Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Progress on next Valiant design Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Djordje Mandrapa

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Sword is really beautiful!

I am sorry for my ignorance but I wanted to ask you, if you can say something about historical precision of that sword and in which historical period would it take place?

Thank you very much!

www.stratilat.org
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Djordje Mandrapa wrote:
The Sword is really beautiful!

I am sorry for my ignorance but I wanted to ask you, if you can say something about historical precision of that sword and in which historical period would it take place?

Thank you very much!

Hopefully the historical period that sword will take place in is my backyard one month from now. I have one on pre-order, and I can't wait. Heh.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been watching the progress of this line with much interest over the last couple years. Thought about doing a preorder, but I am going to wait to see when they are actually delivered and read some reviews first. I am eager to see what people have to say and if its all good, I am adding one of these to my growing 'to order' list! Big Grin
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I've been watching the progress of this line with much interest over the last couple years. Thought about doing a preorder, but I am going to wait to see when they are actually delivered and read some reviews first. I am eager to see what people have to say and if its all good, I am adding one of these to my growing 'to order' list! Big Grin

I'll certainly be doing a review of my 'Bristol' when I get it... it's the one I've been most excited about.

I had a Castile Practical eddition that I sold, and I still have a Castile Signature Eddition (which I will probably have to sell soon. Ugh.) so anything you want to know about those, ask.
Paul Clark

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Sean         Reply with quote

What did you think of your Castile Signature edition in terms of feel, quality of construction, fit, finish, balance, etc?

close to ordering a "Bristol" and want to avoid a bad experience.

thanks
Paul
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sean         Reply with quote

Paul Clark wrote:
What did you think of your Castile Signature edition in terms of feel, quality of construction, fit, finish, balance, etc?

close to ordering a "Bristol" and want to avoid a bad experience.

thanks
Paul

The Castile is a really nice sword. It's a little blade heavy for my tastes but not overly so for it's type. The construction is rock solid and she gives off a nice ring when cutting. No serious vibration when used and the blade is rather forgiving. The grip is better then swords I've seen at higher price points and the guard and pommel have no casting flaws I can see. The finish is a nice easy to maintain satin. It's not a nice as an Albion or A&A, but it's also not $1000. The scabbard is VERY nice for a sword at this price point or even a little higher one. My only complaints about the sword and scabbard is.......

The sword, while very cut friendly, is not very quick to recover. She's a cleaver. This is really not all the uncommon for this type so I think this complaint falls under personal preference more then design.

The scabbard is not stitched, but glued. This really isn't that big of a deal as the whole set is under $400 so you can't really expect a hand stitched scabbard for that price.

All in all she's a good buy that I believe someone on a budget would be hard pressed to find a better sword, or a better deal, at this price point.

Winter is coming
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

I must have missed it. Looked on CF website but can't seem to find out if the pommels are peened on these. I think the designs look great, love the scabbard and belt being included, but not really interested in an ahistorical hex nut assembly on pommels.

I know that is how Gus' swords are usually made and was hoping CF's swords, including this line with Valiant. were peened assembly.

Thank you to whoever can shed some light on this for me.

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Terry,
Unfortunately, I believe that they are a hex nut asembly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
Dan
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dan. I must say it is very disappointing, I had been excited about these swords...
Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can make it a pean by purchasing a longer tube nut, screwing it on, and peaning it over with a torch.

http://yeoldegaffers.com/the_peen.asp

Not exactly what he did, but it's not too difficult at all. If I get a Kriegschwert, that is possibly one thing I'd do to it.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Progress on next Valiant design
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: