Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Very Unusual Sword from the Bayerisches Nat. Museum Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Very Unusual Sword from the Bayerisches Nat. Museum         Reply with quote

Some of you will now the attached photo quite well. It is part of what seems to be an almost never ending amount of original photos of Arms, Armour and artifacts from the Bayerisches and other museums which I keep finding on line. I believe thay were photographed in the early 20thC. The content of some of these old shots is amazing....I dont know where many of the items are today as I havent seen modern photos of most of the items.
This photo has always intrigued me. This unusual sword, which seems like a queer hybred, has been hard to see because, in the original photo, the grip area is clutered by two pollaxe heads which are in the background. Unfortunalely, the photographer didnt notice how much they lined up with the sword's grip. I finally got around to eliminating them in Photoshop and so now we can see just the sword. Notice also the matching scabbard with finger-ring cutout on the right side of the photo. It has a space for a small knife too.
Does anyone have any information or other photos of this sword ? Do we know where the sword is today ?
I would appreciate your comments !

Cheers !

Attachment: 87.83 KB
from The Bayerisches Nat. museum.jpg

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like it. Reminds me of a type XXII blade. Broad, flat, two narrow fullers, much like that sword of Borgia's?? in general appearance. Would like to see some better images of it.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy Nice hilt on this one, The blade look's like the one on Herzog Heinrich der Fromme von Sachsen sword in this topic.
(super) Cool

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Very unusual sword         Reply with quote

Merv,

An interesting shield too !

Richard
Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Very unusual sword         Reply with quote

Richard Wells wrote:
Merv,
An interesting shield too !
Richard

Yes Richard........I think we sometimes assume that shields of this type and others that are shown in original manuscripts with very deep dimentional heraldry were vicitms of artistic licence. Im not sure if this shield is a kinghts display shield of if it was actually used in the lists but its quite a work of art !

Merv

Merv ....... KOLR

Nick Winley

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Though not historically significant, it strikes me that this sword is very similar to two of the swords used by the Nazgul in The Fellowship of the Ring. I afraid I'm too video challenged to get a screen grab but they only appear clearly in one scene, just before they stab the would-be hobbits in their beds.

The hilts are completely different but the wide blades with the finger rings and the short fullers are the same. They are not, as far as I can tell, one of the LOTR swords of which a reproduction has been made.

As I say its not a historical reference but it would be interesting to know what the inspiration was, whether it was this sword or another somewhere that's similar.

Nick.

"The Riddle of Steel. Yes! You know what it is, don't you boy."
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me, the blade in the photo looks broad enough that it could be an executioner's sword, but I doubt that this is the case. It's probably an elaborate ceremonial sword designed to look intriguing without necessarily being functional.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know what we're seeing here.

The "polearm" is a hurlbat. Is it behind the sword pommel or in front of it? I don't know. I can see it both ways. The "craters" and corrosion look very similar on the "pommel" area as it does on the hurlbat's face and that is why I'm leaning that way. I do see a "distinction" that outlines a pommel shape, though. I'm not sure if the "pommel" area is showing corrosion or ornamentation.

A close-up is below.

Original photo:

Have a look at more discussion of this photo in This topic.

Regarding the comment about the sword being an ornate sword not meant for actual use: I disagree and instead put forward that this sword was more a decorated tool and weapon than a dedicated ornament. My understanding of these swords, and it's very limited, is that they were somewhat common between 1450-1550. They had thin cross-sections, often with a mid-rip or diamond section, a couple fullers. They were short slashing weapons and not unwieldy. Peter Johnsson made comment in the post linked above and may be able to provide a much more well-rounded and scholarly discussions to augment my regurgitated information.

Attachment: 24.99 KB
closeup.jpg
Close-up

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Bayersische Sword         Reply with quote

Yes, I find the image quite confusing. I spent around 27 years doing professional commercial Photography for the Advertising and Business communities and when, in the photographers haste to meet deadlines, we would accidently line products up like this, it was considered the classic poo-bah mistake. Having pondered over this image for quite some time I decided to blow it right up in Photoshop. For me its the lighting that tells the story....if you look closely at the left hand grip-decorative rivet at the top of the "pommel", you can see shadow area which is not in keeping with the hurlbat background. The hurlbat is at an angle to the grip. I've added highlight to help show the angles, etc....hope this helps !
Also theres another shot from RA, Leeds showing a similar type. I also found an effergy with the samw sword type....I will continue looking in my files for it.

Opppppps........I cant upload any more as I've reached my upload limit.....shame as its a nice image. Sorry !

Merv ....... KOLR

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bayersische Sword         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:

Opppppps........I cant upload any more as I've reached my upload limit.....shame as its a nice image. Sorry !

From your Profile, you can go to the User Attachment Control Panel. This allows you to see how close you are to your quota and also allows you to delete old attachments to clear out room. If you've sent attachments via PM, I'd delete those first and then delete old Marketplace posts or really old posts elsewhere in the forum.

If that doesn't help, post the image to Photobucket, Picturetrail or any other image hoster and embed it in your post.

The upload limits are spelled out on the page that talks about membership plans and it's easy to see from your profile where you are with that to avoid these situations.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bayersische Sword         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Merv Cannon wrote:

From your Profile, you can go to the User Attachment Control Panel. This allows you to see how close you are to your quota and also allows you to delete old attachments to clear out room. If you've sent attachments via PM, I'd delete those first and then delete old Marketplace posts or really old posts elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks Chad.......will do. I will upgrade my account also but I have to wait. I used to have a company and be on a very high hourly rate but now I am a regisrered carer for my aging Mum whos on Kidney dialasis and so funds are very tight. I get so much from this forum though I will asap ! Meanwhile Ill have a spring cleaning ( its spring here !) Cool

Merv ....... KOLR

Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Bayersische Sword         Reply with quote

Thats better,,,,,,er, I deleted dome old files !...... Big Grin

Yes, it certinally is dificult discerning between areas of grey texture in this old pic ! I hope the highlighted areas help seperate foreground from hurlbat background. Anyway, I'm very interrested to hear the feedback now. Ive included the RA Leeds shot for comparison...it is very much like the one in the effergy that I'm still looking for. Perhaps they were old C&T blades fashionablly revamped ? They have an almost "basilard" look, do you think ?

Attachment: 80.78 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 99.11 KB
[ Download ]

Merv ....... KOLR

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Very Unusual Sword from the Bayerisches Nat. Museum
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic