Examples of sail-guard main gauche daggers.
Hello, I'm looking for photos of the so-called 'sail-guard' main gauche daggers. There are several presented in the Albums section, but I'd like to see more. 17th originals, as well as quality Victorian and contemporary replicas are welcome.
Also, if anyone could point to scholarly writings on the subject of this particular type of parrying dagger, by all means do so!

Below is the Spanish style main gauche and a practice main gauche at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

One of my most favourite type of daggers and I WILL make one someday :lol:

This example (with matching cup-hilt rapier) is from Kunsthistorisches Museum - Vienna, Austria. At first glance it is similar with that from Metropolitan Museum of Art

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

I appologize for the relatively bad quality of the pictures (it was not allowed to use flashlights in the museum) and for the lack of any information about date, manufacturer, exc. (at that time - 2005, I didn't take pictures of the information tablets yet)

Last edited by Boris Bedrosov on Tue 19 Apr, 2011 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boris Petrov Bedrosov wrote:
One of my most favourite type of daggers and I WILL make one someday :lol:

Quality reproductions and pieces inspired and made in the tradition of the 17th c. originals are more than welcome!!

I have seen some remarkably good 19th-21st c. sail hilt daggers!
they have an incredible amount of those at the Wallace.
I'll shot some for you tomorrow and will post them on the wallace thread I've started on the forum.

J
That would be great, Julien!!! If you could take sharp images of the sail guards, and the insides of the hilts, I would really appreciate it. Most of the photos of these that we see, don't show the inner portions of the hilts.
Hi Dmitry,

I've added 3 examples from the Wallace here (got pretty good shots of the inside of hilts too):

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=20

Cheers,

J
Julien, I really appreciate the photos. Thanks a lot!! These are amazing daggers, some of the best I've seen.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: