Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Saxon Huscarl Axe by Eric McHugh Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's EXACTLY what I want. I really love the type L head on it too. The forwards sweep is just very elegant. Is the haft oval or round? I would thing with a bit that far away from the haft edge alignment could get tricksy, and an oval haft or even just a round haft with flattened sides would mitigate this issue. The height is perfect for Patrick. He could look more intimidating, if his eyes were on fire. Other than that no.
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
He could look more intimidating, if his eyes were on fire.

Yeah, and you could add a blackened spectacle helmet and two crows on his shoulders. Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
the haft oval or round? I would thing with a bit that far away from the haft edge alignment could get tricksy, and an oval haft or even just a round haft with flattened sides would mitigate this issue

It's probably oval ratter than round, to help getting correct knuckles alignement....

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Charlee Garvin

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Great Job         Reply with quote

Greg,

Great picture, man. The weapon suits you. Have you bashed anything with it yet? An old picket fence would be a good simulation for a wall of shields.

Eric, your dedication regarding recreations is easily perceived. Plato said in the Republic, "Opinions lie somewhere between knowledge and ignorance." Candor will always raise an eyebrow-------expect this.

Best Regards,

Charlee
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric ~

Wow! Are you willing/planning to make any more of those in the future? Because I know a certain someone who would be absolutely thrilled with such a sexy axe.

Truly a beauty! Big Grin

Wa bið þam þe sceal of langoþe leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mighty nice axe!
the type L is definitely my favorite form.

I've got a blunt one for fighiting, but I would definitely like to try a sharp, full lenght broadaxe.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick's pretty darn proud of this piece and I can understnd why! Can't say enough about the work you did Eric. Have a few more pics that show the different angles of the head. Phew! That's a lot of work there Amigo! Oh, and PK says "thanks" to Grey, Rob, and everyone else for the compliments. Looking forward to the end of Sept. so I can go see this beastie.:}

And the original.......

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Commissions         Reply with quote

Yes, I can make more of these axes. If you are interested in commissioning a Great Axe, contact me at ericmycue@verizon.net and I can send you the details. At this point, I'm only making the two-part forge welded axes. But I promise they all will be shaped like the original. Happy

Thanks for the interested in my work.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello Eric,

I certainly respect the work you are doing with your axes and I understand your committment to historical accuracy. My comment above was not phrased correctly. What I meant to ask is are you going to attempt to reproduce the three part construction.

I do own the fact that I tend to be kind of anal (I couldn't think of a better term sorry) with the construction of historical weapons. If it is possible I will always want to spend my money on the most authentic piece featuring both exacting reproduction of construction and completely authentic handling characteristics.

But as I have written previously- this is an absolutely stunning axe.
Jeremy

Like I said Jeremy, I was trying not to be defensive...sorry. I guess I reacted that way because these axes are really a pain to make. Moving that much steel is not easy. It's not that I don't know how to forge weld the edge onto the body, it's just that you could still see the line between the high carbon edge and the mild steel. I tried several times to get this to go away, but you could always see a hint of it. Since most examples are heavily corroded, I'm not sure how they are suppose look new. I mean, perhaps that hint of a line is suppose to be there...I don't know. So, I decided to make it two-part because at least I can shape it correctly and that line will not be there.

There are axes you see in Europe that definately have a line where the high carbon edges were welded onto the iron body, but then there are others, that just look blended...completely. This axe I think is one of the blended ones, so again, what does that look like new? So, I went for the look you see in the pictures. I felt is was safer than venturing forth without sound information.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Splendid shapes, one of the best historical axe-reproductions ive ever seen. How does the weight compare to the original?
Keep up the good work using authentic craftmanship, its the only way to approach this fine art.

Gentes scitote,
vicine sive remote,
quod claret Suecia
plebeque militia.
Jonathan Eells

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: A Large Group of Men Running Toward You with THESE         Reply with quote

I liked Patrick's axe so much that last year I really put a shine on my Weapons Grade Begging. Eric took pity on me. I've had this axe for a while now, since a little earlier this year. I had a bunch of workmen at the house fixing my fireplaces when the box arrived and to a man each of them took four or five big steps back when I pulled out this wee beastie.

Eric's work is amazing. Wielding this axe in practice is a workout and a half. I made a sheath for it just today - pretty low tech, I just needed coverage. Later I'll make a more artful leather cover befitting Eric's fine work.

Attachment: 47.32 KB
biyaxe.jpg
Ginormous Axe (I'm 6'5")
Kelly Powell

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man i want one! But in calonitr(my sca kingdom) it is kind of gauche to own a great axe until you earned the title of huscarl.....I'm a fyrdman so I carry a spear, a hand axe and a saex......This isn't set in stone, but you definatley get looks fi you are toting one around site.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kelly Powell wrote:
Man i want one! But in calonitr(my sca kingdom) it is kind of gauche to own a great axe until you earned the title of huscarl.....I'm a fyrdman so I carry a spear, a hand axe and a saex......This isn't set in stone, but you definatley get looks fi you are toting one around site.

So does that actually mean that you have to ask permission to buy and own one or just that when participating in an official SCA event you are not allowed to carry it if you don't have the official title of huscarl ?

Just me but I sort of enjoy being the one in charge of my fantasy life. Wink Question

Oh, this could be taken " badly " and I understand that if one joins a group one also accepts the rules and customs of the group otherwise there would just be unmanageable chaos.

I don't see why one can't participate with one organization and obey it's rules as to " kit " and still have one's personal kit for other contexts ? ( Other groups or just for oneself ).

So, I would look at it this way: At SCA events, SCA rules. For my personal collection I would do what I like: Life is too short and there are enough rules out there that we can't ignore, like paying taxes, that where we can we should choose our own rules as long as it's legal, moral and harms no one.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's stay on topic, rather than talking about SCA (or other) rules.

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jonathan Eells

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: More photos in the interest of science         Reply with quote

There's the picture for m'self, which is of me, naturally. But all delusions of grandeur aside, I took a nice series of photos outside just now while my little daughter puttered around at my feet. Here they are:

Attachment: 46.59 KB
DSC_0005.jpg

Attachment: 47.72 KB
DSC_0006.jpg

Attachment: 17.99 KB
DSC_0007.jpg

Jonathan Eells

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: And some more (testing my upload capabilities)         Reply with quote

More pictures (the post bot tells me that my message is too short and that I am being boorish, curt, uninteresting, and preternaturally low-brow).

Attachment: 18.01 KB
DSC_0008.jpg

Attachment: 13.97 KB
DSC_0009.jpg

Attachment: 21.91 KB
DSC_0010.jpg

Attachment: 18.55 KB
DSC_0011.jpg

Attachment: 19.11 KB
DSC_0012.jpg

Attachment: 16.96 KB
DSC_0013.jpg

Attachment: 22.88 KB
DSC_0014.jpg

Matthew R.

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Eric is still making these axes? I can't seem to get ahold of him.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try searching Dougherty Creek Forge. There he gives his email as ericmycue@verizon.net. As far as I know, he still works with Albion, but, the axe seems to be a personal project.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Try searching Dougherty Creek Forge. There he gives his email as ericmycue@verizon.net. As far as I know, he still works with Albion, but, the axe seems to be a personal project.

Eric is no longer at Albion but has moved back to Indiana to be closer to his parents. He still has an interest of these things, of course. I'm not sure if he has a shop set up yet or not but you can contact him via this site or through the email address above.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jonah Marlow

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That thing is a beauty, I would not want to be on the recieving end of that Eek! . Any chance Albion will start making polearms? Big Grin That would be a dream come true. Who knows? they just might some day Happy .
Jonah Marlow

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Saxon Huscarl Axe by Eric McHugh
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: