Go to page 1, 2  Next

Elizabeth: the golden age
I just found the trailer for this upcoming movie and I think it will interest some here on this site
:lol:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809426394/video/3296319/
This looks brilliant can't wait till its released! Thanks for posting the link. :cool:
Cate Blanchett and Geoffrey Rush reprise their roles from the earlier film. Blanchett does a good Elizabeth. She looks well in armour too.
One hopes that they do a better job of telling Elizabeth's story than the prior movie did. Her story contains sufficient drama and action for two or three Hollywood films and that first piece of costumed junk tried to hype it up with fiction. Bah!
But a gothic harness? It would have been a century out of fashion by 1588.
Sean Flynt wrote:
But a gothic harness? It would have been a century out of fashion by 1588.

70 years old at least. Newer fashions start about 1510.
Well I'm pumped up
Well, the Elizabeth's armour is not the only "too gothic" thing in this late 16th century setting. But I'm not an expert.
Without picking on the details, it looks pretty at least. :D
well i cant wait. ive been wanting another "historical" sword epic for a while. I dont count 300 as one. I think the last one that was in theaters was kingdom of heaven
Saw the trailer in the theater last weekend. Looks good. However, I note what appears to be an historical inaccuracy right out of the box. The fire ships sent against the armada never actually struck a Spanish ship. Looks like that is happening in one scene.
Here is a photo of the infamous armour.

Joseph Fiennes isn't listed in the credits, so apparently Robert Dudley has been written out.

Attachment: 59.65 KB
elizabeth.jpg

Wow, there is definately some artistic license in the design of that harness, but not bad. This is what a sixteenth century armourer would have arrived at, when having been asked to update a century old style. A very interesting interpretation!

Notice the many mid to late sixteenth century features on the various parts? Check out how the Gothic elbow cops were morphed into a later rounded butterfly style. The fluting is exaggerated, yet a certain smoothness or roundedness has been designed into all the parts, deviating from the standard Gothic "sharpness". The pauldrons are definately of a later style, too bad they didn't incorporate turners. I would also like to see photos of the helm and leggings, and especially of the "rear" protection... even if there is none :)

ps; Where do I sign-up to help her suit-up??? No, really...

Last edited by Torsten F.H. Wilke on Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Roger Hooper wrote:
Here is a photo of the infamous armour.

Joseph Fiennes isn't listed in the credits, so apparently Robert Dudley has been written out.

I'm sorry....Why am I thinking LoTR?????
David Evans wrote:

I'm sorry....Why am I thinking LoTR?????[/quote]

I just saw the trailer myself and I'm definitely seeing it. The Royal Navy engaged the Spanish Armada in July of 1588; Dudley died about six weeks later (possibly of stomach cancer). I didn't see Joseph Fiennes in the trailer either, but this could be why. :?:

Perhaps you're thinking LOTR because Cate Blanchett starred in those films too (though I don't think she wore any armour). She sure does resemble her LOTR character in the picture that Roger posted!! I wish I could remember her character's name....

BTW, who's directing this new film?
Edward Hitchens wrote:
Perhaps you're thinking LOTR because Cate Blanchett starred in those films too (though I don't think she wore any armour). She sure does resemble her LOTR character in the picture that Roger posted!! I wish I could remember her character's name....

Cate Blanchett played Galadriel in LOTR.
I should point out that my skepticism about the armour in no way reduces my interest in the film. Looks great--much better, from an arms & armour standpoint, than the HBO film (I wanted to reach through the screen and turn Jeremy Irons' rapier the right way up!).
Cate Blanchett in armour: YUMMY, :D for so many reasons. :blush: :D
Sean Flynt wrote:
I should point out that my skepticism about the armour in no way reduces my interest in the film. Looks great--much better, from an arms & armour standpoint, than the HBO film (I wanted to reach through the screen and turn Jeremy Irons' rapier the right way up!).

Hate to upset you, but from an English viewpoint, that is so right....! For some reason a fashion arose to wear rapiers knucklebow upwards. Annoyingly I can't find a picture of this thro A.V.B.Norman does comment on it!
David Evans wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

Hate to upset you, but from an English viewpoint, that is so right....! For some reason a fashion arose to wear rapiers knucklebow upwards. Annoyingly I can't find a picture of this thro A.V.B.Norman does comment on it!

Well, I did wonder about that. I thought maybe there was some custom to do this at court (to make it difficult to draw the weapon,) but his seemed to be the only weapon carried this way.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: