Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > i cant believe this is in theaters Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too am an LHer like Matt and do public demos at timeleine events and have done schools as well, although I do 15th c and not the early stuff. I have to agreee that I am constantly appalled at the number of people who take the Hollywood BS as gospel and have to set them straight. That's one of the many reasons I do LH. I have even seen a teacher at Houstead's fort on Hadrian's Wall tell her young field trip students that the hypocaust they were looking at was in fact the sewer system for the house. So yes, there is an equally appalling amount of ignorance in the teaching profession as well. Is anyone really surprised at this? Also disturbing are the number of teachers who take thier students to "Medieval Times" to learn about the middle ages. They were extremely regretful when they found out there was such a thing as LH that they could have had for half the price.

All that being said however, I can still go to see these movies and be entertained. Sure I can pick nits with the best of them but is it worth the negative energy and bottles of pink liquid? If the overall impression is fine so what, and even if it isn't so what. It's entertainment and what sells folks! Despite any director's attempt at accuracy no matter what they may say, it all boils down to those two concepts. Those of us that know the reality of history should try to keep this in perspective. Also keep in mind that some themes are timeless. I have seen Shakespear's "Julius Caesar" done in a modern post apocalyptic setting and although disapointed at the directors choice of expression (I was really looking forward to some sword fights) it did not detract from the Bard's original intent.

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Didn't watch this film, but did watch another this evening that reminded me that I go to the movies to be taken away from the mundane for a pleasant little interval. Not to learn. Not to marvel at exacting recreations of anything. Just to drift of into a pleasant little diversion, even if its completely nonsensical. Happy

But then again, I think I'm in love with the Heineken keg robot woman and her two sisters or whatever they are. So perhaps I'm not the best judge of serious things like this. Wink

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's okay, Nathan, we're still in scholarly debate mode, here, with just a few spicy opinions thrown in!

Stephen S. Han wrote:
Matthew,

I don't want to start some kind of a flme war, but... Laughing Out Loud

Oh, no worries! I should have been a little more specific, too, since some of my comments were not directly in response to you, but more general.

Quote:
My rant was pointed toward those "historical accuracy Nazis" whose tiresome mantra of "it's not historically accurate, therefore garbage" gets thrown in my face.

Fair enough! I'm with you on that one: accuracy does not necessarily make a good movie (haven't seen "Alexander", but from what I've heard...), nor does INaccuracy necessarily make a bad movie.

Quote:
I do disagree with you about historically accurate costs less.

Not always, but all too many movies add things large or small which are not accurate. Leave them out, and the movie is automatically made more accurate, without the expense. For example, the opening battle of "Gladiator" involved hundreds of flaming arrows and catapult missiles, creating a wall of fire. Dramatic, but ridiculous. Even those viewers who knew nothing about ancient warfare might have guessed that making a wall of fire for your own cavalry ambush to ride through might not be the best tactics around. And every legionary had black leather armguards and mud splattered all over his shield. Leave those out (shields in actuality had removable covers to keep them clean until battle time), and save a few bucks. Remember, the more little details you get right, the fewer nit-pickers will complain, and more people will come to see the movie. That's more money for the producers!

Quote:
I read magazine articles about extraordinary costs involved in getting every detail as closely historical as possible for the movie "Last of the Mohicans" which involved minute recreation of uniform buttons and such.

Oh, definitely, accuracy like that costs a ton. But again, to pick on "Gladiator", even though all the armor was basically Roman-influenced fantasy stuff (I've been studying this for far too long!), just painting it to look like METAL would have made a world of difference. "Excalibur" had shiny armor, so why not "Gladiator"?

Quote:
I am equally impatient with someone who says something like, "Saving Private Ryan was okay until they messed up the Waffen SS soldiers' haircuts. It ruined the whole movie for me." Why oh why do these people allow a minute "mistakes" ruin their life's experiences?

I'm with you again! If the problems with "Gladiator", "Passion", "Troy", "Last Legion" and other recent works were so miniscule, I'd be in movie heaven.

Quote:
Of course we all know these mistakes don't ruin anything, but these people feel the need to say something which in their minds make them superior to we lowly peasants who don't know about the haircut patterns of the Waffen SS. Razz

Weeeellllll, that may be a little unjust! It's fair to say that they're too uptight, but I'd hesitate to ascribe such arrogance to them unless I knew them better. Especially when we're not supposed to prejudge a movie by a few very bad-looking stills, eh?

But as far as entertaining goes, sure I agree! I'm a big Arnold Schwarzenegger fan, so you can hardly call me a snob. Maybe my tastes in stupid movies are just different from those who like "Gladiator" or "300"--I just feel that even perfect historical accuracy would not make them watchable. For ME! If entertainment is all I'm after, there are just other things I'd prefer to see.

If most of the reviews of "Last Legion" rave about the amazing script, brilliant acting, and superb directing, I'll look forward to seeing it. But a few guys saying "Kick-ass fights!" just won't do it, I'm afraid. Hey, that's just me!

Matthew
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Last Legion" opened in the DC area last weekend w/o a screening for the film critics. Does that omission tell you something about the film? In one trailer, I saw a Late Roman trooper using an Indian Katar push blade. Does that tell you something about the fim?

Matt, I would agree with you and thank you for stating the question so well. Why make a film with such silly inaccuracies when you could do it accurately for the same or less? BTW, I once asked, in another forum, why someone who had a reputation for good films allowed the Praetorian Guard in "Gladiator" to come off looking like a cross between Darth Vader and Hitler's SS troops. One resonse was that the appearance was, perhaps, intentional to make them look more oppressive. It still doesn't explain the grubby appearance of the legionaries in the field, however.

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys, Have you ever seen 13 Warriors?
I don´t know its English name but it is about 12 Viking warriors and a Persian one (Antonio Banderas). Did you see the Viking Jarl wearing an Italian XVI century armour?
Thats crap. But the story is good and i loved that movie.
Personally i prefer historicaly accurate things, but as we all know Hollywood prefers half hour lasting sword duels instead of a ten seconds of accurate swordplay with a Flos Duellatorum technique and next a dead man.

¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rudolfo, there is a prime example of how a good story and decent acting can make up for some really silly mistakes in the technical end of things. Banderas' scene where he is reshaping one of the monster Viking swords into a shamshir is silly as can be but it is also funny as can be when the repartee between him and the others is considered. Similarly, some, if not most, of "King Arthur" was actually sort of funny and sort of interesting. I found the portrayal of a Wall fort to be rather well done. But then we had the idiotic character using two Chinese sabers slung across his back.

And I am not even addressing the very unhistorical portrayal of Germanus and of the Christian Church of that time. I would only suggest that you read Jack Whyte's take on Germanus in the "Camulod Chroncles" for a rather better and fairer presentation.

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
but as we all know Hollywood prefers half hour lasting sword duels instead of a ten seconds of accurate swordplay with a Flos Duellatorum technique and next a dead man.

Realistic duels don't have to be quick. For example, George Silver thought a fight between two masters should always end in a stalemate.
Mike H

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the reason why i posted this was not because of historical accuracey but it just looks like a cheap piece of garbage, I also dont like the look of the combat, it looks like the cheapo Hurc/ Zena combat.
Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes- pope John Paul II
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. D. Simpson wrote:
With the number of people in Hollywood jumping on the pseudo-historical Arthurian bandwagon, I can't figure out why someone hasn't tried to do Bernard Cornwell's The Warlord Chronicles. It would make a much better film (or films) than these others, as well as being slightly more historically accurate, if they stuck close to the books.

The author is probably holding out for adaptation rights or wants more money then they could pay a hack writer to deliver for them. Never assume projects coming out of Hollywood ever are logically thought out or use the best material they can get. Often, it depends upon who has the money and what they would accept for a project to succeed. Having talked to many in the industry in the past when I lived down there, and others today outside of it wanting in, I can tell you that to expecting greatness from the film industry is wasted hope.

I take what I can get and reommend the good (Stardust is excellent), while not recommending the bad (like this movie...waste of money).
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:

And I am not even addressing the very unhistorical portrayal of Germanus and of the Christian Church of that time. I would only suggest that you read Jack Whyte's take on Germanus in the "Camulod Chroncles" for a rather better and fairer presentation.

I second this recommendation.....highly. A very good book series in general. In fact, its probably this series that has ruined any further "Fall of Rome-era" Arthurian adaptations for me. Big Grin

I also recommend Stardust (though the book is much better). I especially enjoyed seeing some Icelandic landscapes appear in that film that I recognized from when I lived there! Happy

Sorry if I'm straying off-topic by commenting on those.....

Wa bið þam þe sceal of langoþe leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish I had read this BEFORE I dropped 22 bucks on tickets and 30 on snacks ..... arghhhhhh
Randy Westgate
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randy W wrote:
I wish I had read this BEFORE I dropped 22 bucks on tickets and 30 on snacks ..... arghhhhhh

Well, although I'm can enjoy a film like this that distorts history completely if it is at least entertaining all the comments from those who have actually seen the film is really not very " motivational " for me to risk losing a couple of hours of my life on something that is going to be " stupid/boring " . Only a film SO BAD as to be a classic horrible film would be worth it !

A merely mediocre film is the worse kind as far as I'm concerned: A film is worth seeing when it is either very good or
a potential winner of a " Worst Film Ever Made Award " . Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. R. Reynolds wrote:
I have even seen a teacher at Houstead's fort on Hadrian's Wall tell her young field trip students that the hypocaust they were looking at was in fact the sewer system for the house. So yes, there is an equally appalling amount of ignorance in the teaching profession as well. Is anyone really surprised at this? Also disturbing are the number of teachers who take thier students to "Medieval Times" to learn about the middle ages. They were extremely regretful when they found out there was such a thing as LH that they could have had for half the price.

I just wish they would let us teach about the middle ages other the King Henry 8th (that's pretty much all the middle ages you get at primary school in England, possibly other Tudor or Stewart monarchs but not often). Don't even get me started on the text books I have had to send back/laugh at in the staff room/explain to children that the book is wrong that contain the immortal lines "King Henry and his knights were winched onto their horses before they went into battle because the armour they wore was so heavy."

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Randy W wrote:

Well, although I'm can enjoy a film like this that distorts history completely if it is at least entertaining all the comments from those who have actually seen the film is really not very " motivational " for me to risk losing a couple of hours of my life on something that is going to be " stupid/boring " . Only a film SO BAD as to be a classic horrible film would be worth it !

A merely mediocre film is the worse kind as far as I'm concerned: A film is worth seeing when it is either very good or

My advice: wait for cable if you have it, or netflix it. This movie is not worth a theater viewing my view. :-)
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colin,

"King Henry and his knights were winched onto their horses before they went into battle because the armour they wore was so heavy."

One of my favorite myths to bust at timelines. I used to be able to do hand stands (age and injury have finally caught up with me) in my armour but can still do pushups and win foot races against the shorts and tennis shoe crowd over a short course (in turnshoes). And of course everyone watching is amazed when I step into the saddle from the ground. The only consession I make there is to have someone put some weight in the off stirrup so that I don't wind up under the horse.

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Randy W wrote:

My advice: wait for cable if you have it, or netflix it. This movie is not worth a theater viewing my view. :-)

Not even with a health dosage of tequila?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colin,

Henry VIII is in my opinion not even really medieval. Though to be fair I am not very find of him and think his egotism actually can be seen by reading most of the accounts from his court. I have read most of the printed and some of the unprinted accounts of the courts from Edward I on but reading his accounts... wow, he thought alot of himself!

AS for the movie. I will wait till it comes out for rental likely. To be fair I go out to see mayeb one film a year lately--- think it is the 10 month old. Has a pretty good cast though. I wonder if the prode and prejudice crowd have all seen it? Laughing Out Loud

RPM
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. R. Reynolds wrote:
Colin,

"King Henry and his knights were winched onto their horses before they went into battle because the armour they wore was so heavy."

One of my favorite myths to bust at timelines. I used to be able to do hand stands (age and injury have finally caught up with me) in my armour but can still do pushups and win foot races against the shorts and tennis shoe crowd over a short course (in turnshoes). And of course everyone watching is amazed when I step into the saddle from the ground. The only consession I make there is to have someone put some weight in the off stirrup so that I don't wind up under the horse.

I really would love to take a class of mine to such an event, but the usual constraints of inadequate history curriculum/budget/lack of parental enthusiasm would probably prevent it Sad

There is a video of a guy on youtube in half armour doing a cartwheel...can I show this to the class though? Nope, caus they blocked access to it from the schools internet (kinda understanably but still frustrating!).

Randall Moffett wrote:
Colin,

Henry VIII is in my opinion not even really medieval. Though to be fair I am not very find of him and think his egotism actually can be seen by reading most of the accounts from his court. I have read most of the printed and some of the unprinted accounts of the courts from Edward I on but reading his accounts... wow, he thought alot of himself!

AS for the movie. I will wait till it comes out for rental likely. To be fair I go out to see mayeb one film a year lately--- think it is the 10 month old. Has a pretty good cast though. I wonder if the prode and prejudice crowd have all seen it?

RPM

Aye, he could quite arguably be renaissance, but thats pretty much the closest we get to medieval in the UK curriculum, although we kinda cover the early medieval period with romans, anglosaxons and vikings. So lots of interesting stuff to cover, but I rather think the life of William Marshall is a bit more interesting than Henry VIII, in my humble opinion!

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colin F. wrote:

There is a video of a guy on youtube in half armour doing a cartwheel...can I show this to the class though? Nope, caus they blocked access to it from the schools internet (kinda understanably but still frustrating!).

Half Armour? I haven't seen that one yet. I have, however, noticed this one of a guy in full armour (and a particularly heavy harness it is, too) doing a cartwheel (and other stuff) on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm11yAXeegg

Non Concedo
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven’t seen this movie and probably won’t bother after reading what has been said about it here. This morning’s paper did mention that it was not screened for critics, which is usually a good indication that the filmmakers aren’t very sure about it. However, I do have a nominee for a worse film. The Bruce, which came out on video in 1996, was undoubtedly the worst depiction of an era and events of which I have some knowledge that I have ever seen. I don’t know that it ever played in theaters in this country.

I have not watched it for some time and in fact only watched it once, so my recollection of the authenticity of the arms and armor is hazy, but it seems like it was OK. However, the twisting of history was abominable. The film starts with some armored knights riding through desert sands with, of all things, the pyramids in the background. The knights are attacked by a swarm of Muslim horsemen and killed, after the one who is supposed to be Sir James Douglas throws the heart of Bruce in the general direction of the enemy. The problem is that the battle where this is supposed to have occurred took place in Spain, in Granada, a far piece from Egypt. And it is all downhill from there. The deBohun/Bruce confrontation at Bannockburn takes place during the main battle and on foot, not the day before on horseback. DeBohun gets far more attention in this movie than his brief footnote in history warrants. And there is a lot more of this sort of thing.

I am not a film critic, but if chewing the scenery won awards this one would have taken all the prizes in 1996.

Hopefully the production values and acting in The Last Legion are better than those of The Bruce.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > i cant believe this is in theaters
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: