only was used for a certain period of time and the armour did weigh inat an average of 200 pounds on the wearer. plus, the average size for a european oin those days was 5 feet and the chargers they used then were sometimes up to 18 hands in height and weighted in at easily 1500 pounds.

Bear,
I fear you may have a hard time backing some of these statements up. Melee tournaments and tilting go back to the late age of mail/Crusade era. The fluting you talked about came about in the mid-15th century or so. So we're talking a period of 200-250 years, give or take, where armour could have weighed "an average of 200 pounds" in your words.

The earliest tournies would have seen hauberks, helms, and maybe mail chausses as popular/common armour choices. The combination of those items would not have added up to 200 pounds, even if you factor in a rudimentary breastplate, which may not have been common then. As we go forward toward the introduction of fluting, great helms get bigger and thicker, but still most of them seemed to weigh 10 pounds or less (usually 6 or 7 pounds), except for a few examples that weighed 11 or 12 pounds. The heaviest great helm I know of belonged to Charles V; it post dates the fluted armour you claim was so much lighter than preceding armour. That helm weighs a little less than 20 pounds. The rest of the harness (even if we included the barding) wouldn't be 180 pounds or so.

As we get later in the 14th century, more plate is added of course. We know the weight of a number of surviving pieces. If we add up the weight of bascinet, great helm, cuirass/coat of plates, vambraces, leg harness, we still wouldn't get to 200 lbs with any frequency, if at all. Even early 15th century complete "all-whyte" harnesses would not have weighed that much.

I have not read any archeological papers (by people using current research) that show armour pieces whose combination in a typical harness (even a reinforced jousting harness of the late 15th and 16th centuries) would have weighed that much.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For more on armour weight, please see this Spotlight Topic.
Happy

ChadA

Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rather than quote Bear's entire post, please refer to his first on page one.

I'm sorry, Bear, and no offense intended, but your info -requires- some substantiating references or other hard details to be taken seriously. As you've presented it, one cannot in the least take what you've said as factual, and in fact I initially thought it was some sort of awkward joke.

What Bear mentions contains nearly all the fallacies and misconceptions re. arms, armour, European martial arts & sports, and jousting and tournaments, all wrapped up in one.

As presented and given the current state of research, both academic and practical, I think most informed students and practitioners of European martial arts and reproduction armouring will find Bear's theories ridiculous at best. These appear to be all misconceptions and delusional theories promoted by many a Victorian armchair enthusiast, which the last 10 or more years of practical experimentation, exhaustive research and closely scrutinized study of surviving artifacts has attempted to dispel as complete and utter nonsense, though sadly unsuccessfully it seems.

(Not to blow my own horn, but for Bear's benefit and those who are unfamiliar with me or my work, I've been armouring professionally for 20 years, jousted internationally for 5, and count a couple of museum curators as friends.)

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock
Historic Enterprises, Inc.
WorldJoust Tournaments™
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To chime in to add to the list of those who have read a whole lot about historic jousting and also as one who has taken time to examine real armour while in Europe, I must say that as presented Bear's claims hold no water academically and have been shot down by the finest of modern historians. Immediately after I read his posts one word came to mind, to describe both his mindset and that of his "tutors."

Victorian.

Any convincing that needs to be done in this argument needs to come from him, not the rest of this collective body of scholars. The stance presented in the previous posts is now regarded academically as sound and about as convincing as it has been since the Victorian rubbish of the 18th and 19th centuries.

-Gregory-

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Robert Fullerton

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I tell you, it is nice to see so many knowledgable people out there on the acount of amour. The things I spoke of are things that I have seen first hand during my times in europe and trianing. I spent many years under the tutelage of various masters who had manucripts, books and techniques handed down to them thru generations and in them they show the heavy armour and also the devices for hoisting. I also have first hand seen authenitic items insome castles and museums and also seen authentic scripts and books in museums about it all also. I spent 20 years myself as a craftsman in the area of weapions and armour and 10 years of live-steel historical re-enactment in Europe also. Yet, I do respect your words and your credentials are impressive and congragualate you in keeping the old ways alive and well today. It's just that everyday there is almost a new discovery on things from the past. Just becasue someone doesnt' have the info at hand right away doesnt mean it's any less true or accurate than other information. We still today can not even begin to figure out how some things were done long ago. The longbow wasn't as detrimental in that one battle against the french, bronze plate armour from the bronze age can withstant armour piercing arows of the midieval ages, Damasacus with wootz metal isnt the same as damascus used today, chainmaile defended itself better against arrows than thought, etc... all thought different before later learning different. And all that just recently. It's just that i have learned and seen it first hand and worked aming it, so instead of worring about if i can find documentation somwhere (and i will when i can so that all can see it and we can expand further on this wonderful and indepth topic) how about we delve on how it could have been and why? what have we missed or do not know yet that we havent figures out yet or that still mystifies us. that is what is so fascinating about history and the ancients. their ability to do things that today would seem impossible.. i just was recently looking at some really amzing works on machines from the past that are still not understood nor could be copied or figured out today. tomorrow a dig can unearth a whole set of armour and hoist,,, or a french UFO.. lol.. who knows, but i would more like to delve on why they might have used hoists, and the methods for it... what lessons learned and where it might have gone, becasue since i have seen the evidence from authenitcated items, there must be some reason that it was such a way.. albeit it was a rarely done one and only lasted for a short while, which might be given the rise to think that it wasn't actually done.
Robert "Bear" Fullerton
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You have yet to say anything of substance. Your providing evidence through things "handed down through generations" is the most faulty part of the argument, considering that means you must have some links to Victorian study of arms and armour, which today is totally out-of-date and not considered academically useful in most cases.

We don't care what you said you've seen. No one's going to believe you until you can get your act together and show something for it. New discoveries are being made every day by people who take time to do their studying carefully and present it in formats that make it presentable to the academic world. They are not made by old-fashioned tutors who have backwards 19th century opinions of history. Those people are working with old, dusted and already useless "discoveries." You've given no reason for us to believe that there is any new discovery being made here nor that you're being logical at all in your presentation of your argument.

You've displayed a lack of concern for the historic evolution of jousting. This does not help you to present such an argument about the subject, especially one that has seemingly been refuted in the past by the academic community almost unanimously. For the sake of continuing the conversation in a decent fashion, I, as others have, request that you post real evidence for your argument or simply don't argue it further.

-Gregory-

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things

Last edited by Gregory J. Liebau on Wed 19 Sep, 2007 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, Mr. Fullerton, many of your first-hand observations are quite opposite of those in the academic world, authors of these subjects, current museum curators, modern researchers, skilled armourers working today, etc. Many of these same people participate on this very site and have quite different first-hand experiences and accounts. Further, as mentioned above, there is quite a lot of direct evidence to contradict such things.

Because your observations are unique, I'd like to ask that you tell us who these masters are that you worked with. I'd like to have some sort of documentation or citing provided that supports these claims. I'd very much like to see one of these 200-pound armours or armouring hoists documented. Do these things exist in any known museum? Are they published? Where can I find them?

You mentioned seeing such items in castles and museums. Which ones? Surely these organizations must have some of their inventory published. I may have such published worked and would be happy to pull them out and look for you.

Thank you for your assistance.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Robert Fullerton

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most certainly Nathan and i will be pleased to track all of it down to be submitted to everyone. I am currently moving form one end of hte country to another and all is in storage and also I will ave to go back overseas to the places I have found them but I will do so.. and i shall send them to you once i have them all at hand so you can check thru them. thanks for being part of this and your help.
Robert "Bear" Fullerton
Derek Wassom

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can you please give us the names of the Masters you worked under?
Regards,
Derek Wassom
Luegisland Scholar
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bear Fullerton wrote:
...how about we delve on how it could have been and why? ...since i have seen the evidence from authenitcated items, there must be some reason that it was such a way

Hello Mr. Fullerton,

I think these two quotes of yours get to the crux of the current discussion.

Speculation, in the case of "how it could have been and why," is fair and interesting as an exercise. Physical tests of modern recreations, for example, don't necessarily prove how anything was in the past, but can at least reveal new avenues of possibility. This would probably warrant its own topic in the off-topic forum.

The primary stated goal of myArmoury is to be an academic site, which means exploring what verifiable historical evidence has to teach us. It seems that based on available museum pieces and period documents, many respectable sources - people who try not to make assumptions, but do careful research and let the results speak for themselves - have come to a consensus on certain points regarding historical armour. I doubt therefore that anecdotes are going to change anyone's mind soon. If you do however obtain any photos, documents, or other sources to back up your position, I'm sure that many would be very interested and willing to discuss their import reasonably and fairly. These are the rules that myArmoury, as a deliberately academic site, aspires to work by.

Given the above I don't believe it's necessary for anyone to get too worked up about the topic. This is a hobby. It's great and it's supposed to be fun, so let's keep it that way. Happy

Cheers,
Gabriel L.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Stephen Hand

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: sure thing         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:

I take that the masters you studied under were masters of classical fensing, which means they know little or nothing about the arts and armor discussed on this forum.

Quite apart from the fact that the man was obviously talking about armourers, not fencing masters, is it really necessary to once again air your prejudices against anyone with traditional fencing training? In any case, your argument is based on the logical fallacy that if I know something about A then I can't possibly know anything about B. This is clearly an absurd proposition and one which even a cursory look at people like Ramon Martinez and Sean Hayes would lay to rest. They are classically trained fencing masters who DO know a great deal about earlier sword arts.

Honestly, the idea that being trained in fencing would somehow preclude knowledge or expertise in historical swordsmanship is simply laughable. If I were trained in wrestling or judo, would that prevent me from learning medieval wrestling? Of course not. Quite the opposite I would have thought.

Stephen Hand
Editor, Spada, Spada II
Author of English Swordsmanship, Medieval Sword and Shield

Stoccata School of Defence
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, how about that, Master Hand and I agree on something. I have never seen any reference in 'classical' fencing to people being hoisted on horses... if you have seen such a treatise, Mr Pleasant, please indicate which school and even language group to which you refer. Masters , or bona fide maitres d'armes are few and far between, and those I have known are serious students of the art...I don't see why they would be perceived as encouraging the idea that armored combatants were hoisted on horses with winches as neither the lifting apparatus, nor the horse, is of any interest whatsoever to a properly trained master of fence. Maybe you have met people who claim to be masters of fencing in the same breath as they claim to have studied the aforementionned lifting apparatus, and other marvels as yet unrevealed to mere mortals... I know, this is snide and argumentative, but please , those of us who enjoy all types of fencing, including historical research, do not see why modern fencing needs to be so belittled. It's a great sport and serious practitioners are serious people, though they may not all be historians.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
I know, this is snide and argumentative, but please , those of us who enjoy all types of fencing, including historical research, do not see why modern fencing needs to be so belittled

You are correct: it is snide and argumentative and has no place here.

While I can appreciate the points you and Stephen are trying to make, I must ask that it not be done so confrontationally. Debate without rancor, malice, or the airing of old grievances.

People are always welcome to disagree. However, we've been very clear from the start of this forum about how disagreements are to be handled: with civility.

Happy

ChadA

Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's fine. I plead guilty, but with an explanation. The comment referring to 'masters of classical fencing' in the same breath as ' which means they know little or nothing about ... ' could be viewed objectively as offensive to those of us who do engage in classical fencing, or have done so in the past. The moderators did not intervene at that time, leaving the door open to parade and riposte....This said, I will do my best not to take offense in the future when my friends and I are assumed to 'know little or nothing about...', and keep to mind how comforting it is to know that Mr Hand and I at least agree on something. I bear no malice nor rancor, nor do I know Mr Pleasant, but I do question why such an assumption of collective ignorance can be made without challenge when it is uncalled for and, need I repeat, offensive to those who dotake or have taken fencing seriously.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
That's fine. I plead guilty, but with an explanation. The comment referring to 'masters of classical fencing' in the same breath as ' which means they know little or nothing about ... ' could be viewed objectively as offensive to those of us who do engage in classical fencing, or have done so in the past. The moderators did not intervene at that time, leaving the door open to parade and riposte....This said, I will do my best not to take offense in the future when my friends and I are assumed to 'know little or nothing about...', and keep to mind how comforting it is to know that Mr Hand and I at least agree on something. I bear no malice nor rancor, nor do I know Mr Pleasant, but I do question why such an assumption of collective ignorance can be made without challenge when it is uncalled for and, need I repeat, offensive to those who dotake or have taken fencing seriously.

Jean-Carle,
If you want to discuss moderator's actions, do with directly with a moderator, per our rules. Since you've brought this up publicly, I'll respond. Any further discussion needs to be handled privately to not divert the thread any further.

Randall's statement was put forth as his opinion and was stated without apparent malice and without being directed at any one individual. While I disagree with his statement, there is nothing to comment on from a Moderator's perspective. I/we can't and won't intervene on every statement we disagree with on a personal level. Had he breached any of our rules, the post would have been dealt with.

We do have rules against posting offensive things, but my opinion is that Randall's intent was not to offend, just to state his opinion about some people's qualifications. Those who disagree are welcome (and encouraged) to debate the point without making it personal.

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

Stephen Hand

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Master Hand

Dear Jean-Carle,

I am not a fencing master

Stephen Hand
Editor, Spada, Spada II
Author of English Swordsmanship, Medieval Sword and Shield

Stoccata School of Defence
Frank Lochocki

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gentlemen: Back to the original topic regards cranes used to help men-at-arms mount. Tournement armour WAS and IS much hevier that war armour. Could this be a possible explaination? Has anyone ever seen period manuscript evidence of cranes being used? I would have to believe if cranes were ever used their would be some proof that has survived the centuries.
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean

I mis-read Robert Fullerton's post (speed reading at work) and thought he was referring to one or more masters of classical fencing as authorities on armour (he was not, my bad). Clearly a master of classical fencing know a lot....about classical fencing. However, armour is a subject outside of classical fencing. Thus, it simply raised a red flag with me when I thought (wrongly) that masters of classical fencing were being presented as authorities on armour without stating to what degree these people had actual conducted research on armour. If someone has actually preformed research then I have no problems giving them their dues. For example, I have a lot of respect for Master Sean Hays. At the 2006 WMAW event I attended his two classes on I.33 (Sword & Buckler). I strongly disagree with much of Sean's interpretations on I.33 but I do respect his interpretations because it is based on actually reading the material and picking up a sword. I respect Mr. Hays not only because his title was clearly earned but also because he does not project his title beyound what it was earned for.

Sorry for any confusion.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > in armor. Hoisting onto a horse?
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: