Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dian Culture armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Melanie R.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Dian Culture armor         Reply with quote

I am looking for information on armor, particularly bronze, of the Dian culture of Yunnan province. Specifically, I need to find info on what is termed beijia, or "back armor". Yang Hong's Weapons in Ancient China mentions it and shows a photo on pages 155-56, Fig. 230. The armor looks remarkably similar to a horse frontlet or chaffron, and I am wondering if there is a possibility that the piece was misidentified. I can find no other images of such armor, including among the many Dian artifacts that show military scenes.

I am currently studying two similar artifacts (see attached image of one), which are too big for a horse but are the right height for my back (I stand around 5' 5"). I would greatly appreciate any information on this topic.

Melanie

Attachment: 39.03 KB
1871.jpg
Size: 30.5" high, 15.5" wide
Werner Stiegler

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you tried asking at china history forum already? There should be one or two users there, who have at least shown a passing interest in dian armour.
Melanie R.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I already posted the same query on the china history forum. Thanks for the suggestion, nonetheless!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are there any holes around the edge of the plate? It is difficult to tell from the photo.
Knowing the dimensions would help determine whether it was intended for a man's back or a horse's head.
Melanie R.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are holes around portions of the item. I have attached a diagram that shows the approximate position of the holes, and which gives dimensions. The thickness is only from 1.0 to 1.5mm, so the piece would likely have been decorative, whether intended for human or equine use. I have also attached a profile shot to show curvature. Please note that the artifact is extensively restored and I cannot guanrantee that the curvature is the same as when manufactured.

Attachment: 46.41 KB
1871 dimensions.jpg

Attachment: 22.98 KB
1871 profile.jpg

Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks to me that the upper section would be unconfortable for a horse to see through as it covers the eyes on this one.
I have made some horse stuff and it seems it does not go in enough where it ought to for the eyes. It might just be I have never worked on anything like this one though.

here is a fairly straight forward one.

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/dc-532.jpg.

It just does not look to be comfortable to the horse so me. I think it would not give enough clearance for the horse's eyes. Maybe gordon frye or someone here that rides often could comment. It also looks rather flat nose to ears for a chamfron.

As far as the 1-1.5mm thickness. That could still be sufficient for human or horse armour I'd wager, especially if it were a backplate and not probable to take many blows.

RPM
Felix Kunze

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I´ve also never seen this kind of backplate for an armor before. From the little statues that depict military scenes from the Dian-culture, that you already mentioned, I guess most of the Dian armor was from hardened and lacquered leather, like the known examples from the contemporary Warring States armor. But armguards of bronze are found more often in the graves, sometimes lavishly decorated with animals. I will post one of the better known scenes showing armored Dian warriors. Some similarities seem to exist to the later Tanko-armors of Japan and Korea and their helmets (known as shokaku in Japanese).

But there seems to exist a Dian grave ( Lijiashan/Li-chia-shan grave (M) 24) with a fragmented but seemingly complete armor, many fragments are of bronze of which two are identified as backplates (plus one backplate fragment). Maybe you can find more information in one of the chinese archaeological papers. Information on this grave can be found in:
Kaogu Xueebao/K'aoku Hsueehpao - Acta Archaeologica Sinica (KKHP), Beijing, 1975.2.

Attachment: 84.9 KB
Dian.jpg

Melanie R.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many thanks to all!

As Felix mentioned, the Dian art tends to show other armor styles. As for the similarity to the Japanese armor, the Dian culture had extensive contact and trade with other cultures, so it is always possible that they were influenced by outside styles.

The back armor found in the Lijiashan tomb M24 is what started this whole thread. The bronzes I am studying were presented to us as oversized horse frontlets, but then I came across the virtually identical bronze in Yang Hong's book. I will try to get the report you mentioned, in Kaogu Xuebao.

Randall,
I agree about the poor fit of the item as a frontlet. Both the shape and size of the bronze and the placement of many of the holes for cords seem contrary to use as a frontlet.

Most Chinese and Dian frontlets I have seen depicted curve to fit the side of the head, or are small ornaments that sit around the forehead. I have only seen two images of flat frontlets, and one of those is so small that it seems more likely to be a forehead ornament:

Gilded bronze, 19.5 cm H, 7.7 cm W (7 11/16" H, ~3 1/16" W), in (Hunting and Rituals: Treasures from the Ancient Dian Kingdom of Yunnan, Hong Kong: Hong Kong Museum of History; 2004. p 178.

Ungilded bronze, curved to fit over the top of the horse's head: 39 cm H, 21.9 cm W (~15 3/8" H, 8 5/8" W), in (Imperial China; the Art of the Horse in Chinese History, Lexington: Kentucky Horse Park; 2000. pp 74-75.

From everyone's input, both here and on other forums, it appears more likely that the artifacts I am studying were intended for human use. I truly appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks much,
Melanie

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dian Culture armor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic