so we can make a replica of the armor
pleas help me

ben
I went to images.google.com and typed in "robert lord hungerford."

Here are some of the results:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
i have the pictures from google
i need pictures from more angles to get a better idee about the lines and flutings of the armor
i want to build a aqurate reproduction of the armor
What is the significance of the effigies' armoured feet resting on an animal, usually a dog?
Roger Hooper wrote:
What is the significance of the effigies' armoured feet resting on an animal, usually a dog?

It's debatable. Some say that the kind of animal depcited underfoot for brasses and effigies depends on how/where the person died. If they died at home (of old age, etc.), it could be a dog. If in war, maybe a lion. I think study has shown that those theories don't hold water, just like the theory that crossed legs on an effigy/brass denote a crusader.
Roger Hooper wrote:

One weird idea is that it would keep one's feet warm as well as being comforting in a cold badly heated castle plus maybe some sort of symbol of loyalty and to keep the dead person company ?

Nothing like a nice warm dog for cold feet. :eek: :lol: Sort of the utilitarian theory ! I have no idea if this has merit though. ;)
hungerford didn't die from old age
he was Executed as Found to be Guilty of Treason without Trial in the War of Roses
he did pick the wrong side

ben
Gr Ben wrote:
hungerford didn't die from old age
he was Executed as Found to be Guilty of Treason without Trial in the War of Roses
he did pick the wrong side

ben

Exactly. That's why animals at the feet can't mean what tradition has held they mean.
[quote="Chad Arnow"]
Roger Hooper wrote:

I have always wondered about this as well. My take on this has been that it is primarily religious symbolism, angels cherubs and saints are usually placed in a superior position above the head and an animal (dog/wolf, lion, gryphon, dragon) below the feet symbolizing man's place in the natural order. what type of animal may simply be artistic license?
It is also odd that some of those underfoot animals look happy enough, while others seem distinctly uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: