Introducing... The Kern
This is a far sweeter sword than I even imagined it would be - very agile.

[ Linked Image ]

Specifications
Overall length: 40" (101.6 cm)
Blade length: 33.75" (85.73 cm)
Blade width: 1.48" (3.76 cm)
CoG: 7" (17.78 cm)
CoP: 23" (43.82 cm)
Weight: 1 lb 14.5 oz (0.865 kilos)

More here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...rn-xix.htm
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...photos.htm

Best,

Howy
As always, very nice work! I like this one even better than the concept drawing.

-Grey
I don't normally like Ringhilts, but this has class!
Another winner, Howy. I don't know how you guys do it, but I'm always impressed. If I didn't have the Gallowglass already, I'd be sorely tempted!
Wow, exellent as usual. But my sword allowance is a little low, at the moment. This is certainly in the running for my next purchase though, along with the Caithness and the Condottiere.
Another beautiful sword. Since I love XIX's, any new addition of that type is welcome. The extra bands on the grip are very attractive. I also like the way you brought the end of the ricasso very close to the L-shaped grooves.

How does the Kern's handling compare to the Condottiere's? They have the same blade, but the different pommels must have an effect.
Good question
Roger Hooper wrote:
How does the Kern's handling compare to the Condottiere's? They have the same blade, but the different pommels must have an effect.

That is a good question Roger. Since both of these are relatively new models, no one has had much time to really get to know either of them very well; but based on my handling of the swords, I would say that they both are fast swords. The XIX blade that we use for them is fairly light, so the swords move quite well.

With that said, the Condottiere seems to have a bit more tip control. I believe that this is the result of the heavier pommel. The Kern on the other hand is under 2 pounds, so it sails through the air when you making a slashing cut. In addition, it has a bit more blade presence than the Condottiere, so I suspect it would have a slight advantage in slashing cuts.

The thing I'd emphasize is that both of these swords have a beautiful feel to them. The differences are not great, and I believe this is the result of the lightness of the XIX blade.

I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: