Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your homemade blades (and other projects)!DIY Project Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next 
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Show Us Your homemade blades (and other projects)!         Reply with quote

I thought I could start a thread called this where we amateurs could show pics of our creations. Easy for folks to find good to share ideas in.

I´ll start...

Short utility seax inspired by a find from Jämtland, Sweden ca 850!

Battleknife inspired by finds from Danish/German bog ca 500!

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the knife my brother and I collaberated on. 4140 steel, solid oak grip. A fun project for two complete hacks.

Attachment: 124.74 KB
knive .JPG

Marton Pap

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!
Really nice blades!
Here are my running projects Happy
As you can see they are far from finished. If a have time I will work on them in the autumn. The feder may be interesting. The blade and the cross are simply cut out with laser from 52C steel and the blade is thinned by forging. The pommel is turned and the hole is hit into it. The aim is to have feders as fast and as cheep as possible to be able to equip a group quickly with quite useable stuff. Until now it took around 40USD. (Sorry for the poor guality pics)
Cheers

Attachment: 41.57 KB
1. másolat - Kép002.jpg

Attachment: 27.62 KB
Kép026.jpg

Attachment: 15.98 KB
Kép041.jpg

Attachment: 28.55 KB
Kép043.jpg

Last edited by Marton Pap on Mon 13 Aug, 2007 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Alessio J. Orlandi

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

very nice work. how can you have access to such a powerful laser? do you work in siderurgy?
Marton Pap

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are companies for doing that Happy I have the luck to have one in the range 15 minutes walking in the town where I live now. Try searching google for laser cutting steel to find one. Make precise plans preferably in dwg format or something like that. Its not the most elegant way to make swords (the first two ones are forged completely), but a really nice way to make feders Happy Btw: it's a nice way to get nice bands of steel although a bit expensive. (in my area it's hard to get small pieces of high carbon steel Sad ) A friend of mine is concerned in an other company like this at home, so the idea is from him Happy
Cheers
Sam Salvati

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some rough works. All forged, then the edge was put on with a grinder.

Attachment: 45.46 KB
3 more new knives.JPG

I've got a lust for life
Sam Salvati

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some more. Not very pretty but they are HIGH performance.

Attachment: 42.4 KB
Big knife3.JPG
Forged from 5160, now has a black parachord handle wrap, one of my earlier and best works yet.

Attachment: 43.69 KB
ring hiltF.JPG
same one from the first set with the leather wrap handle

Attachment: 30.63 KB
52100 bowie 1.JPG

Attachment: 59.84 KB
52100 bowie 2.JPG
52100 ball bearing steel bowie knife forged by me from 3/4 inch round bar.

I've got a lust for life
Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marton Pap wrote:
There are companies for doing that Happy I have the luck to have one in the range 15 minutes walking in the town where I live now. Try searching google for laser cutting steel to find one. Make precise plans preferably in dwg format or something like that. Its not the most elegant way to make swords (the first two ones are forged completely), but a really nice way to make feders Happy Btw: it's a nice way to get nice bands of steel although a bit expensive. (in my area it's hard to get small pieces of high carbon steel Sad ) A friend of mine is concerned in an other company like this at home, so the idea is from him Happy
Cheers

Marton,
Great work, i like the feder's a lot. Could you provide some specs on them please? We had tried getting some made up here but i was unable to source any decent carbon steel and the laser cutters that i was dealing with showed very little interest in small jobs. Its a huge pity though as our design was almost identical to yours.
Christopher
Marton Pap

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, but the blades went to be hardened and I don't remember exactly. There is a lighter and a heavier version. As far as I remember the heavier is around 1500g mounted. The pommel is around 500g, a bit heavy for the blade, but that's expected from a feder. The overall length was originally 1200mm but drawed out a bit by forging and then the tip was bent back to form a ring for safer thrusting. The heavier was cut out of 6mm the lighter from 4mm thick sheet. The lighter one has the same mountings, so the balance is drawn back even further. They are in "experimental stage". If I will have a little time, I will finish and "test" them in September.
Regards!
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New Seax!

I forged this blade last friday evening when me and my friend had a few beers and did some ironwork. Today I made the handle and I plan on finisching a scabbard for it soon. It is a blunt knife for reenactment fighting.

Last edited by Martin Wallgren on Tue 14 Aug, 2007 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marton Pap wrote:
Hi!
Really nice blades!
Here are my running projects Happy
As you can see they are far from finished. If a have time I will work on them in the autumn. The feder may be interesting. The blade and the cross are simply cut out with laser from 52C steel and the blade is thinned by forging. The pommel is turned and the hole is hit into it. The aim is to have feders as fast and as cheep as possible to be able to equip a group quickly with quite useable stuff. Until now it took around 40USD. (Sorry for the poor guality pics)
Cheers

I would be interested in learning more about this economical way of working by laser cutting.

I also have several requests from reenactment groups but they want to go the el cheapo way, while I usually forge el Gucci way, with hammer and first quality argentinian charcoal (35 dollars per sack ..)

I will reserve charcoal for me and connoisseurs.
Marton Pap

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bruno!
To be precise, this time the laser is the comfortable part too, not mainly the economical. The main point which is intended to make the stuff cheep is what you said in your post:
Quote:
I will reserve charcoal for me and connoisseurs.
I strongly agree with it. In this case the feder design was chosen because it sacrifices all unneeded features and had the advantages of a practice weapon and the ability to minimise the amount of forging. Just like aluminum wasters. For cutting, the laser was chosen mainly because of its accuracy, availability, some comfort, my shop wasn't functional when this project started Happy and maybe mainly, it really fits the feder design (and maybe the whole idea of it Happy ). The price of it is reasonable, and can be lowered by multi pieces orders.
Best regards!
Marton
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One question on making your own knives, where can I secure brass for furniture? I wanted to fabricate some ferrules for my project, but where to get brass (or bronze) online or otherwise? Is there a place I can buy it in wire and sheet form? I know there are places to buy blade furniture premade, but this is by definition very limiting.
J. Pav

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yataghan-inspired fighting knife. Ground out from 1/8" thick O-1 toolsteel flatstock. Ironwood handle-slabs. 1/8" diamater mosaic pins from Texas Knifemaker Supply. Heat-treated by John Lundemo and Sam Salvati, for which I am very thankful.

Michael Mercier

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a knife I made a couple years ago. It is the only thing I've done and I think it turned out nice with some really clean lines. I wrapped the handle in 550 cord.

Mike

Attachment: 64.4 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 91.78 KB
[ Download ]
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
Sgian Dubh I made for my son, last time I tried this for myself was about 35 years ago and it got consigned to the bin about 34 11/12 years ago, more patience these days I hope. Materials, mid section from a broken blade reworked, bolster a bit cut from a small steel angle bracket, handle is made from oak salvaged from a Victorian wardrobe. Tools, measure, vice, 5'' angle grinder, punch, various files, sandpaper, glue and some peaceful days in the garage. Hope you like it.
Regards,
Norman.
P.S. Scabbard at present glued and left happily in a vice until tomorrow.
Dan Crowther

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a couple of the blades I've made over the years.

[/i]

Dan Crowther - aka Gobae
Historic Strides Blog
Ancient Celtic Clans
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello!
Great topic, great works!
Here is one sword, what I made. Altogether I made 3 swords. This is the second, the third one isn't finished yet, and about the first one I don't have any good picture. When I will have some usable photos of them, I will post them.
Cheers!

Attachment: 118.5 KB
[ Download ]
Nick I

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Show your homemade blades!         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
I thought I could start a thread called this where we amateurs could show pics of our creations. Easy for folks to find good to share ideas in.

I´ll start...

[ig]http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/download.php?id=15660[/img]
Short utility seax inspired by a find from Jämtland, Sweden ca 850!

Battleknife inspired by finds from Danish/German bog ca 500!

I like the battleknife allot I must say Wink hehe
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here´s a groupphoto of my seaxes and knifes. The longest has a blade length of 55 cm.

I have made all of them myself exept the little utility knife. All are forged and handgrinded.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your homemade blades (and other projects)!DIY Project
Page 1 of 9 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: