Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How difficult was it to defeat a man in plate armor? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Shayan G

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Toni Lozica wrote:

Also some years ago I saw a documenary on some warrior organization somewhere in Middle East, possibly Iraq.They were trainig their hands and arms with broad and heawy wooden logs that had a handle in form of sword hilt. That looked quite impresive. Anything of a sort in Europe at the time?

That's the ancient Iranian martial art, "Varzesh-e Baastaani." The tradition is easily 1800 year old, dating back at least to the Parthian era, and was intended as training for use of swords, shields, maces, and bows. It also centers a lot on wrestling, which ties in to the thread topic.

In Iran and many of the Central Asian Republics, most of the native martial arts deal with wrestling. The reason is that after two heavily armored warriors closed in on each other, the fight would often degenerate into a wrestling match due to the difficulty in using weapons in such proximity (e.g. close cavalry melee when two horses are immediately adjacent). The winner in these sports is whoever doesn't hit the ground, for obvious reasons.

Another way the Turkic and Iranian steppe cultures dealt with heavily armored opponents was much simpler than trying to open them like a can with polearms or mace. Light horsemen would simply lasso them or throw a net over them and drag them behind their horses. Surprisingly simple and effective. Here's a Mongolian lasso:

Here's the Persian martial art:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D2ar9_BptM
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bram Verbeek wrote:
I do not remember anything like a roman small unit tactics in medieval times, perhaps because fighting was more individualistic, with often nobles not doing what they were told to do because they had the chance to capture some high ransom noble.

Medieval European records don't mention anything like this idea of rotating fresh troops to the front line (which isn't the same as saying they didn't do it--they didn't record a lot of things they must have done, and they were great fans of writers such as Vegetius and Tacitus), but it would be a mistake to think all medieval combat was so individualistic: Contrary to modern belief, much medieval combat was highly disciplined and controlled. The Templars were famous for their iron discipline in battle, and the English armies were as well. At Crecy the English stood in place on the field all through the battle and well afterward, not moving to take prisoners, etc. because Edward knew he was outnumbered badly and that if they broke up they would be easy prey for the vastly superior (numerically, if in no other way) French forces. Nor are these examples unusual; for every bad example (e.g., the French at Crecy, pushing forward to be "first" so much that they engaged when they weren't supposed to) I can show you numerous examples of troops that fought a highly-disciplined, controlled fight.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes, but it takes very much control to make an effective infantry rotation system, I think that would be hard to do without the high amount of officers the romans had. I was generalising when I spoke of a more individualised combat system, but the reputed discipline of the romans is staggering, and without equal. It is not that the english at crecy had lower morale or control was less, the romans were trained to do quite a number of different tasks and follow quite a number of different orders. I am not idealising the romans, but in my opinion roman small unit tactics is about the only thing they had uniquely different from other powers, and they did that well.

but then, when guns arrived a kind of refresment was quickly adopted, so it might not have been all that uncommon
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the extremely common medieval practice of arraying the soldiers in three battles can actually be seen as a line relief system. It was not as fast and as reliable as the Roman system because it lacked the gaps that allowed the second-line unit to pass ahead of the first in small, more manageable packets--but it worked, at least when properly controlled. At the very worst, it could work as a passive line-relief system--once your first line has broken and fled, you'd still have the second and third line to rely on!

(And, of course, the hastati-principes-triarii sequence only worked as an actual tactical concept during the middle of the Republican period. By the time the Romans became really dominant--the Late Republic and the Empire, that is--they had merged those three classes into a uniform cohort, and used the cohorts as building blocks for their front and reserve lines in a very similar manner to the way 18th- and 19th-century generals managed their infantry battalions.)
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is very informative. Tell me more. And where are the sources for this information? What are the good books to go read on these subjects?
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On which part? The Roman one or the medieval one? My quick-and-dirty online reference for Romans is LacusCurtius ( http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/home.html ) while De Re Militari ( http://www.deremilitari.org ) is the online first stop for medieval military history. And, of course, the myArmoury bibliography section here: http://www.myArmoury.com/books/
James Barker

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi I just want to toss my 2 cents in on earlier comments on bills. Bills were used by the lower class not by knights and men at arms. They might have been used against men in armor but I doubt they would have the same effect as a poleaxe. Bills are top heavy and clumsy weapons while poleaxes are balanced and elegant. Bills were gardening tools taken to war and were likely far more effective against the more lightly armed men on the field.
James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Barker wrote:
Hi I just want to toss my 2 cents in on earlier comments on bills. Bills were used by the lower class not by knights and men at arms. They might have been used against men in armor but I doubt they would have the same effect as a poleaxe. Bills are top heavy and clumsy weapons while poleaxes are balanced and elegant. Bills were gardening tools taken to war and were likely far more effective against the more lightly armed men on the field.

Hi James,

I've never worked with a bill before, but that matches my reading of the weapon. Do you know how sharp the inside curve was, and have you done any "test hacking" with one? I figured the guys from Lord Grey's would have!

By the way, did you get an e-mail I sent you about a month ago? PM if you didn't!

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
James Barker

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:
I've never worked with a bill before, but that matches my reading of the weapon. Do you know how sharp the inside curve was, and have you done any "test hacking" with one? I figured the guys from Lord Grey's would have!

I have never read data on how sharp the curve was; it must have been a little sharp being a bill hook was used to prune tree Wink. Never done tests cuts but having handled good 15th c replicas they are real top heavy; I am sure the later 16th c versions meant for war are better.

Hugh Knight wrote:
By the way, did you get an e-mail I sent you about a month ago? PM if you didn't!

I sent a reply but it must have been lost; I will write again.

James Barker
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
They might have been used against men in armor but I doubt they would have the same effect as a poleaxe.

They seemed to get the job done at Flodden Field. The Scots had such good armor that arrows did next to nothing. Despite this, English billmen defeated them in the melee.

Quote:
Bills are top heavy and clumsy weapons while poleaxes are balanced and elegant.

Prove it. The English bill is simply that country's version of the halberd. All English military writers I know of considered bills and halberd interchangeable. Di Grassi considered the Italian bill to be the best of all cutting polearms. Where is this disrespect for the bill coming from?

Quote:
Do you know how sharp the inside curve was, and have you done any "test hacking" with one?

I've murdered a number of pumpkins with my A&A English bill. It's supposedly based on a late 15th-century weapon.
James Barker

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Prove it. The English bill is simply that country's version of the halberd. All English military writers I know of considered bills and halberd interchangeable. Di Grassi considered the Italian bill to be the best of all cutting polearms. Where is this disrespect for the bill coming from?

I already comment on the 16th c bill being a different animal. Earlier bills are modified farming tools.

As to bill and halberd being the same word there is some truth to that; all lower end polearms are called a bill in English muster rolls in the 15th c; it does not breakdown the difference in the weapons. However I stand by my statement that it is not as good a weapon as the knightly polearms of the same time. Not all arms are created equal.

James Barker
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll agree bills aren't as optimized for fighting against a man in full harness as the pollaxe, but they're not clumsy weapons.

Do you have any evidence that 15th-century bills weren't made for warfare?
James Barker

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The fact many museum pieces have been examined and it was shown the spikes are welded on later than the original head was made (referring to the classic bill shape) and the endless amount of art from the 12th c on of men pruning trees with spikeless bills.

In the 15th c muster rolls the men with bow and bill are lightly armored or unarmored. David key wrote a great article about how "billmen" did not exist as a standard troop in the War of the Roses era; bills in the muster rolls are almost always listed with and archer. Archers turned into extra hands when the use for a the bow ended. This is not unlike Agincourt where the archers stopped loosing picked up axes, hammers, and mauls and wadded into the hand to hand combat.

As to Flodden the billmen cut the heads off the pikes of the pikemen who then drew swords; I don't know about you but I will take a bill over a sword Wink

James Barker
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
In the 15th c muster rolls the men with bow and bill are lightly armored or unarmored.

Yet some men with full armor used bills. For example, a list of "fencible men" from 1480 includes the following: "Thomas Staunton, John Holme, whole harness and both able to do the king's service with bill."
James Barker

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately as Andrew Boardman points out in the Medieval Soldier of the War of the Roses "Harness" does not always mean a full suit of armor; it only means a breastplate or brigandine or maybe other bits of armor in this time frame.

Looking at the Strykland Muster roll men with harness and bills total about 15 out of a few hundred. Harness and bow, jack and bow, jack and bill far outnumber those listed as bill and harness.

James Barker
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Whole harness" likely meant more than just "harness."

Either way, the fact that many billmen didn't wear full armor doesn't mean the bill was a poor weapon.

People who favor a certain weapon are always eager to dismiss similar weapons as inferior. If I recall correctly, John Waldman, who focused on the halberd, didn't have much nice to say about the pollaxe. However, I believe he considered the bill to be simply an English halberd.
James Barker

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have to admit I will take this:

over this:

any day; having handled several examples of both I find having the better centered mass of the pollaxe both damages and handles better; pull having a spike on the cue rocks.

James Barker
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At 1.6 kg without the shaft, that's a pretty heavy bill.

I certainly wouldn't want to get hit the head with it, helmet or no.
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Barker wrote:
Have to admit I will take this:

over this:

any day; having handled several examples of both I find having the better centered mass of the pollaxe both damages and handles better; pull having a spike on the cue rocks.

I am *so* with you!!! The pollaxe is an elegant, sophisticated weapon; in my opinion the single most deadly hand-to-hand combat implement ever designed (even better than a sharpened entrenching tool, and that's saying something!) for Harnischfechten.

I will say this, however: The bill might be simpler to teach untrained troops to use (the pollaxe, like many complex systems, requires a fair bit of training to get the most out of it) and may be more greared towards use by a dismounted trooper against a mounted man at arms. For example, the lack of a spike on the Queue of the bill probably reflects the fact that the bill was intended primarily for use "long" in battle where he bottom spike just wouldn't have any value. And placing the hook where it is--far forward--seems ideal for hooking someone above you.

And like the pollaxe in battle, the bill was probably intended mostly as a "spear with benefits", meaning it was primarily a thrusting weapon that could be used for chopping or hooking if necessary but that the latter two functions were subordinate to its primary intent. Later authors such as Mair who taught bill/halberd combat seem to have taken the "use it long" approach directly from it's battlefield applications as their guide rather than using a modified pollaxe approach to single combat.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
For example, the lack of a spike on the Queue of the bill probably reflects the fact that the bill was intended primarily for use "long" in battle where he bottom spike just wouldn't have any value.

Once again, Hugh, I suggest you read di Grassi instructions on fighting with polearms. He wrote favorably of butt spikes on bills/halberds. Secondly, butt spikes aren't useless with a long grip. Meyer's manual has a few techniques with butt, as does Silver's. (Note that Silver's staff has a considerable point on the butt.) Even when the weapon is held long, things can get close.

Quote:
And like the pollaxe in battle, the bill was probably intended mostly as a "spear with benefits", meaning it was primarily a thrusting weapon that could be used for chopping or hooking if necessary but that the latter two functions were subordinate to its primary intent.

Not according to John Smythe. He wrote that halberdiers should strike at the head and thrust at face. If anything, he seems to have favored the blow. He stressed how it was often easier to strike than thrust in a press. Meyer also focused at least as much on the blow as the thrust.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How difficult was it to defeat a man in plate armor?
Page 4 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: