Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Who would you go to...? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Who would you go to...?         Reply with quote

Ok, who would you go to if you found an historical record of a sword that you loved on sight, and wanted to have a quality reproduction made for your collection?

I recently picked up my own copy of Ewart Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval sword, and on page 121 is a beautiful (in my humble opinion) Type XIV single-hand sword.

Your input is welcome, all!
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

there are quite a few custom blacksmiths on your side of the pond ,but most have waiting lists of years and years.
im sure someone who lives over there will tell you soon.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A full-on custom, you mean? European-style?

Either Vince Evans or Peter Johnnson.
Personally, I'd lean towards Vince, but just because I'm more familiar with his work (which truly is awesome).

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, for my first custom piece I went to Arms and Armor. I've been very impressed with all of their production work so far, and have seen a custom rapier of theirs up close, so I knew I'd be safe in their hands.

I ordered at the very end of November, and the rapier should be here in the next couple of weeks. I'm so excited!

Though I'd do some pretty despicable things to get a custom sword made by Vince Evans.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Good Choices here         Reply with quote

Another route you could go is this: see if ALbion would sell you a blank blade matching the one you like. Contact my friend Patrick Hastings and have him make you some fittings to match! Perhaps even Albion soulc do the custom fittings too, but you' have to talk to them. Certainly nothing "wrong" with the custom smiths mentioned above. Vince, Peter, Kevin Cashen. There are some out there. Certainly everyone forgets that Arms&Armor will take on custom commissions now and again. Just remember that Vince, Peter and Kevin are "one-man shops" and thus have waiting lists of a few years by now. If you are willing to wait, it is well worth it. Cool thing is that even 5 years ago you only had one choice...custom or nothing.

Joel
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I recently found out that Vince Evans is not taking custom orders.

I had John Lundemo of OdinBlades make me an historically correct Southeast Asian dha, and I was very pleased with his work. He's done a lot of fantasy and Lord of the Rings inspired stuff, but I bet he'd do historic European swords quite nicely.

"I gave 'em a sword. And they stuck it in, and they twisted it with relish.
And I guess if I had been in their position, I'd have done the same thing."
-Richard Milhous Nixon
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Others have mentioned good options in the thread already but sometimes the issue is not who you want to do the work. Sometimes its how long will it take, how much will it cost, and will they take the commission. The big names as mentioned often have very long lines at their door or are not taking new work.

A&A really is an often overlooked option that does have a more rapid turn time than many other custom makers.

If there is an Atrim or Albion blade that will work you might try Christian Fletcher to see if he would do custom work. I'm sure he could but he may not want to.

Lundemo seems to be doing some nice stuff and may not be as backed up as the big guns yet.

Maybe Patrick Barta or Pavel Moc out of CZK.

Craig Sitch at Manning Imperial (Aus) might be an option too.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I heartily second the recommendation of Arms and Armor from personal experiece I can say that they do outstanding custom work. Also in my opinion two badly underrated smiths are Jake Powning in Canada and Rob Miller in Scotland.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Erik D. Schmid

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A&A without a doubt.
http://www.erikds.com
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I truly appreciate all the suggestions given here. I have yet to contact A&A or Albion (this will be rectified in the next few days Wink ), but I have sent inquiries to Pavel Moc, Vlad Cervenka and Patrick Barta in Czechoslovakia. I really like what I see on Mr. Barta's webpage, as well as some of the work on Mr. Cervenka's site.

Again, I appreciate all these ideas and recommendations, and I hope to hear more!

-- Carl Croushore

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Who would you go to...?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic