Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Brigandine vs. Mail Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Brandon C.

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Brigandine vs. Mail         Reply with quote

Hi! First, let me just say that, after spending some time going through the special features, articles, and the forums that this website is an absolutely amazing source of information, and I am very happy to have found it!

I have a question for the forum, and I am hoping you can help me out:

I am interested in the practical differences between Brigandine armors and Mail - namely in terms of the protection offered.

I have spent a lot of time combing through the forums, and as a result, have been able to get a pretty good grasp on what constitutes mail, scale, lamellar, coat of plates, plate&mail, brigandine and jack of plate armors. While I was able to find a number of good discussions concerning, say the advantages of plate vs. mail, or mail vs. lamellar, I was not able to find much concerning mail vs. brigandine.

It would seem that brigandine eventually supplanted mail in the west, in a general way of speaking. The progression seems to be:

Mail ----> Coat of Plates ----> brigandine or Plate

...with mail seeing continued use in combination with the above armor types. (coat of plates or brigandine worn over mail, brigandine with mail sleaves, plate armor with mail to protect joints and fill gaps.)

Now, it seems to me that brigandine has the advantage over mail in that it is A) cheaper, faster and easier to construct, and B) lighter. These in themselves are reasons enough for brigandine to surplant mail. However, what I want to know is how does brigandine compare to mail in terms of protection? Was the protection offered by the two roughly equivilant, or was brigandine simply better all-round, or are there any advantages (vs. thrusts, cuts, bludgeoning, arrows, etc...) to remaining with the old fashioned mail hauberk?

Thank you so much for your help!
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that they both are not rigid is a weakness in the impacts the wearer would recieve but with the brigandine I think it would be less so but still be an issue. Another is piercing through the mail, especially the long thin bodkins, might find the brigandine plates a harder target. Another point to add to this is that likely under both one would have padded garment. this would help both impact and piercing some.

In England You go from mail to coat of plates or pair of plates to either
1) full or more full breastplate- eventually cuiraiss which is one of the last bits of armour discarded in the 18th/19th generally speaking. There is some debate as to where the line between Coat of Plates and Brigandine exists.... Some of the Wisby examples of Coat of Plates are Brig's by some definitions.

2)Brigandine to jack of plates somewhere in the very late 15th or early 16th. In the end this is replaced by the munitions cuiraiss later, by the end of the 16th more or less.

RPM
Andrew Babbini

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Brigandine         Reply with quote

From what I've seen of reproductions of brigs, their construction really isn't easy. Coat of plates, yeah it's time consuming but fairly easy (check out ToMAR for a nice detailed dissertation on CoPs.) But for brigandine, I'm not sure if it is on this site, but it is on Armour Archive, a fellow named Bob Reed did a repro of one. It was extremely in depth and it was more or less a rigid defense but of course had more flex to it than a solid cuirass. Also from what I've gathered about them is that a hauberk wasn't worn under them but had maille attached such as sleeves or even a brayette. Some even had faulds. I do have an picture of a pretty nice example. I can't remember where I got it from but if I did, I'd give credit where credit is due.

Respectfully,

Andrew

Attachment: 18.27 KB
_brig1.JPG

Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How common was brigandine defenses for the arms and legs, BTW? it seems fairly common in Asia, but I can't really recall many examples from Europe. So, when people mention "brigandine" in a European context, the image I usually get is a fitted armor for the torso coupled with either no limb defenses or plate limb defenses. Seen that way, the knee/elbow-length hauberk has the advantage of greater coverage, but the vest-like brigandine's solid plates give better defense against a broader array of attacks.

Of course, that's only valid when no other armor is worn--and when we're strictly talking about the brigandine "cuirass" (the "corazzina" in some modern classification systems. Asian brigandines--such as the armors of Qing Chinese infantry--tend to have a coverage that is quite close to the hauberk, so they're arguably more protective when worn on their own. Not when the European brigandine is coupled with good arm and leg defenses, plus a good sallet and bevor...
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There were also brigandine pauldrons(Scots Guards for egzample).

Making brigandine is a hard job.I recently started a project-prototype of the future series of brigandines.It has circa 200plates and 2000 rivets WTF?!

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Frances Perry
Industry Professional

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Brigandines Vs Mail         Reply with quote

Hi Brandon,

I have had some superficial research into brigandines and their development (Western European only I'm afraid), and how mail and plate were also used alongside them in lesser or greater amounts. It appears to me that from a full mail shirt the tendancy of progression has been to move towards small square plates sewn into a leather tabbard, as seen in the Wisbey coat of plates which fitted over the head and attached at the back of the wearer to a more fitted, almost doublet shaping (sometimes with pauldrons) which could have overlapping and smaller plates. Flexibility of the brigandine also improved towards the middle of the 15th century onwards as the plates got smaller and the whole brigandine became more shapely.

I often point out to member of the public with European flat ring rivited mail (Manufactured from 1.8mm mild steel wire flattened to give a 9mm internal diameter and woven using the 4 in 1 pattern) the disadvantages of mail when faced with a barrage of needle bodkin arrows - the arrow goes straight through the mail by a good 2 inches! Hence the need for either plate or some kind of padded / layered protection. In terms of thrusts and cuts - both mail and a brigandine stop draw cuts - but mail can sometimes fail under a full thrust - especially from something like a bill or the beak end of a poleaxe!. Full blows with a sword can also be stopped, but the force of the blow is not absorbed as well with mail - the undergarment is the thing that will absorb this - brigandines would have been worn with a padded jack or arming doublet of some kind, so they would absorb a blow much better. The later brigandines, with overlapping plates, would have spread the force of a blow by lessening the force of the impact toward the body. You can still get winded or knocked over though!!

The thing going for mail is its flexibility - which is why it was not phased out altogether - plate and a brigandine - and even padded / layered clothing - can only go so far before it starts to impede movement. Mail that remained covered areas which plate, etc could not - voiders (under the arms and the insides of the elbows), standard (round the throat), and skirt to protect the crotch and insides of the thighs. Mail doesn't - as far as I have seen - appear to have been used for the backs of the legs / knees though.

In terms of weight, I agree that the brigandine can be slightly lighter than a mail shirt (all dependent on the guage of steel that it used), however, with replicas I have tried on, the varying weights become negligable when the item is put on as the weights are distributed over the body / shoulders. Once one is used to wearing something of that weight, the difference between the two become pretty negligable. Put a chainmail shirt in a bag and try to carry it - then put it on and carry it that way instead - the difference becomes clear. the same happens with a brigandine - though admittedly the weight is focused over a smaller area of the shoulders, and can use different back muscles depending on how well fitting the brigandine is!

Making them - I would have said that both the mail and the brigandine are equally complex to construct -both in their general construction, or in the time required to produce such a thing by hand. As previously mentioned, mail was, in later periods, being used in smaller amounts for the more vulnerable areas, and padded / layered clothing was preferred as it was easier (ahem!) to make and cheaper for the common soldier. Brigandines and plate were more expensive because of the costs involved due to time and construction by the armourer. Embleton comments that Brigandines appear in lists and accounts all over Europe and that their manufacture was controlled for quality - many being “proved” by having a crossbow bolt shot at them - something you would not want to happen when wearing mail and padded clothing!

Unfortunately, both brigandines and mail both appear to have become less widely used as firepower became more prevalent on the battlefield.

Hope this helps you with your discussions - it is a very interesting subject, and if I have made any glaring mistakes in my comments, my apologies! Big Grin

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Frances Perry
Industry Professional

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
How common was brigandine defenses for the arms and legs, BTW? it seems fairly common in Asia, but I can't really recall many examples from Europe. So, when people mention "brigandine" in a European context, the image I usually get is a fitted armor for the torso coupled with either no limb defenses or plate limb defenses. Seen that way, the knee/elbow-length hauberk has the advantage of greater coverage, but the vest-like brigandine's solid plates give better defense against a broader array of attacks.

Of course, that's only valid when no other armor is worn--and when we're strictly talking about the brigandine "cuirass" (the "corazzina" in some modern classification systems. Asian brigandines--such as the armors of Qing Chinese infantry--tend to have a coverage that is quite close to the hauberk, so they're arguably more protective when worn on their own. Not when the European brigandine is coupled with good arm and leg defenses, plus a good sallet and bevor...

Can't say that I've seen any examples - from 15th century manuscripts that is - of brigandines being used for leg or arm protection (other than pauldrons). Brigandine for me generally means a tabbard or doublet shaped torso protection, which may also have had the added protection of some plate for the lower torso (such as a plackart) as well. The limbs were protected with varying degrees of padded/layered garments, strategically placed mail, and leather or plate armour.

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Steven H

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
There were also brigandine pauldrons(Scots Guards for egzample).

That sounds neat. Do you have pictures and/or references. I'd be interested to learn more about that.

Thanks,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Steven H

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Brigandine vs. Mail         Reply with quote

Brandon C. wrote:

Now, it seems to me that brigandine has the advantage over mail in that it is A) cheaper, faster and easier to construct, and B) lighter. These in themselves are reasons enough for brigandine to surplant mail. However, what I want to know is how does brigandine compare to mail in terms of protection? Was the protection offered by the two roughly equivilant, or was brigandine simply better all-round, or are there any advantages (vs. thrusts, cuts, bludgeoning, arrows, etc...) to remaining with the old fashioned mail hauberk?

Thank you so much for your help!

Perhaps I can summarize this question with: "Why did brigandine supplant mail for many uses?" I would suggest that brigandine is a superior amour to mail in most respects. The only difference being in terms of flexibility - mail continues to be used in areas of maximum needed flexibility. But flexibility is a liability in armour.

Why didn't they make brigs earlier then? Well, in a sense the design wasn't really new when it showed up in Medieval Europe (c. 14th century). It is quite similar to scale construction with similar advantages and limitations. The new thing, I suspect, was the manufacturing resources. Mail can be made with softer iron and may even be better that way. Brig requires plate steel. And we first see brigandines when plate steel becomes more common as a result of improvements in manufacturing capability.

So, my conclusion is: Brigandine is better except for the joints, but it required higher tech and manufacturing capacity.

Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brigandines Vs Mail         Reply with quote

Frances Perry wrote:
I often point out to member of the public with European flat ring rivited mail (Manufactured from 1.8mm mild steel wire flattened to give a 9mm internal diameter and woven using the 4 in 1 pattern) the disadvantages of mail when faced with a barrage of needle bodkin arrows - the arrow goes straight through the mail by a good 2 inches!

The problem with this is that historical mail was very very rarely made with links this large. Internal diameters were more often closer to 5-6mm. No arrow will penetrate this type of mail unless fired from a very heavy bow at short range. Not that I think that mail is superior to brigandines, except as has been said, for flexibility.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are plenty of mail items with ID over 5mm ID. I have not spent my life looking into this but to me the 4-5mm or so catagory down are aventails often. You can find extremes of course. It becomes difficult to use if the links are not flexible for the torso but for the neck it is quite useful to have a less mobile mail which would likely cut down penetration (which I do believe took place with mail but do not think it worth while to get into here ) and impact as it is more dense weaves. It would seem the more mobility required the less dense larger ID rings would be used. Here is a quick look at some of the larger rings from churburg armoury-

Churburg #3- 7.5mm- Sleeve
Chur #4- 8mm- hauberk
Chur #6 - 8.5mm- hauberk
Chur #8- 9mm-skirt

Andrew,

Awesome suit. Looks great. Very nice brigandine!

RPM
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a bit more about the brig in the photo, try this thread over at FireStryker:

http://www.wolfeargent.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb...p;t=000377

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
There are plenty of mail items with ID over 5mm ID. I have not spent my life looking into this but to me the 4-5mm or so catagory down are aventails often. You can find extremes of course. It becomes difficult to use if the links are not flexible for the torso but for the neck it is quite useful to have a less mobile mail which would likely cut down penetration (which I do believe took place with mail but do not think it worth while to get into here ) and impact as it is more dense weaves. It would seem the more mobility required the less dense larger ID rings would be used. Here is a quick look at some of the larger rings from churburg armoury-

Churburg #3- 7.5mm- Sleeve
Chur #4- 8mm- hauberk
Chur #6 - 8.5mm- hauberk
Chur #8- 9mm-skirt

As I said, there are very few examples with inside diameters as large as 9mm. Even a reduction of only 1mm greatly enhances its ability to protect against points. 6mm was far more common than 9mm. The best mail had IDs as small as 4mm - especially in India and the Middle East
Daniel Hawley

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brigandines Vs Mail         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Frances Perry wrote:
I often point out to member of the public with European flat ring rivited mail (Manufactured from 1.8mm mild steel wire flattened to give a 9mm internal diameter and woven using the 4 in 1 pattern) the disadvantages of mail when faced with a barrage of needle bodkin arrows - the arrow goes straight through the mail by a good 2 inches!

The problem with this is that historical mail was very very rarely made with links this large. Internal diameters were more often closer to 5-6mm. No arrow will penetrate this type of mail unless fired from a very heavy bow at short range. Not that I think that mail is superior to brigandines, except as has been said, for flexibility.

Yes arrows will penetrate small links and at long range. The bodkin will force open a link and penetrate with no problem.
As for the range, an arrow is least effective at medium range where the arrow is being slowed down by the drag of the air. At longer range because the trajectory is higher the arrow reaches terminal velocity and it's effectiveness increases again.

Daniel
Steven H

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brigandines Vs Mail         Reply with quote

Daniel Hawley wrote:

Yes arrows will penetrate small links and at long range. The bodkin will force open a link and penetrate with no problem.
As for the range, an arrow is least effective at medium range where the arrow is being slowed down by the drag of the air. At longer range because the trajectory is higher the arrow reaches terminal velocity and it's effectiveness increases again.
Daniel

This assertion is inconsistent with historical accounts of the efficacy of mail as well as modern tests of reproduction mail. Anna Comnemna, Byzantine princess, remarked on how the Crusaders attacking Constantinople continued fighting with up to ten arrows stuck in their armour. And that is only the tip of the iceberg on mail consistently being a highly effective (but not perfect) armour against arrows.

Check the wikipedia page on mail and the talk page. Also consider the information on bodkins, which were made of soft iron and were not armour piercing.

This issue has been beaten to death so please search on the topic if wish to learn more on it, and resurrect one of those threads if you wish to contribute (instead of sullying this thread with the old arguments).

Respectfully,
Steven

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brigandines Vs Mail         Reply with quote

Daniel Hawley wrote:
Yes arrows will penetrate small links and at long range. The bodkin will force open a link and penetrate with no problem. As for the range, an arrow is least effective at medium range where the arrow is being slowed down by the drag of the air. At longer range because the trajectory is higher the arrow reaches terminal velocity and it's effectiveness increases again.

Daniel

The maximum velocity an arrow will reach is at the point it leaves the bow. There is no way that an arrow will penetrate any sort of mail at long range, let alone finer typologies.
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brigandines Vs Mail         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Daniel Hawley wrote:
Yes arrows will penetrate small links and at long range. The bodkin will force open a link and penetrate with no problem. As for the range, an arrow is least effective at medium range where the arrow is being slowed down by the drag of the air. At longer range because the trajectory is higher the arrow reaches terminal velocity and it's effectiveness increases again.

Daniel

The maximum velocity an arrow will reach is at the point it leaves the bow. There is no way that an arrow will penetrate any sort of mail at long range, let alone finer typologies.

To give you an idea of how good mail was...the best of modern reproduction mail, such as that made by Julio Junco, with alternating row rings, correctly riveted, about 7mm ID, will stop a 70lb compound bow firing optimal weight arrows with field points (essentially rounder bodkins) at 25 yards. 25 yards! That's point blank on the field of battle.

I tested a large sheet of this mail and will be posting the results soon.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Steven H

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Brigandines Vs Mail         Reply with quote

Daniel Hawley wrote:
At longer range because the trajectory is higher the arrow reaches terminal velocity and it's effectiveness increases again.

Daniel

One other point on arrow velocity: the terminal velocity of an arrow is in the range of thousands of feet per second (it's a highly aerodynamic object). That's around ten times the launch velocity. Terminal velocity plays no part in a discussion of arrows.

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Brigandines Vs Mail         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
Daniel Hawley wrote:

Daniel

To give you an idea of how good mail was...the best of modern reproduction mail, such as that made by Julio Junco, with alternating row rings, correctly riveted, about 7mm ID, will stop a 70lb compound bow firing optimal weight arrows with field points (essentially rounder bodkins) at 25 yards. 25 yards! That's point blank on the field of battle.

I think that english longbow was over 100lb.
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brigandines Vs Mail         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
Daniel Hawley wrote:

Daniel

I think that english longbow was over 100lb.

I also don't think that the English longbow shot its arrows at anywhere near 300 feet per second either. Happy

The point I was trying to make is that mail was tough stuff, a lot tougher than people give it credit for. A 70lb compound bow is sufficient to put a modern broadhead through a grizzly's rib cage. Not too shabby.

Also, somebody a lot smarter and better at math than I am said that a 70lb bow shooting 400 grain arrows delivers approximately the same impact force asa 150lb bow shooting 1600 grain arrows. I don't know if that's right or not, but it sounds good to me.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Brigandine vs. Mail
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: