Go to page Previous  1, 2

Chris Arrington wrote:
Ken, who would you recommend to do heat treating?

I've seen people who would heat treat knives in the 12" range, but I haven't seen anyone who would heat treat anything in the 3' range.

Etienne, do some searching on the internet. I've found many places that sell 5160 by the foot for a very reasonable price in the widths and thicknesses you would need for a sword.

I still would try something small first to get used to the tools and work my way up to larger things in a couple of steps.

But I remember when younger just wanting to charge in an go directly to the maybe overambitious project right away. ;) :lol:

Making a ballock dagger with a 12" blade might be interesting or even a very modest personal knife and pricker to go along with it for civilian wear ?

Something like this just for inspiration: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/dagg199.html
if i'm doing a knife it would be something like this one:http://www.1sks.com/images/mod/mod-cqd5.jpg
I am not sure about suppliers in canada, I get most of my steels through Admiral steel in Chicago, and Cincinatti Tool Steel. Most large cities will have a steel distributor that should either carry tool steels, or can order them.

As for heat treating, the people I would most recommend are located in Michigan. Delbert Ealy may be good to try first, as he offers heat treating on his website. www.ealyknives.com. Also Kevin Cashen(www.cashenblades.com) and Tim Zowada(www.tzknives.com) are two of the most knowledgeable makers I know when it comes to what actually happens during heat treating. I believe all three of them use high temperature salt pots.

I would offer my own services, however, you would have to wait about a month, as I am currently building my sword length salt pots. I can only handle pieces up to 24" right now.

Ken Nelson
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: