Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My New Cutting Stand Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: My New Cutting Stand         Reply with quote

This weekend Alexander Hinman and I got together at my home in San Jose to build a new cutting stand. I was cutting off of a very poor improvised one before, so I wanted to make something that took up less space but was tougher and more permanent. We settled on a multi-piece design for easier storage and adjustable target height. It took us two days to build, but that was partially because we were busy a lot of the time, and we started rather late in the day the first one. I think the end product is pretty good, but I have yet to try it out. I'll post pictures of it in action tomorrow. It's capable of holding either plastic bottles or rolled-up newspaper/tatami mats, thanks to a removable section of PVC pipe I can attach the latter to.

This is the cutting stand in its entirety, with the PVC pipe section attached. Note the pegs at the top so that I can change the target height in 6-inch increments.

Detail of the bottom. These pegs are glued in since the main box is separate from the legs (you'll see below).

Detail of the top. At the bottom you can see the peg to adjust the height. We put styrofoam on the top so that if I missed, it wouldn't damage the blade.

Detail of the top without PVC pipe.

I think we made the maximum height a little too high! (For reference, I'm 6'2"!)

This shows the whole piece disassembled for storage and movement.

Close-up of the disassembled top section.

Close-up of the disassembled middle section.
Charlee Garvin

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: cutting stand         Reply with quote

That's good Max!

You ought to refine that and get a patent on it; especially the peg system, which is unique.

Charlee
Douglas G. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Max,

Really neat design! I'm awaiting my first sword, and I definately wanted to do some cutting. Your stand makes perfect sense. Thanks for the great photos, I'll be able to copy it no problem. All the best!

Doug
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, guys. Here are some pictures of the stand in action, using my Albion NG Hospitaller. I had hoped my Talhoffer would arrive in time to participate, but apparently it's still in the works.

I test the distance to the target.

Alex makes an energetic thrust.

Taken immediately after Alex neatly bisected a milk jug.

I land a horizontal cut on the milk jug. You can see the sword flexing a little.
Christopher B Lellis

PostPosted: Tue 07 May, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is an excellent design, I'm going to copy that Big Grin
The basic tatami cutting stand isn't enough for me.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 08 May, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A very similar (not identical, but same principle) stand was designed/built by Chris Peroni on the SBG forum a while ago...

http://www.sword-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

This particular design here in the thread is very robust... perhaps even slightly over-built Happy but if it works, it's all good!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 May, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The stands pictured here are lovely... and too complicated for my tastes. Happy The base supports stick out too far in my opinion, too.

Here's my modular stand. It lets you get pretty close because the base is smallish, but heavy for stability. You can do noodles and jugs/fruit easily. It could be configured for tatami, too.

Here's how I described it in another thread:

Quote:
I use the stand below, made of 2 x 6's with a hole drilled through two of them. I've also added a bracket to hold a 4 x 4, to which is bolted a platform for fruit/water bottles, etc. The whole rig is heavy enough that it won't be knocked over easily. But it's smaller thana shipping pallet, meaning you can get fairly close to it. It's no more than 3 feet wide in any direction (I think the boards are actually around 30 inches).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My New Cutting Stand
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic