This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Mark Morris

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,
Thanks for taking the time to answer more of my questions! Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very impressive work and it should look even better in bronze and be very tempting.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
J. Erb

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of Viking-type swords, but the craftsmanship on this one looks stunning. Though I wouldn't buy a sword of this style (nor could I afford to Wink), I whole-heartedly salute Mr. Johnsson and his obvious skill and dedication. If I ever find myself with a few extra thousand dollars lying around, I know where I'll be spending them!
"What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause, to use their own knowledge against them?"
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for encouragement and appreciation!

I keep carving away, multiplying what has already been shown on the reast of the sides of the hilt.

More pics will follow when I can show something new.

Regards
Peter
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another progress report...
Even though the change might not look dramatic, a few more hours of work has been invested in the piece. The background has been carved deeper to a constant depth on all four carved panels of the hilt. Sculpting of the dragon beasts is moslty finished on three sides. Next step is to carve decorative lines in the main bodies of the dragon beasts to add cotrast and clarity (? ;-) to the pattern.

Hope you can make out something of the shape and detailing in these snapshots.

Meanwhile, I´ll keep carving Wink

Attachment: 54.8 KB
IMG_4265.jpg
Face view of pommel. Some decorative lines are still missing

Attachment: 48.54 KB
IMG_4266.jpg
...Showing some of the shape of the pommel with carving in relief.

Attachment: 50.97 KB
IMG_4268.jpg

Attachment: 50.6 KB
IMG_4269.jpg
Hilt in hand

Attachment: 54.52 KB
IMG_4270.jpg
...and again
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

You're making me very glad that I preordered one of these. I really like how the wax looks with contrasting dark areas. Will the bronze have some sort of "antiquing" or other process to produce a similar effect?

Thanks,

Nathan

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:
Peter,

You're making me very glad that I preordered one of these. I really like how the wax looks with contrasting dark areas. Will the bronze have some sort of "antiquing" or other process to produce a similar effect?

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan,

I am not sure yet what method will be used.
The idea is to arrive at a finish so the background brings a contrast to the decoration. If an atniquing compound is used, the contrast might be rather harsh.
...Or it might be perfect: the effect should not be too sublte either.

Carving a decoration like this is wasted if the surface is not patinated somehow, or brought out by selective polishing.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That hilt is absolutely exquisite, Peter!

It almost looks like something that would come out of a fantasy movie, or one of the better RPG video games.

Actually, I hope this sword serves as inspiration to said industries...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Incredible. I love that sword, might just have to order one....
Tim Boyer

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the work on that is breathtaking!

*sigh*

another sword for the wish list WTF?!
Rob Miller
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,
that is very fine carving work,it is going to be a Masterpiece,beautiful.
I didnt realise until a while ago that the grip was Bronze on the original,it looked like corroded bone,but i think a bound wooden grip will look better anyway.really nice work.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
I am glad you like what you see. I´ve noticed that it is now almost one month since Howy posted the first photos in this thread. Normally I can manage about three complete basic cruciform hilts in one week, if I get to work uninterrupted for as long as I want (and provided that the design and planning is on target, demanding no reworkings).

Just the carving of the decoration on this one has demanded more than one month so far.
It is slow going: I need more practice!

And Rob: Thanks! I really appreciate your words, knowing your own experience from your beautiful rendering of this sword. I love to see the way you solved it.
That the grip is bronze on the original is not very obvious as it has a different color than the pommel and guard (it looks like that in photos anyway: different alloy?). To my eyes it also looks pretty worn (more so than pommel and guard). That opens for some intriguing questions: how much was the original sword used? In what way? By whom? The Sountaka "Queen/Valkyrja"?
The hilt furniture of the original is all cast hollow and is pretty thin stock. I think it must have been filled with some kind of pitch (and lead for the pommel?), or it seems to be rather delicate. Was it a ceremonial weapon? If so, why the traces of wear?

The sword of Charlemagne in the Louvre has a pommel that rather much remind of the Sountaka sword, if one overlook the fact that the swords have so very different origin (and possibly date of manufacture, but perhaps that could be debated). The overall construction of the hilts of these swords are not that far apart actually: they both show the same type of dents and imperfections (Since material is thin). Both swords stand out from other contemporary swords in that their hilts are more than normally decorated and made by casting.
Other viking swords that compare in that they have cast hollow hilts and a prestigious expression is the Dybäck sword, of course, but also the Irish sword from Lough Derg, near Curraghmore, Tipperary. All thse seem to be contemporary at around AD 1100.
There are earlier examples as well of course of these all metal hilts including (tubular) grips. I guess I should put together a photo exposé of these different examples, but they are well known swords all of them. I get the impression that these earlier all metal hilted swords are more solid in the material, and many are not cast, but forged in iron. On the east side of the Baltic sea all iron hilts (with silver and niello) seem to have been popular: the fashion reaches into (originates from?) Rus areas.

Given that I want to have the pommel solid on the Valkyrja and have to have the guard cast solid also, it is not certain that it is possible to have a bronze grip as well as it will add to overall weight even if cast hollow. We´ll have to see where we go with that one. I do think that a simple leather covered grip could offer a nice contrast to the "busy" pommel and guard (just as you suggest Rob).
Perhaps a binding with wire would be another possibility? That was certainly used in contemporary swords: the Dybäck sword is an example of a sword of the same general character that had metal wire bound around the grip.
When we have to pommel and guard cast it will be easier to see where to go.

Now I am soon off to Albion, for a two week visit. I do not think I will post any more progress before then, but perhaps something can be reported while I´m in Wisconsin. It will be great to see these waxes molded and to have poured wax parts sent to the foundry!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For the grip would a very thin cast bronze tube supported by a wood core be theoretically possible ?

Alternatively: A thin covering of sheet bronze with the decoration being hammer embossed into the sheet ? Now, this would only a good idea if it's something that matches historical hilts.

I have no idea about the historical plausibility and I guess this post is a good way to find out from you if you have ever seen something like I suggest. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been very busy lately, and not had much time to do anything but scan thru posts occasionally. However, I saw Peter's wax carvings and must say that they look exquisite. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished castings on this sword.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Valkyrja has really got my eye, it's not only the exquisite hilt, I also have a strong attraction to the blade with it's wide fuller, making this a wonderul double edged match to my Berserkr. In my humble opinion, other than Patrick Barta, nobody does Viking swords like Albion, of which I've had the opportunity to handle and wield several of Albion's Viking swords.
I'm quite attracted to the Knecht and the Dane, but the Valkyrja has taken the front burners of my interests. What is really conducive, is the fact that my wife also thinks this sword is exceptional and she understands that the Valkyrja is limited to 100 swords, just as my Vassal and she see's this as a plus to consider this sword with some serious contemplation.

I just cannot see passing the Valkyrja up Exclamation

Sincerely,

Bob

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Valkyrja Update
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: