Cocket Hat Pommel
I apologize if this is beaten ground, but does anyone have pics of antique swords (especially blade pictures) with cocket hat pommels?
Here's one I took from the Deutsches Historisches Museum in Berlin:

[ Linked Image ]
Albion has two pics on the page showing the inspiration for the Ritter. Here's one of them:

[ Linked Image ]
Edited to delete pics.....sorry, my bad.

Last edited by Tim Lison on Sun 08 Jul, 2007 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim,

The pommels you posted are either Brazil Nut or Tea Cosy Pommels. Cocked hat pommels specifically have the three raised ridges like the ones in the photos posted by myself and Chad.
Craig,
Interestingly enough, I think the pics you and I posted are of the same sword. :) The one on Albion's site is from a German book showing items from the Museum fur Deutsche Geschichte (what I believe it was called back in East/West German days).
Chad Arnow wrote:
Craig,
Interestingly enough, I think the pics you and I posted are of the same sword. :) The one on Albion's site is from a German book showing items from the Museum fur Deutsche Geschichte (what I believe it was called back in East/West German days).

I guess that explains why the guard looks suspiciously similar to the Ritter. It never occurred to me when taking photos of the sword that I might actually be looking at one that Peter had used for inspiration!
Tim, while those might not be cocked hat pommels, could you open a new thread and re-post those pics? I wish I had gotten a chance to save them, and I think they're worth discussing in their own right.
thanks,
Dan

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: