Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Justin King: An extremely talented gentlemanProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Justin King: An extremely talented gentleman         Reply with quote

As you all know I typically post reviews on my site both of the items in my personal collection and also of many of the items that pass through my hands. Typically I just post a link to the newest review in an ongoing thread I've got in the manufacturers section, however I really wanted to make sure that Justin got the attention he deserves for his latest effort that he produced for me. If a moderator feels that this is inappropriate and wants to merge this thread with my normal one over in the manufacturers section I totally understand. Now the review...

Overall Length: 19.5 inches
Blade Length: 14.25 inches
Point of Balance: 0.75 inches from cross
Center of Percussion: xx inches from cross
Weight: 0.9 lbs
Rondel Diameter: 2 inches
Blade width at rondel: 1.25 inches
Blade width 2 inches from tip: 0.25 inches

Performance Review: For obvious reasons the performance of a dagger is substantially different then that of a sword, after all they are two entirely different tools. The rondel dagger is an even more specialized form of the dagger. The rondel is made for basically one thing, stabbing people, and heavily armored people in particular. Historically this specialization was approached in one of two ways with rondel daggers. Either the dagger would combine an acute point with an extremely thick spine and a single sharpened edge, or alternately the dagger could be double edged with an extremely thick midrib and acute pint. The thickness in the spine was necessary to keep the dagger from bending when encountering mail defenses. That is not to say that the rondel dagger is an all purpose armor piercing weapon, it is not... but it is more nearly so then many other dagger types. The rondel dagger that Justin made for me is a built using the single edged / thick spined principles noted above. This dagger combines an extremely acute point with an extremely thick spine (around 3/8ths of an inch). I don't own any mail to drive this dagger into (nor would I probably if I did) however I can say that this dagger balances extremely well in the hand, that the grip is comfortable, and that the rondels do a good job of locking a gloved hand into place. The dagger also did extremely well stabbing light targets.

Appearance: This is a gorgeous dagger. Justin really did a fantastic job with the fit and finish on this piece. Up to this point I own a couple of rondels from Tod's Stuff and the Rondel that Arms and Armor produces. All of them are very nice in the fit and finish department. Justin's effort may very well surpass all of them. The rondels themselves are carefully and exactingly executed with a pleasing filework pattern on the edges. The handle is turned ebony and completely smooth. The blade is absolutely perfect with nothing marring it's finish and is absolutely straith as well. The tolerances at the junctures of blade and grip are some of the tightest I've seen on either production or custom pieces. Overall a truly impressive package.

Conclusion: Justin is a fantastic talent in the area of making rondel daggers. The dagger that he created for me falls well within historical patterns in form and construction and is some of the nicest cleanest work I've seen coming from a relatively unknown maker in quite some time. I fully expect that Justin will eventually find himself snowed under with orders because not only is his work outstanding but his prices are, bluntly put, far to low for what he is producing. I was so impressed that I commissioned another rondel dagger from him immediately. I have every expectation that I will be equally pleased with the next project.

To the normal review on my site I would like to add that in addition to being a fine craftsman Justin is extremely easy to work with. In truth I mostly just said "I want a rondel sort of like this picture" and let him go. Perhaps that is why things turned out as well as they did I couldn't say. I can say that he was very amenable to suggestions and asked the right questions when he needed to. He was very upfront about his timelines and did not make any promises he could not keep. He was always quick with his communication and shipped quickly after payment was received. You really couldn't ask for anything more. It's been my practice to attempt to pick out lesser known talent over the last few years. Sometimes that has not worked out to well, I've managed to get burned once or twice... but when it pays off... it REALLY pays off.

Thanks Justin!

Here are some pictures of a few of the Rondels I own for comparison along with some more shots of Justin's handiwork.

Attachment: 21.55 KB
100_3421b.JPG

Attachment: 25.71 KB
100_3422b.JPG

Attachment: 54.54 KB
100_3424b.JPG

Attachment: 26.1 KB
100_3426b.JPG

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards

Last edited by Russ Ellis on Mon 06 Aug, 2007 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Justin King         Reply with quote

Thanks Russ for posting those...they're fantsastic ! Theres something very cool about seeing the variation in styles and materials all lined up in a row like that, I love it. People keep raving about Justin's work and so I did a search but only got Justin King the famous guitarist ! ....so does he have a website ? Do you have a link for us ?

Thanks again,
Cheers !

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

When I get my A & A customs rondel I will still be 3 behind you or worse if you are getting more. Razz Laughing Out Loud

I've given Craig at A & A more latitude to do what he wants with mine as long as the general blade size and type is similar to my design: So, I told him " surprise me " . this is often the best way instead of micromanaging stuff.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! That's a very nicely done rondel. The shot of the four of them together are fantastic! I'm so envious......
Nick Winley

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A beautiful looking dagger.

Justin's work has been one of the main things that has inspired me to give knife making a go myself. This dagger is no exception. Fantastic.

"The Riddle of Steel. Yes! You know what it is, don't you boy."
Michael Clark

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have never been one to truly appreciate the fine weapon that we know as a rondel before. I've always disregarded the sheer effectiveness of it and been uncaring for the overall look of that style. But I must say, this one piece has certainly swayed those feelings: it is just THAT beautiful a piece of work.
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is beautiful Russ!

Since the title of the topic is "Justin King:" - I'm (re) posting a couple of pics of a couple of daggers that Justin made for me. Don't mean to steal any of your spotlight - just - as you said, that he gets the attention he deserves.

Gordon

Attachment: 46.95 KB
JFullLength.JPG

Attachment: 113.45 KB
HiltAngle.JPG

Attachment: 66.8 KB
HiltOutside.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon, thanks for posting this other rondel and ballock knive. Cool

Russ: I forgot to add that it's a very attractive piece. Blush Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, Justin really deserves the credit, all I did was foot the bill and take the pictures.

Gordon, no problem at all with posting some more of Justin's work. This thread was really meant to highlight his efforts not show off my toys. Actually I owe you a bit of gratitude, it was seeing your rondel that convinced me that I needed to contact Justin. So thanks!

Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very flattered by the comments, thanks everyone, and especially to Gordon and Russ for taking a chance on me. I have never had the opportunity to compare my work with some of the higher-end products out there ( I started making them because I can't really afford to buy them) and I am really surprised and pleased that it seems to compare so well. Thanks also to Nathan and myArmoury for supporting and encouraging interest in arms and armor, without the community we have here I would not be where I am in my craft.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Clark wrote:
I have never been one to truly appreciate the fine weapon that we know as a rondel before. I've always disregarded the sheer effectiveness of it and been uncaring for the overall look of that style. But I must say, this one piece has certainly swayed those feelings: it is just THAT beautiful a piece of work.

Hey Michael,

I have to admit to feeling the same way, I was much more interested in sword hilted daggers (ironic since I STILL don't own one) for a long time. However I happened to run across Todd's Stuff and that's what started the madness.

The variations of style and materials juxtaposed with the need to solve essentially the same problem, that is "how to make a very stiff dagger with a suitable point" is a fascinating exercise to me.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are really nice looking...I can't begin to express how vexing it is to find myself between jobs and unable to buy toys!

Oddly I never thought I liked rondel daggers until about two years ago...then I got an unexpected fascination with them. I only have my one from ARMA Bohemia, but I suspect I'll add at least one more someday. Unfortunately Justin's wait will probably be into the years, just like seemingly everyone else, by the time I can do anything. Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have a great deal of interest in daggers in general, nor in rondels daggers in particular, though I have seen a few special pieces posted around myArmoury that have piqued my interest. Justin King's latest effort for Russ Ellis looks very impressive, and threatens to sway my interest a bit. I really like that piece. Congratulations, Russ. Well done, Justin.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Justin King: An extremely talented gentlemanProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic