Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A good swordplay - jousting - medieval game? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone have the mod pack of Albion swords for M&B....I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore. If not ,could anyone tell me which mods utilize them?
Thanks,
Dan
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you ever played Rune?
Its about a viking who fights against darves and other vikings and its a third person tomb riber-like game. You can use swords, axes, shields, hammers and there is a lot of arms, and heads flying away. Very bloody.

¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨
Zak N. Stansell

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It all depends on what you are looking for, of course, but I've heard that the Wyvern Crown expansion to Neverwinter Nights has jousting, and has been well reviewed. Disclaimer: I have not played Wyvern Crown myself, though I have played the other expansions and enjoyed them. As I said, it all depends on what you are looking for.
Matthew R.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grayson C. wrote:
Age of Empires II (get the expansion too)- it's what started my interest in the middle ages

Medieval Total War - Fun, more detailed than all of the others, I'd say, but I think AoE2 has it beat by a long shot

Empire Earth - some parts of the game deal with the middle ages, although it touches on all parts of human eras - stone age to digital :P

Stronghold II - one of my all time favorite games, focuses on castle warfare and is extremely addictive. Imagine sim city meats the middle ages. You need to be an expert at economy related issues as well as warfare. Words cannot express how fun this game is Laughing Out Loud

I'll try to think of more. If you had to pick a single one from these lists, go to AoE2. Stronghold II would be my second choice though.

In case yoyu weren't aware, CA has releaseed Medieval 2: Total War which is better than the frist by far. You can find infor about it here: www.totalwar.com

Also, be sure to play the game with one of the many mods available for it. They can be found here: www.twcenter.net

There is no game that represents Middle Age combat, dipolmacy, politics and all out war!
Toni Lozica

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did anybody ever try Morrowind, Gothic 1,2&3, Oblivion, Dark Messiah of might and magic.
These are RPGs what should actually be most fun for people like us who like to work with armor, different types of weaponry etc.
Give it a try. Specially Morrowind has huge possibilities with weapons and armour.
Gothic 2 has better sword fight elements. All nice in their own way.
Note as far as I could see almost all games mentioned in previous posts are strategy and not going deeper in individual equipment of player self.

Parce mihi Domine quia Dalmata sum!
Matthew R.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have actually played all of those games, but they all lack something in depth as far as I am concerned. Also, one needs to keep in mind that these are fantasy games as opposed to being historically based. Still, I would agree, that they are the games that come closest to up close melee combat.
Lee Craven

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Toni Lozica wrote:
Did anybody ever try Morrowind, Gothic 1,2&3, Oblivion, Dark Messiah of might and magic.
These are RPGs what should actually be most fun for people like us who like to work with armor, different types of weaponry etc.
Give it a try. Specially Morrowind has huge possibilities with weapons and armour.
Gothic 2 has better sword fight elements. All nice in their own way.
Note as far as I could see almost all games mentioned in previous posts are strategy and not going deeper in individual equipment of player self.

Played them all and found them lacking for what the initial poster is asking about. Not that I disliked them mind you.
Mount and Blade is the only one that feels right to me as someone who has regularly participated in weaponplay both in training and full contact bouting since 84. It has a ways to go before it right, but it has it, the feel, the chaos along with timing and distance ect.
Lee Craven

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUcGgvZ4vxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM4zmyJql-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWw4-JQOD88
Toni Lozica

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You tube films really do look good. However I've downoladed trial version this evening and was playing for some hours.
It is indeed somewhat chaotic. That is probably very realistic but what is always bothering me with most games is that gameplay actually can never be really very realistic. I mean, when one is fighting in real situation the angle one sees is much wider then any camera .
I never did any weaponplay trainig but have done some sword dance with real blows. The feeling I have then is not what these games give me, concerning space, openness of view and feeling of combatness.
Sword dance is called Moreska. Check You tube, there are some films there.
Anyhow I must admit that when and if I ever manage to learn controls very good it could be good.
For the time being I'm getting killed by any bandit I confront. Tournaments are going OK but fun is not that good. Happy))

Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The mods man, the mods! the combat does kind of seem chaotic at first untill you get the hang of it (my record so far is 34 kills by my self in one conflict) The game gets pretty boring but I see it as more of a training for the mods. I am playing 1066 sicily mod right now and it is freaking awesome. the Holy War mod is going to be killer, and its just plain sad that the hundredyears war mod got tanked...stick with the game a little while longer and you will see what i mean.
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My experience with Mount & Blade is that they are trying but are still so far away. For example, you start in no guard and once you ready your weapon to strike you are committed to a set strike. You should be able to choose a guard from whence you are already "read" and then have options as to how you strike and based on your guard. And then they still have the level up trappings of the the classic RGP's. It shouldn't matter if you are lever 5 or level 50, a thrust to the face ruins you day. If they spent more time on the combat aspect than the leveling aspect then it could really stand out.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Lee Craven

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes Greg, but in comparison to everything else out there...

I know one of the developers of the new Conan MMO and it sounds like they will have some real similarities to MnB in the combat area also.

Nice sig btw. :-)
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've taken notice of the coming Connan MMO. It looks like it has potential. That you may have the ear of one of the developers sounds pretty good too. Now that's an idea...invite video game developers to HEMA events or have HEMA groups give demonstrations to game developers. It's not unheard of to have developers for shooters bring in gun experts or go out to the range. Why couldn't our community engage with the developers of sword combat games and show them how it's *really* done?
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Lee Craven

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They are using a HEMA practioner I believe from the Netherlands whose name I recognized, but cannot recall at the moment for advice and motion capture sequences for the Conan game. :-)
Toni Lozica

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Who is this Dutch advisor guy? What's his name and references?

Where can I download mods for Mount and Blade?

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M&B mods can be downloaded from;
http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/index.php

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Lee Craven

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Toni Lozica wrote:
Who is this Dutch advisor guy? What's his name and references?

Where can I download mods for Mount and Blade?

I can't recall, but if I did I probably shouldn't say without permission anyways, not that I'm under an NDA or anything, just courtesy.

M&B has had a lot of pressure to incorporate proper guards and such, but we will see. At the moment when you are familiar enough you can use some pretty good form. I mainly play from horseback though.
Toni Lozica

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for link for mods. Have another question.
Is it better to wait until I reach higher level or just go and download?

Lee Craven

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You will have to create a new character either way.
Also, if you are only using the trial version you can only advance to level six.
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M&B looks really promising.

In regards to the "technique", on foot fighting is not too difficult in a duelling situation as soon as 4+ are pressing in for me the chances are nuts. On horseback, on the other hand, to hit is only luck. What can I do with this. I hope I can get a license key soon, level 6 was reached too easyly.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A good swordplay - jousting - medieval game?
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: