A Newbie question or two ...
Does the Vatican have an armory? I imagine a few land poor princes might try to stave off damnation with a snazzy sword or two. And where would I find pictures if one existed?

Also, can anyone recommend a READABLE history of the Middle Ages that might emphasize the reasons, preparations and tactics for their squabbles? Even a good general history of a specific period would suffice, the Norman Conquests for example. I've read a couple good ones: "Civilization of the Middle Ages" by Norman Cantor and "Dungeon, Fire and Sword" by John J. Robinson, about the Knights Templar and the Crusades. I'm guessing asking here would beat a Google search by a mile.

I got interested in the Middle Ages by reading "Timeline" by Michael Chrichton, the movies' out now, I think. I'd like to see if they keep in the part where a character says the surviving suits of armor are so small because they were salesman's samples.

Thanks for reading. Amazing site! John
Papal Armoury and stuff
Hello John

Here are some Pics from the Vatican armory.

http://www.geocities.com/ulfberth/Angelo.htm

As for the salesmen samples this is not true. If they used samples they would have been more doll sized than anything. The reason armor does not have a tendency to seem like it would fit the average joe of today is that most of the 44 regulars were used up as many could get by wearing them. What has had a tendency to survive are the small, xxxL and odd ones. These include innovations that may have proved less than successful and ornate or show items never meant for use. The average armor of the day is one of the rarer beasts out there.

Man for general history of the Middle ages I would not know where to start. I would read as much as you can as the issues and details are so varied over the time period that no 5 books will really cover it completely.

Best
Craig
Craig:
Thanks for the tour! That should give my imagination a little exercise for a while. I'll be looking for Excalibur next.

Thanks again, John

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: