Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Beowulf
Well I don't really know what to think of this. The computer animation in this film has the Spielberg inside of me jumping up and down with excitement but then this movie has the historian and scholar inside of me screaming in rage. I want to know what you guys think.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/beowulf/large.html
Re: Beowulf
Mike H wrote:
Well I don't really know what to think of this. The computer animation in this film has the Spielberg inside of me jumping up and down with excitement but then this movie has the historian and scholar inside of me screaming in rage. I want to know what you guys think.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/beowulf/large.html

I think I will go for the " Spielberg " and just give up on the historic part at least as far as any details are concerned.
( Or maybe even something even remotely historical ).

Visual spectacle of an unhistorical graphic novel maybe like the 300.

Giving up early means being able to enjoy it for what it is and not it could have been. ;)

In any case we have the low budget Beowulf from a while back for consolation. :p :lol:

Bonus: With this technology there can still be a young Angelina staring in new films years from now when she's in the oldfolks home ! Or, CURSE an unending number of Die Hard, Terminator, Rambo sequels until the end of time. :eek:
So, this would be...301?
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Bonus: With this technology there can still be a young Angelina staring in new films years from now when she's in the oldfolks home ! Or, CURSE an unending number of Die Hard, Terminator, Rambo sequels until the end of time. :eek:

And more Rocky sequels...oh wait, they already did that...
Greg Coffman wrote:

And more Rocky sequels...oh wait, they already did that...

Though Rocky has more to do with good makeup and filming (to avoid showing how slow he actually is...); though the digital department will soon have their work cut out to get rid of the Zimmerframe.
I watched that trailer twice... and I must say its a little difficult to see the connection to the original story.

At least it will inspire more people to read the original.
Thats really the most positive thing I can say after seeing the preview.
That's kinda what I was thinking also. Not sure why they don't make a movie closely based on the story. It would make a great movie.

Dan P wrote:
I watched that trailer twice... and I must say its a little difficult to see the connection to the original story.

At least it will inspire more people to read the original.
Thats really the most positive thing I can say after seeing the preview.
I have to admit I'm a tad disappointed, why do they all look vaguely Graeco-Roman? It seems Hollywood has had a severe imagination failure.

I was hoping to see weapons and armour based on the Vendel/Valsgärde and Sutton Hoo finds. :(
Ah, it's all the same "Days of Yore" (TM) costume department...
Hisham Gaballa wrote:
I have to admit I'm a tad disappointed, why do they all look vaguely Graeco-Roman? It seems Hollywood has had a severe imagination failure.

I was hoping to see weapons and armour based on the Vendel/Valsgärde and Sutton Hoo finds. :(

:wtf: I have give up the hope for that, anyway! they use a cool technic for that movie :)
Divx trailer for they w/o QT :cool:
it sortof reminds me of conan the barbarian
fun movie1
i thinkk'll itll be a fun movie.......cuz it has nothing else going for it = )
Great........... Just great.............................. This is what, the third or fourth version of Beowulf on film that they have butchered and ruined??????? Its beyond sad that such beautiful true ancient poetry that is perfect as is, has to get into the hands of idiots and ruined.........
David D wrote:
Great........... Just great.............................. This is what, the third or fourth version of Beowulf on film that they have butchered and ruined??????? Its beyond sad that such beautiful true ancient poetry that is perfect as is, has to get into the hands of idiots and ruined.........

What really boggles my mind is that while it has some historical elements, Beowulf is already a Fantasy story: So why do film makers see any need to adulterate the story at all?
Beyond what Korey said about changing the story what kills me is CGI does not have the limitations real life does in getting armor and costumes for the actors; why do the armor so wrong?

Sad part is that this movie is why Beowulf and Grendal did not get a national release last year. :wtf:
I really liked the other Beowulf movie with (coincidentally?) Gerard Butler.

http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/

but this new one makes the 300 look like masterpiece theater
What is that accent Angelina is using? Is she supposed to be hungarian or something?
Mike,
I think that this should do for Beowulf what that last film did for Arthur, which is to confuse a whole new generation about the original legends, except for those who still take time to read... but thanks to those happy few, the real stuff will live on where the hollywood crap will just make another layer in some land fill site .
Maybe the problem is that the "moral" or "lesson" from the original Beowulf (as I read it, that its good to be strong, brave, honest, and generous) is too simplistic for a modern audience that wants things like self-doubt, romance, temptation, flaws that make heroes seem more human, and the rest of that stuff.
In between the scenes of big dudes ripping the arms off monsters.
From what I can tell from that trailer it looks like Beowulf has an affair with Grendel's mother possibly fathering Grendel....Just a slight deviation from the original ;)
And yet I'm such a geek I'll still probably go see it....
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: