Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ? Nydam Helmet question. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: ? Nydam Helmet question.         Reply with quote

I have only ever dreamed of this helmet but I seem to recall a helmet been among the one of the bog finds in scandinavia, it may be Nydam. The helmet could have been a Roman Parade/Sports cavalry helmet, I remember it was unusual in that it may have had basket construction on the dome, but what appeared to be possibly tubular circumferential band /and facial-cheek guards. It's possible it may have been Frisian, but for film buffs out there if you can recall Charlton Heston 'The Warlord' ,the Frisian Jarl wears one very similar to what I remember. It may be that the helmet was lost during the one of the World Wars. Please help me solve what may be me just having a senior moment.
and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm afraid I've never seen "The Warlord"....but your description sounds vaguely like the Ultuna helm.....
Hope this helps,
Dan
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Dan, no I'm familiar with this helmet. After a bit of digging through various sites about bog deposits I came across an image of the actual helmet, it does appear to be a Roman cavalry helmet, which I guess is no surprise with the number of other Roman Equipment items been found in these deposits. I've attached an image of the helmet that is displayed with other military items from the deposit . If anyone has any further images or information concerning this particular helmet I would be very interested. During my search I came across a couple of interesting articles on the weapon offerings at Illerup. Check out articles at www.illerup.dk if anyone is interested.

Attachment: 36.63 KB
thorsberg.jpg

Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy The only picture i have find of it, and it says Thorsbjerg Moss helmet

1. Gold Collar from Oland.
2. Masked Helmet from Thorsbjerg Moss.
3. Drinking-horn.
4. Portion of a Damascened Sword from Nydam.
5. Bronze Sword Grip decorated with gold and garnets.

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basket construction ?

1) Light and cool with good air circulation ?

2) Economical use of materials ?

3) Just a style ?

4) Could it be a structure reinforcing a hardened leather covering either outside. inside or with the basket work inside a double layer of boiled leather ? A bit like a leather/steel sandwich ?

5) A combination of all or many of the above ?

No proof I know about the combined use of hardened leather and basket construction, but it seems a question work asking.
( For this specific helm or maybe any period: Some " secrète " type helmets meant to be hidden under a hat did exist in the 16th or 17th centuries I think ? Spider bar helmets if I remember correctly also used basket/bar construction ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The face and the basket-work dome probably don't go together. Both items are shown in "The Spoils of Victory: The North in the Shadow of the Roman Empire", and I recall some discussion about how they came to be associated with each other in reconstructions. Just leafed through the book, though, and couldn't find that specific article, sorry. But as I recall, the dome might not even be part of a helmet--it looks kind of small. I'm wondering if it might be an eye covering for a horse's sports armor, though it's not like those found in Germany. In any case, it is certainly NOT from a *Roman* helmet, though the mask is.

Valete,

Matthew

PS: Wonderful book, by the way!! ISBN 87-7602-006-1
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats the one Patrick, corresponds to the one in in the image I posted previously. As far as I am aware it's unique in that the mask looks Romano, but the dome is of a basket construction noted amongst other 'native' helmets of the Vendel/ Valsgarde/Ultuna type. I wonder what date this helm has been attributed to and if it predates the Vendel culture period?
The sword pommel is a type used for a number of centuries.

Speidal has argued for the crested basket type helm to be a germanic form and not evolved from the Roman/Sassanid ridge helmets, citing their appearance on Germanic warriors on Trajans column.

It's highly conjectural but perhaps this helm bears this out with regard to the basket construction, been married to a Romano 'mask' by a local smith in much the same way that imported blades where given hilt garniture to suit local tastes.

personally Jean I do believe that a hardened leather liner was used in the basket type helms, possibly dyed or painted for effect.

Thanks guys, for me an an intriguing helmet.

David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry Mathew , seems that we where both replying at the same time and I missed your reply. I think we both partially come to the same conclussion, ie they are seperate parts. I'll check the book out and see if it's still avavailable. Thank you.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ? Nydam Helmet question.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic