Going to Europe- Where to GO?
So I'm, going to Spain for a semester to study abroad in Madrid. I am a History student and a lover of ancient and medieval arms and armor, and warfare. Having never been to Europe before, the idea of being in the countries that I have read about is pretty exciting. Im going to have some time to travel to other countries and I was wondering what are some of the necessary sights and places to see while I am over there? I have the opportunity to go pretty much wherever I want so distance is not a problem. Any help is appreciated!
You could head northeast to Austria, hitting the Museo Stibbert in Florence, Landezeughaus in Graz and
Künsthistoriches Museum in Vienna.

You could head northwest to Leeds (Royal Armouries) and York (York Castle Museum, Jorvik Viking Center, etc) hitting the Armory of the Dukes of Burgundy in the Koninklijk Museum van het Leger en de Krijgsgeschiedenis, Brussels. The downside is that the dollar is so weak in the UK that there's no longer any such thing as inexpensive travel there for Americans, especially if you don't have a car (which allows you to get off the beaten path and take advantage of country B&Bs). The Wallace Collection is fantastic, of course, but I'd suggest just hopping off the train and spending a few hours there before heading off to Leeds or York. The cost of living in London is just outrageous for Americans. Expect to spend $250-$300 per day there unless you're willing to do the Hostel Flop and buy your food at grocery stores. If you do decide to stay in London, be sure to hit both the Museum of London and British Museum. Bloomsbury is a good place to look for cheap lodging as it's full of university students, has the British Museum and is almost dead-center between the Wallace Collectiona and MOL.
If you crave English and ancient arms & armour, catch a cheap flight to Dublin. The Irish Republic is on the Euro.

If you want to save some dough and see lesser-known collections, consider heading toward the southeast--Croatia, maybe, especially if you like Roman stuff. If you want to pick up some very cool reproduction arms and armour and save barrels of cash on shipping, head to the Czech Republic. Prague is wonderful, with good collections of a&a, and is home to Best Armour, which offers (still) good bargains on armour. You could order now and pick up your helmet, etc. in person. I Forget exactly where Arma Bohemia is located, but, of course, it's somewhere in Bohemia, near Prague if not in Prague. AB does excellent work, as far as I can tell.
If you're going to be in Madrid, you definitely should make time for the Real Armeria. That's where much of Charles V's armour is, plus a lot more.

I'd second Sean's recommendations, especially the Wallace Collection. In France, there's the Louvre, the Musee de le Armee, and a couple of others worth seeing.

In Italy, there's the Stibbert, Churburg castle, and many small regional museums.
I would check out what Castles are in the area of Madrid or the rest of Spain if you are interested in military architecture.
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I would check out what Castles are in the area of Madrid or the rest of Spain if you are interested in military architecture.

I second this. Spain has a ton of beautiful and relatively intact castles. I've been there four times, mainly touring to look at castles, and every time I've run up against something new.
Vikingship museum in Roskilde, Denmark if you are even remotely interested in Vikings.
To get to all the mentioned places from spain will cost him the money of at least one well fitted suit of armour.

Donīt forget the armoury of Churburg in Southern Tirol. I will be able to visit it in September.

The Wallace collection is really great unfortunately they donīt allow to take photos.
Felix R. wrote:
The Wallace collection is really great unfortunately they donīt allow to take photos.

Not true anymore, according to Tobias Capwell, their new curator (in a thread around here somewhere). Photos are allowed with a special badge/pass from the front desk.
Thx Chad, that is good to hear. Unfortunately I wonīt be able to visit London too soon.

Well then, dear Garrett, hush hush, you heard our fellow forumites. Take your digital camera and go everywhere in Europe to get us a good set of pictures on historial arms and armour.
I have to second what Felix R. just said: Please share with us what you find in your travels.
Cheers.
Portugual has some splendid castles as well, and is very conveniently located.
Chad Arnow wrote:
If you're going to be in Madrid, you definitely should make time for the Real Armeria. That's where much of Charles V's armour is, plus a lot more.

I'd second Sean's recommendations, especially the Wallace Collection. In France, there's the Louvre, the Musee de le Armee, and a couple of others worth seeing.

In Italy, there's the Stibbert, Churburg castle, and many small regional museums.

I had the pleasure of visiting Madrid and Toledo last week. Truly beautiful places which I hope to see again next summer. :cool:

The Real Armeria is rather impressive if you are into very late period uber-decorated harness and saddles. Not much in the way of medieval armour though. (Not that it should be missed in any case.) Apparently other private museums in Madrid house some armour and weapons as well. I didn't get to them.

Toledo is a stunning collection of fortfied walls and narrow streets full of tourist traps. Loads of crappy Indian Sword and Armour like objects for sale everywhere. The cathedral is mind numbing in its vastness and wealth of collections. Plan for a day to view it in any depth.

Good fortune in your travels and studies. :!:
If you feel like to do Northern Italy you could pass trough Turin (Armeria Reale, mainly renaissance and baroque armor), then you could see Milan (Castello Sforzesco), then Venice (Armeria di Palazzo Ducale), after that you could go to Sudtirol visiting Churburg\'s Von Trapp castle (Sluderno in italian) .

Prices in euro could be high for people coming from the dollar area (change is quite unfavourable).
Chad Arnow wrote:

Chad,

Is there any reason in particular why you recommended the Louvre? It's fantastic if you want to see artwork of all types throughout history. But, in terms of arms and armour, it really isn't so good. There's only a couple of harnesses, a couple painted rotella, a Cinquedea or two, and the so-called "Sword of Charlemagne". I can certainly say that I felt a bit frustrated that it had so few examples of arms and armour, given that they can be excellent expressions of art as well as functioning as implements of war and duels.
Craig Peters wrote:
Chad,

Is there any reason in particular why you recommended the Louvre? It's fantastic if you want to see artwork of all types throughout history. But, in terms of arms and armour, it really isn't so good. There's only a couple of harnesses, a couple painted rotella, a Cinquedea or two, and the so-called "Sword of Charlemagne". I can certainly say that I felt a bit frustrated that it had so few examples of arms and armour, given that they can be excellent expressions of art as well as functioning as implements of war and duels.

Sure. It's one of those must-see museums of the world. :) Its arms and armour selection might be somewhat limited compared to some others, but it has some very famous examples that shouldn't be passed up. Manouchehr's pictures were enough to make me want to go see it.

If you're going to see other things and museums in Paris anyway, you'd be missing out by not stopping.

There's so much other art there, too. Surely some must be good for studies of period clothing and/or arms and armour. I went to the Chicago Art Institute a couple of months ago. I enjoyed the medieval and renaissance art as much as I enjoyed the arms and armour gallery. The paintings helped put the weapons into a context they lack in a vitrine by themselves. I had a similar experience at the Met back in the early Spring.

You don't have to visit one of the world's great museums solely for arms and armour, do you? :) Museums are about more than that. The Louvre is one of the greats and appears to have some worthwhile arms and armour pieces in it in addition to a ton of great art.
A few words...
The south of France is beautiful, however, if you want an unforgettable experience, Italy is that place to be. You just have ot see Florence, experience the gold corner, where they still mint Florens and stuff. Go to the Academia and take a look at ther mastery of Michealangelo's David. Truly a great place. Venice is beautiful, Turin is Great and Tuscany is breathtkaing. Now Rome is cool, but it is crowded and the police are a bit strict so just be careful. I just returned from Europe myself in May and I loved it. It is expensive, but ya gotta go and experience it.
Unfortunately on of the European armour rooms at the Wallace Collection has been closed for conservation work.

Craig Peters wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

Chad,

And the helmet of Sultan Barsbay, a particularly beautiful example of an early 15th century mamluk helmet.
If you like castles then you need to see Carcasonne in France (not far from the Spanish border).
[/img]

Attachment: 42.08 KB
carcasonne.preview[1].jpg

Well, I am currently in Toledo, and y'all are right, all they have is junk swords. But I did go to the Wallace Collection, all I can say is wow, but they wouldn't let me take any pictures. One of the Armories, armory III I believe, was shut down and I didn't get to see some of the artifacts. Tomorrow I'm headed to Madrid to see the museo de ejercito, or the Army Museum, hoping it should be good. Wish I had some pictures of the Wallace Collection, but I will have some pictures up on my website at a later date. If you want to check out some of my Cowboy Action Shooting pictures and vids heres the link.

http://gallery.mac.com/garrettmartin

Thanks again guys, Ill keep you updated

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: