Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Antique tulwar ? date and origin ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Antique tulwar ? date and origin ?         Reply with quote

Dear All,
I have had this tulwar for a while and am looking for any info out there as to a possible date of manufacture and place of origin ( am aware it is India but which region). The total length is 37inches blade 321/2 inches width at hilt 11/2 inches narrowing to 11/4 inches then widening to 11/2 inches before going to a point, the engraving which is on both sides and on the back of the blade starts 2 inches from the hilt and runs for 20 inches until it stops at the begining of the false edge. The inscription on the blade I have been unable to decipher. The hilt, I believe, is glued and pinned to the blade which I think is quite unusual as it is normally glued only. The pin is topped with a silver head on both sides. The pommel has a place for a ring to hold a sword knot? The scabbard is wood covered is some sort of leather hide, it has an iron chape and two iron suspension rings which I believe places it earlier rather than later in tulwar chronology. The leather has shrunk away from the ironwork on the scabbard. It is extremely sharp. I look forward to your ideas and opinions. See photos.
Regards,
Norman.
Rick Zakur

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: tulwar         Reply with quote

Hi, I a new to this site and have a pair of similar Tulwar swords. Of all the other Tulwar swords I've seen, one of mine has a very different hilt. There is an empty socket on each side of the blade. Any idea what went in it? Neither of them is in good condition. Twice they have been sharpened by children and I literally mean children. Sad but true. Any help would be appreciated. I don't yet have any pictures but soon. Thanks, Rick
Nicholas A. Gaese

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

I am a new member of this forum but I had glanced at it from time to time long before I joined and I would like to thank everyone in this forum for providing such a wealth of information on the subject, its been invaluable to me for understanding arms and armor from both Europe and around the world. Happy

Mr. McCormick I am not much of an expert in arms from Asia, but i'll give it a shot. most tulwars are generally from my knowledge made in northern India, either in the Punjab region or in modern day Pakistan. The city of Lahore was a big production center for making Tulwars. I believe the sword you have was probably made during the 17th or 18th century and is either of Sikh or muslim make.

I could be wrong, as I'm not an expert, but hopefully that would give you an idea as to when and where your sword came from. Happy
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the input. Hard facts on these type of swords always seem rather elusive. Does anyone out there have any idea on what script is engraved on the blade or even better a translation.
Regards,
Norman.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Antique tulwar ? date and origin ?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic