Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about my 'Sword of Revanna' from MRL Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Lewis

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Questions about my 'Sword of Revanna' from MRL         Reply with quote

Hello again everyone,
several years ago I purchased a sword from MRL they called the 'Sword of Revanna'. This was after I fell in love with WMA
but before I had any access to training. Now that I have met some like minded people and am regularly practising and training, I want to put an edge on my half-sharp sword. I mentioned this to the guy who heads up our study group and he thought I should look into MRL quality issues before I find myself in the ER trying very hard to explain my gapping wounds. I have read alot on MRL on this site and the consensus seems to be that new swords are far better than older swords but I don't know what the cut off date is. I bought this sword in 2003 from the MRL store in Georgia and was then told that it was the last they had. That sounded plausible since I had not seen it in their catalog for a long time prior to 2003. Does anyone have any experiences with this sword or others from about this same period? I personaly feel that the sword is excessively whippy. If I hold it in a long guard and turn it so the flat is parallel with the ground the point bends noticibly, but I don't necesarrily think that means it will expode into shards during test cutting. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this, I would hate to ruin this beautiful sword by using it in a way that I shouldn't.

Steve
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about my 'Sword of Revanna' from MRL         Reply with quote

Steve Lewis wrote:
Hello again everyone,
several years ago I purchased a sword from MRL they called the 'Sword of Revanna'. This was after I fell in love with WMA
but before I had any access to training. Now that I have met some like minded people and am regularly practising and training, I want to put an edge on my half-sharp sword. I mentioned this to the guy who heads up our study group and he thought I should look into MRL quality issues before I find myself in the ER trying very hard to explain my gapping wounds. I have read alot on MRL on this site and the consensus seems to be that new swords are far better than older swords but I don't know what the cut off date is. I bought this sword in 2003 from the MRL store in Georgia and was then told that it was the last they had. That sounded plausible since I had not seen it in their catalog for a long time prior to 2003. Does anyone have any experiences with this sword or others from about this same period? I personaly feel that the sword is excessively whippy. If I hold it in a long guard and turn it so the flat is parallel with the ground the point bends noticibly, but I don't necesarrily think that means it will expode into shards during test cutting. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this, I would hate to ruin this beautiful sword by using it in a way that I shouldn't.

Steve

If there is something to worry about it would be with the grip assembly, the type of tang rat tail or a true and sturdy one.

If you can take it apart and the tang is a1/4" rod welded to a short stub of a tang I wouldn't risk using it.

The blade is most probably O.K. , might be too soft but if it has a good spring temper it might bend and take a set if pushed to hard but shouldn't break except maybe at the tang just under the guard if it's really small there or the rat tail might come apart inside the middle of the grip ?

If it's like their more recent improvements it's probably O.K. I don't know if there is a cut-off date between the old " iffy " stuff and the good recent stuff ? Might vary from model to model and some good designs may have had some that are
" lemons " and some that are perfectly good. ( Quality control seems much better now ).

At least this is what I read here: Others with more hands on experience may confirm or contradict some of the above. Question

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a Revanna many, many years ago. I found that the cross-guard was made of brass. I didn't particularly care for that.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about my 'Sword of Revanna' from MRL
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic